Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Info Please...Has Anyone Heard Of A "PANAMA" Remix By A Producer Known As DJ Muggs?

This question comes to us from a new fellow by the name of "Mr. Mo". If you folk have any info (and let's face it, there are some fairly resourceful people at this site), please step up to the plate and provide some insight.

"I'm a big Cypress Hill fan, and have for years been collecting all of their group and solo work. Their producer DJ Muggs (Lawrence Muggerud) lists a remix of "Panama" by Van Halen in his discography - http://djmuggs.com/muggs_bio.htm - and also mentions that he's worked with Van Halen in a couple of interviews.

However I can't find any information on this remix e.g. what album it appeared on or when it was recorded. It doesn't appear to feature on any Van Halen records I've seen, and a google search returns nothing useful.

Does anyone here know anything about this remix, and if so, what release is it on?

Thanks,

Mr. Mo"
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.31.09 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for posting that for me chefcraig. Like I said on the other thread, I'm not a VH fan so I don't think I'd get to the 20 posts needed to post a topic.

To give a little more background to this, Muggs has been active as a producer since 1988, and the discography mentioning this Panama remix was posted on his site in 2003. I don't think it's an unofficial remix, as like i said above, he says he's worked with Van Halen in interviews.

When Cypress Hill & Muggs were at their peak in terms of fame (after "Insane In The Brain" and House Of Pain's "Jump Around" had mainstream success in 93), Muggs did remixes for and collaborated with artists like Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, U2, Simply Red and Janet Jackson. I'd guess this track would've been done around the same time in the mid-90's, was there a Van Halen remix project being worked on at that time?

He also did a track for an official Queen remix project, however that project was canned and he doesn't list it on his discog. He does though list some songs that are on fairly obscure promo releases - maybe this only came out as a promo 12", and the album wasn't released?

Anyway, I'm just throwing some ideas out there to see if it jogs anyones memory. I appreciate most VH fans probably don't care about an obscure remix by a hip-hop producer.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

03.06.15 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mr. Mo.....while I'm sure you might be right on your assumption that "most" would not be all that interested, I find these kind of collaborations fun and interesting.....the current trend of "mashups" intrigue me and I think it's kinda cool when artists from distinctly different backgrounds bring their talents together to entertain.

And while the above might be true, I'm certain that you've at the very least piqued the interest of a few fans.....so many of us are diehards and interested in every little morsel of VH stuff out there.....I hope you have some luck finding the info you're after!!
    "Make no mistake. Eddie Van Halen can still kick your ass. The man who single-handedly changed the face of rock is still mean, lean, and sharp as a tack. And if you dispute the ownership of the crown, try to imagine a world without him."~~Billy Corgan/Guitar World (April 1996)

"There's a plaque on our wall that says we've sold over 65 million albums, and I don't feel I've accomplished anything. I feel like I'm just getting started."~~Edward Van Halen

( ( (d(-_-)b) ) )

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150gurl View Post
    Mr. Mo.....while I'm sure you might be right on your assumption that "most" would not be all that interested, I find these kind of collaborations fun and interesting.....the current trend of "mashups" intrigue me and I think it's kinda cool when artists from distinctly different backgrounds bring their talents together to entertain.

And while the above might be true, I'm certain that you've at the very least piqued the interest of a few fans.....so many of us are diehards and interested in every little morsel of VH stuff out there.....I hope you have some luck finding the info you're after!!
    Thanks, I'm exactly the same with Cypress Hill, I'm not too far off owning every song they've ever released.

If you're interested in mashups, they've put up some of the mixtapes Muggs and his affiliates have done over the years for free download over at http://soulassassins.com/?page_id=465 including some mashup tapes. The "Classic Mixtape" in particular is quite good. His "Rock Superstar" mixtape isn't there yet, but it's also quite good, featuring some original vocals done just for the mashups.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little update, I'm led to believe this was intended for the Small Soldiers soundtrack from 1998. That sounds plausible, as the soundtrack for that was 70's & 80's rock remixed by dance & hip-hop artists. The song didn't make the cut though. I've messaged Muggs on myspace to see if it came out on anything else.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

most of them
    Favorite VH Song

ditto
    Last Online

04.14.10 @ 11:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'Temples Of Boom' is one of my favourite albums, never heard of a Panama remix by Muggs tho'....in fact I can't even imagine how it could be done unless VH gave him the original studio tracks. if you find it post it in here as well!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

03.06.15 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mo View Post
    Thanks, I'm exactly the same with Cypress Hill, I'm not too far off owning every song they've ever released.

If you're interested in mashups, they've put up some of the mixtapes Muggs and his affiliates have done over the years for free download over at http://soulassassins.com/?page_id=465 including some mashup tapes. The "Classic Mixtape" in particular is quite good. His "Rock Superstar" mixtape isn't there yet, but it's also quite good, featuring some original vocals done just for the mashups.

Hey, thanks Mr. Mo~~don't know how I missed this from you, but just noticed it now for the first time.....I'll mos def check those out when I get a chance.....
    "Make no mistake. Eddie Van Halen can still kick your ass. The man who single-handedly changed the face of rock is still mean, lean, and sharp as a tack. And if you dispute the ownership of the crown, try to imagine a world without him."~~Billy Corgan/Guitar World (April 1996)

"There's a plaque on our wall that says we've sold over 65 million albums, and I don't feel I've accomplished anything. I feel like I'm just getting started."~~Edward Van Halen

( ( (d(-_-)b) ) )