Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Marial Arts Movies

I could swear there was a topic on this in non-music. I did a search and couldn't find it, maybe it was gone after the Great Hack so I thought I might as well start a new one - seing as there are two threads going on on films anyway.

So well, for whichever reason I've been in a mood for fighting scenes this week and I've re-watched the ones I knew along with some new ones (new to me). I'm pretty sure I've missed more good ones (there's always more). Anyway, here's my list:

Only The Strong - rather cheesy but still an amazing film about an ex-greet beret (Mark Dacascos) who comes to be a teacher in an extremely poor-discelpline school

Unleashed - it's probably more a drama movie with occasional fight scenes, I got it because I knew Jet Li was in it but I had no idea he had to co-star with Morgan Freeman. To be honest it's probably one of the best movies I've seen in a couple of years.

Fist Of Legend - martial arts at it's best. Probably Jet Li's best film as well - it's a remake of Bruce Lee's "Fist Of Fury" - the student goes on a mission to avange his master. Li's fighting scenes in Japanese school, than his girlfriend's uncle and finally the Japanese general are a masterpiece. Youtube "Fist of Legend" - there're all there

Fearless - Jet Li again, now playing that master that he (as his student) seeked a vengance for in Fist of Legend. I also found out that I'm really drawn to Chinese culture after watching this film (as opposed to Japanese - never liked the guys). Not only it has some brilliant fighting scenes, it also has alot of drama and an insight on the country's history.

Drunken Master - Chackie Chan is a genius. How did he come to an idea of mixing martial arts with comedy - fuck knows, but they work briliantly together.

Who Am I - Chackie Chan again, that pretty much sums it up!

Once Upon A Time In China - Jet Li or not, I thought the movie dragged, and watching it in Chinese didn't help much either.

Enter The Dragon - again - Bruce Lee or not but I found it terribly lame. If I had seen it back in the 70-ies I would have probably thought otherwise, but that dude-in-charge-of-the-island with a transformable hand annoyed the shit out of me.

Cradle 2 The Grave - Jet Li vs Mark Dacascos. Despite the cheesiness of the film overally, I really liked the interaction of the main characters. As a martial arts movie it's very good.

I think that's it. Any more recomendations?

Banned!
    Last Online

05.18.08 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

There can be only one..."A Fistful Of Yen" (from "Kentucky Fried Movie").
    Fist Full of Yen Opening (1:57)

Klahn's Guards Last Chance (2:19)

Fist Full of Yen Liu Fights Balkus (3:54)

Klahn's Dungeon (:59)
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The movie looks like a total rip-off of enter the dragon . Even the lines that the guys speaks.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Enter the Dragon is the only one on your list warranting the legend title. The rest is Jet Li biased. Which is fine, he's real good at what he does, but his films just don't have that classic kung fu vibe, IMO. Shaolin Temple is Li's one good flick, I think it was his first. Chan has the moves, but not the charisma, as Bruce Lee did.

Classic chop-socky cinema: The Seven Samurai, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill Vols. I and II.

Way of the Dragon is worthy to note because of the end fight between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    The movie looks like a total rip-off of enter the dragon . Even the lines that the guys speaks.

The whole movie is a rip-off of a lot of stuff, as well as being funny as hell.

I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

Uhhh...yeah, seeing as it's a parody. Did you bother to even watch the darned thing?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Uhhh...yeah, seeing as it's a parody. Did you bother to even watch the darned thing?
    I didn't realize it was meant to be a parody. Sorry, craig

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Enter the Dragon is the only one on your list warranting the legend title. The rest is Jet Li biased. Which is fine, he's real good at what he does, but his films just don't have that classic kung fu vibe, IMO. Shaolin Temple is Li's one good flick, I think it was his first. Chan has the moves, but not the charisma, as Bruce Lee did.

Classic chop-socky cinema: The Seven Samurai, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill Vols. I and II.

Way of the Dragon is worthy to note because of the end fight between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris.

Ha I love that scene in Way of Dragon. It's also worthy coz it's probably the only movie where Chuck Norris lost to anyone!

I gotta give Bruce the props for starting the whole "thing". If it wasn't for Bruce well, it's like specularing what the music world would be without Jimi Hendrix. I like him in almost every movie with the exception of Enter the Dragon, and not because of him - the movie was just meh. Especially the American so-called "fighters".

