Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default Marial Arts Movies

    I could swear there was a topic on this in non-music. I did a search and couldn't find it, maybe it was gone after the Great Hack so I thought I might as well start a new one - seing as there are two threads going on on films anyway.

    So well, for whichever reason I've been in a mood for fighting scenes this week and I've re-watched the ones I knew along with some new ones (new to me). I'm pretty sure I've missed more good ones (there's always more). Anyway, here's my list:

    Only The Strong - rather cheesy but still an amazing film about an ex-greet beret (Mark Dacascos) who comes to be a teacher in an extremely poor-discelpline school

    Unleashed - it's probably more a drama movie with occasional fight scenes, I got it because I knew Jet Li was in it but I had no idea he had to co-star with Morgan Freeman. To be honest it's probably one of the best movies I've seen in a couple of years.

    Fist Of Legend - martial arts at it's best. Probably Jet Li's best film as well - it's a remake of Bruce Lee's "Fist Of Fury" - the student goes on a mission to avange his master. Li's fighting scenes in Japanese school, than his girlfriend's uncle and finally the Japanese general are a masterpiece. Youtube "Fist of Legend" - there're all there

    Fearless - Jet Li again, now playing that master that he (as his student) seeked a vengance for in Fist of Legend. I also found out that I'm really drawn to Chinese culture after watching this film (as opposed to Japanese - never liked the guys). Not only it has some brilliant fighting scenes, it also has alot of drama and an insight on the country's history.

    Drunken Master - Chackie Chan is a genius. How did he come to an idea of mixing martial arts with comedy - fuck knows, but they work briliantly together.

    Who Am I - Chackie Chan again, that pretty much sums it up!

    Once Upon A Time In China - Jet Li or not, I thought the movie dragged, and watching it in Chinese didn't help much either.

    Enter The Dragon - again - Bruce Lee or not but I found it terribly lame. If I had seen it back in the 70-ies I would have probably thought otherwise, but that dude-in-charge-of-the-island with a transformable hand annoyed the shit out of me.

    Cradle 2 The Grave - Jet Li vs Mark Dacascos. Despite the cheesiness of the film overally, I really liked the interaction of the main characters. As a martial arts movie it's very good.


    I think that's it. Any more recomendations?

  2. #2
    Banned!
    Join Date
    04.21.04
    Posts
    57
    Last Online

    05.18.08 @ 05:04 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default


  3. #3
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    There can be only one..."A Fistful Of Yen" (from "Kentucky Fried Movie").
    Fist Full of Yen Opening (1:57)

    Klahn's Guards Last Chance (2:19)

    Fist Full of Yen Liu Fights Balkus (3:54)

    Klahn's Dungeon (:59)
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    The movie looks like a total rip-off of enter the dragon . Even the lines that the guys speaks.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,171
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Enter the Dragon is the only one on your list warranting the legend title. The rest is Jet Li biased. Which is fine, he's real good at what he does, but his films just don't have that classic kung fu vibe, IMO. Shaolin Temple is Li's one good flick, I think it was his first. Chan has the moves, but not the charisma, as Bruce Lee did.

    Classic chop-socky cinema: The Seven Samurai, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill Vols. I and II.

    Way of the Dragon is worthy to note because of the end fight between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris.

  6. #6
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    The movie looks like a total rip-off of enter the dragon . Even the lines that the guys speaks.

    The whole movie is a rip-off of a lot of stuff, as well as being funny as hell.

    I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    The movie looks like a total rip-off of enter the dragon . Even the lines that the guys speaks.
    Uhhh...yeah, seeing as it's a parody. Did you bother to even watch the darned thing?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Uhhh...yeah, seeing as it's a parody. Did you bother to even watch the darned thing?
    I didn't realize it was meant to be a parody. Sorry, craig


    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Enter the Dragon is the only one on your list warranting the legend title. The rest is Jet Li biased. Which is fine, he's real good at what he does, but his films just don't have that classic kung fu vibe, IMO. Shaolin Temple is Li's one good flick, I think it was his first. Chan has the moves, but not the charisma, as Bruce Lee did.

    Classic chop-socky cinema: The Seven Samurai, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill Vols. I and II.

    Way of the Dragon is worthy to note because of the end fight between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris.

    Ha I love that scene in Way of Dragon. It's also worthy coz it's probably the only movie where Chuck Norris lost to anyone!

    I gotta give Bruce the props for starting the whole "thing". If it wasn't for Bruce well, it's like specularing what the music world would be without Jimi Hendrix. I like him in almost every movie with the exception of Enter the Dragon, and not because of him - the movie was just meh. Especially the American so-called "fighters".

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,171
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I gotta give Bruce the props for starting the whole "thing". If it wasn't for Bruce well, it's like specularing what the music world would be without Jimi Hendrix. I like him in almost every movie with the exception of Enter the Dragon, and not because of him - the movie was just meh. Especially the American so-called "fighters".
    Aw, dude, Enter the Dragon is the king. Cheesy, yeah, but so were all the 70s. Before you were born, we grew up in that decade with disco, bell bottoms, Marilyn Chambers, Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson and Convoy, the birth of blockbuster film (Jaws and Star Wars), Van Halen I, and Enter the fuckin' Dragon.

