Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Should Yankee Stadium be torn down?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - as an old building it should be removed when the replacement is built.

19 67.86%
  • No - it's been the site of too much history and should be preserved as such.

9 32.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Default Should Yankee Stadium be torn down?

The city of New York is currently building a new Yankee Stadium right next to the old one, and while I'm sure it will be a beautiful building with the look and feel of their current home, it just doesn't seem right that sometime after this season ends, the "House That Ruth Built" will be reduced to a pile of rubble. Now, for me, the Yankees are the most hated franchise in all of professional sports, my second least favourite (the Dolphins) doesn't even come close. So why do I care? Because as a baseball fan, I appreciate the history that happened on that spot, even if a lot of it did come at the expense of the Red Sox. So my question is - should Yankee Stadium be torn down, or should it be preserved - turned into some kind of museum? It could be a cool museum, not sure how much money it would cost to renovate and preserve the building, though. In my vision the Stadium would be restored to its pre-1974 look. People would enter somewhere on the 1st base/right field side (assuming that's where the Yankee clubhouse is) and first would be a large room, maybe built into the concourse - "the Yankee museum", where there would be artifacts and stats from Yankee history. This would lead into the clubhouse, where fans could see where their favourite Yankee players prepared for the game. They would then head down the tunnel and onto the field where they would hear their name called over the loudspeaker (there would either be someone whose job it was to broadcast names over the PA all day, or have something set up like the "ET" ride at Universal Studios where a computer reads out your name at the end. It would be better with a real voice, though). They would come out of the dugout and over to homeplate for a batter’s eye view, then into the visitors dugout and on into the visitors clubhouse/museum which would house artifacts of the opponents that played at Yankee Stadium, as well as a large “scoreboard” showing every team’s record at the Stadium. The tour could also include a visit to the broadcast booth and/or the executive offices, and also I would keep the Memorial Garden that's there now and start a new one at the new ballpark. People would pay to do that, right?

If Rome can still have the Coliseum after all these years, why can't New York and America keep the greatest stadium ever in our history?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

what reasoning are they giving for doing it? safety? more capacity?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

more luxury boxes, I'm sure.

I forgot to mention that I believe current plans call for keeping the diamond, or maybe even the whole playing surface, but I still think the whole building is part of the history.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I think it should be torn down, but the field saved. With the renovations done in the 70s, Yankee Stadium was largely rebuilt anyway, so it really isn't the same stadium that Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle played in.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Man, I don't know. To be sure, there is a lot of history there, but the Yanks just have never been my cup of tea. I say leave it up to NY as to what to do with it.

Personally, I'm shedding more tears over the loss of the Orange Bowl than anything. Memories of going there with my father and the 72 season are still strong for me.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    what reasoning are they giving for doing it? safety? more capacity?
    The new Yankee Stadium will have a slightly smaller capacity (56K in old, 53K in new), but there will be more luxury boxes, wider concourses and all the ammenities (sp?) of a new stadium.

Oh, and the $10 beer will move to the new stadium.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Id dont like the pinstrips but the place should be redone again its kinda like baseballs version of Mt Sinai.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    The new Yankee Stadium will have a slightly smaller capacity (56K in old, 53K in new), but there will be more luxury boxes, wider concourses and all the ammenities (sp?) of a new stadium.

Oh, and the $10 beer will move to the new stadium.
    then i think its retarded.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    then i think its retarded.
    Oh come on now. Big George has approximately $1.3 BILLION dollars burning a hole in his pocket and he has nothing better to spend it on.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Oh come on now. Big George has approximately $1.3 BILLION dollars burning a hole in his pocket and he has nothing better to spend it on.
    the funny thing is that the city is paying for this. he needs to spend his money on a new head coach.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

The Yankees and city are paying for it. According to Wikipedia (Which may/may not be accurate) the Yankees are paying over $450 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yankee_Stadium

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

The Yankees and city are paying for it. According to Wikipedia (Which may/may not be accurate) the Yankees are paying over $450 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yankee_Stadium
    i just think they could have done something else instead. Yankee stadium is an institution, if its not broke don't fix it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.28.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I believe that the whole building should be saved just for it's historical significance. When the Montreal Canadiens moved out of the Forum, a building that had been around since the beginning of the franchise's history, everyone in Montreal was horrified to learn that the building was being gutted and turned into a movie theater.

I went to that movie theater once it was opened for business, and the only remnants of the old Forum was the spot where center ice used to be. They painted the faceoff circle on the floor and have a small exhibit to inform people of what used to stand there. To me, that is just not right. We're talking about a building where hockey greats such as Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, and Jean Belliveau skated. We're also talking about a building where 24 Stanley cups were either won or paraded after they were won on the road.

Although I'm pretty angry at the end result(movie theater), it all comes down to economics. The land where the forum stood, was worth a good chunk of change, therefore, keeping the building intact was out of the question for the city(greedy bastards). I feel that economics will play a large part in what ultimately becomes of the old Yankee stadium. If the majority of the land can be sold to a developer for a good sum of money, then that stadium will meet the same fate as the Montreal Forum. Let's hope that Yankee fans put up more of a fight than Habs fans did.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Supposedly the land will not be sold to a developer. The above ground structure will be torn down, but everything below ground (including clubhouses and other facilities) will be left alone. The playing field will remain and become a park. I guess the park officials will use the underground space for storage. Hardly a suitable ending, but better then what happened to the Polo Grounds and Ebbets field, where they became low income appartment buildings.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could care less really. Not a Yankee guy though I appreciate the history. If they do keep it up for historical purposes, convert it to a museum or something to keep it active, generating revenue, and assigning people to maintain it.

I travel to Detroit lots for my work and drive by the old Tiger Stadium that is just sitting there falling apart. Granted, the history is a bit different but buildings need to be maintained or they become eye sores, regardless of the history. If someone wants to pay to do that for Yankee stadium, cool. Otherwise, get rid of it.