Last Online

Donor

I gotta give Bruce the props for starting the whole "thing". If it wasn't for Bruce well, it's like specularing what the music world would be without Jimi Hendrix. I like him in almost every movie with the exception of Enter the Dragon, and not because of him - the movie was just meh. Especially the American so-called "fighters".
    Aw, dude, Enter the Dragon is the king. Cheesy, yeah, but so were all the 70s. Before you were born, we grew up in that decade with disco, bell bottoms, Marilyn Chambers, Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson and Convoy, the birth of blockbuster film (Jaws and Star Wars), Van Halen I, and Enter the fuckin' Dragon.

And those American fighters were kewl! John Saxon and Jim Kelly. Island full of numbnut kung fu initiates. Asian whores and opium dens. Nasty baddie old man with removable weapon prosthetic hands. Cheeseball sound effects. What's not to like?

You're just too used to modern age CGI and cinematography, a product of your era. Understandable, but that's why the oldies are a genre unto themselves.

BACK THEN, that shit looked kewl, believe it. Give yourself a real treat and watch some of the very first special effects, like the original King Kong, or the early Godzilla flicks, or the Sinbad Saturday matinee movies. Now there's some stop motion guy-in-a-rubber-suit cheese.

But that's what makes 'em endearing.

Last Online

I was always partial to "5 Fingers of Death", perhaps because it was the first such movie I'd ever seen (one is highly impressionable at age 11 ).

I had the pleasure of seeing it again recently, and it still holds up. The film is also known under the title "King Boxer".

George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jet Li's fighting the whole Parisian police force in "Kiss of the Dragon" was pretty cool.

I picked up an obscure flick (by American standards), "Dragon Tiger Gate". No English subtitles/dubbing but some cool fighting every other second.

And, I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I dig the fight between Michelle Yeowh and Zang Ziyi in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Aw, dude, Enter the Dragon is the king. Cheesy, yeah, but so were all the 70s. Before you were born, we grew up in that decade with disco, bell bottoms, Marilyn Chambers, Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson and Convoy, the birth of blockbuster film (Jaws and Star Wars), Van Halen I, and Enter the fuckin' Dragon.

And those American fighters were kewl! John Saxon and Jim Kelly. Island full of numbnut kung fu initiates. Asian whores and opium dens. Nasty baddie old man with removable weapon prosthetic hands. Cheeseball sound effects. What's not to like?

You're just too used to modern age CGI and cinematography, a product of your era. Understandable, but that's why the oldies are a genre unto themselves.

BACK THEN, that shit looked kewl, believe it. Give yourself a real treat and watch some of the very first special effects, like the original King Kong, or the early Godzilla flicks, or the Sinbad Saturday matinee movies. Now there's some stop motion guy-in-a-rubber-suit cheese.

But that's what makes 'em endearing.
    I love original Godzilla! I especially remember the one where a goup of scientists (or whoever they were) go to an island with all relict creatures and there is this scene where mother Godzilla teaches baby 'zilla to fire-breath, and the baby monster could only choke smoke-rings. And then they all freeze in the end

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post

And, I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I dig the fight between Michelle Yeowh and Zang Ziyi in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".
    I think I might have seen this one on youtube. Is it the one where them two fighters face each other, then close their eyes and proceed fighting in the "mental/dream/twilight" world?

I've been sceptical towards this movie coz I've read very mixed reviews about it. Something like Matrix-spin-off with ninjas? What is it about anyway?

Last Online

Donor

I've been sceptical towards this movie coz I've read very mixed reviews about it. Something like Matrix-spin-off with ninjas? What is it about anyway?
    It doesn't matter. The fight in the trees is worth a look-see all by its lonesome. Something new in cinema is a rarity. That's why the Matrix's bullet-time was cool as well.

New is hard to come by in storyland.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I might have seen this one on youtube. Is it the one where them two fighters face each other, then close their eyes and proceed fighting in the "mental/dream/twilight" world?
    I personally love "Crouching Tiger....". It has fantastic Hong Kong "wire" acrobatic fight scenes that are beautiful if completely unrealistic. In a nutshell, its a love story intertwined into an action/martial arts film. It is beautifully shot and the cast (Chow Yun Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Zang Ziyi) are quite good as well as amazingly athletic. And, for me, the kicker is that Michelle Yeoh is gorgeous. I'd watch her read the phone book.

I think you'll like it. From what I gather, we have similar taste in movies.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1. The Story of Ricky a.k.a Riki Oh

the craziest most violent kung fu movie ever. exploding heads , people being stangled with intestines , eating razor blades , punching through bodys , so cheesy and gory this movie is comical.

2. The 5 Deadly Venoms , a cult classic and the prototype wire-fu , super abilities movie.

also the godzilla movie youre talking about is "Son of Godzilla" thats actually Godzilla teaching his son "Manilla" how to fight.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.