    And those American fighters were kewl! John Saxon and Jim Kelly. Island full of numbnut kung fu initiates. Asian whores and opium dens. Nasty baddie old man with removable weapon prosthetic hands. Cheeseball sound effects. What's not to like?

    You're just too used to modern age CGI and cinematography, a product of your era. Understandable, but that's why the oldies are a genre unto themselves.

    BACK THEN, that shit looked kewl, believe it. Give yourself a real treat and watch some of the very first special effects, like the original King Kong, or the early Godzilla flicks, or the Sinbad Saturday matinee movies. Now there's some stop motion guy-in-a-rubber-suit cheese.

    But that's what makes 'em endearing.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    I was always partial to "5 Fingers of Death", perhaps because it was the first such movie I'd ever seen (one is highly impressionable at age 11 ).

    I had the pleasure of seeing it again recently, and it still holds up. The film is also known under the title "King Boxer".

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  11. #11
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.21.03
    Posts
    3,080
    Last Online

    07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Jet Li's fighting the whole Parisian police force in "Kiss of the Dragon" was pretty cool.

    I picked up an obscure flick (by American standards), "Dragon Tiger Gate". No English subtitles/dubbing but some cool fighting every other second.

    And, I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I dig the fight between Michelle Yeowh and Zang Ziyi in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Aw, dude, Enter the Dragon is the king. Cheesy, yeah, but so were all the 70s. Before you were born, we grew up in that decade with disco, bell bottoms, Marilyn Chambers, Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson and Convoy, the birth of blockbuster film (Jaws and Star Wars), Van Halen I, and Enter the fuckin' Dragon.

    And those American fighters were kewl! John Saxon and Jim Kelly. Island full of numbnut kung fu initiates. Asian whores and opium dens. Nasty baddie old man with removable weapon prosthetic hands. Cheeseball sound effects. What's not to like?

    You're just too used to modern age CGI and cinematography, a product of your era. Understandable, but that's why the oldies are a genre unto themselves.

    BACK THEN, that shit looked kewl, believe it. Give yourself a real treat and watch some of the very first special effects, like the original King Kong, or the early Godzilla flicks, or the Sinbad Saturday matinee movies. Now there's some stop motion guy-in-a-rubber-suit cheese.

    But that's what makes 'em endearing.
    I love original Godzilla! I especially remember the one where a goup of scientists (or whoever they were) go to an island with all relict creatures and there is this scene where mother Godzilla teaches baby 'zilla to fire-breath, and the baby monster could only choke smoke-rings. And then they all freeze in the end



    Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post

    And, I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I dig the fight between Michelle Yeowh and Zang Ziyi in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".
    I think I might have seen this one on youtube. Is it the one where them two fighters face each other, then close their eyes and proceed fighting in the "mental/dream/twilight" world?

    I've been sceptical towards this movie coz I've read very mixed reviews about it. Something like Matrix-spin-off with ninjas? What is it about anyway?

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,171
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I've been sceptical towards this movie coz I've read very mixed reviews about it. Something like Matrix-spin-off with ninjas? What is it about anyway?
    It doesn't matter. The fight in the trees is worth a look-see all by its lonesome. Something new in cinema is a rarity. That's why the Matrix's bullet-time was cool as well.

    New is hard to come by in storyland.

  14. #14
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.21.03
    Posts
    3,080
    Last Online

    07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I think I might have seen this one on youtube. Is it the one where them two fighters face each other, then close their eyes and proceed fighting in the "mental/dream/twilight" world?
    I personally love "Crouching Tiger....". It has fantastic Hong Kong "wire" acrobatic fight scenes that are beautiful if completely unrealistic. In a nutshell, its a love story intertwined into an action/martial arts film. It is beautifully shot and the cast (Chow Yun Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Zang Ziyi) are quite good as well as amazingly athletic. And, for me, the kicker is that Michelle Yeoh is gorgeous. I'd watch her read the phone book.

    I think you'll like it. From what I gather, we have similar taste in movies.

  15. #15
    Sinner's Swing! Rick S's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.29.99
    Location
    Wilmington ,Delaware
    Posts
    3,128
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    mean street
    Last Online

    06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    1. The Story of Ricky a.k.a Riki Oh

    the craziest most violent kung fu movie ever. exploding heads , people being stangled with intestines , eating razor blades , punching through bodys , so cheesy and gory this movie is comical.

    2. The 5 Deadly Venoms , a cult classic and the prototype wire-fu , super abilities movie.


    also the godzilla movie youre talking about is "Son of Godzilla" thats actually Godzilla teaching his son "Manilla" how to fight.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

    1love4chi

    Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

    Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Booze Banned In PNC Bank Arts Center Parking Lot
    By Yesterdays in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08.19.07, 08:45 PM
  2. Tim Allen to star in mixed martial arts movie...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08.05.07, 08:00 PM
  3. Dirty movies vs. No Bone Movies?
    By Mattyo5150 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.06.02, 08:29 AM
  4. Need some PNC Bank Arts Center info
    By astrotrain in forum "Song For Song" Tour 2002
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08.20.02, 07:43 AM
  5. RUSH tonight, PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ!!!!
    By DLR'sCock in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07.17.02, 10:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •