Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default OHM Question for an H & K combo and Marshall Cab

    Hey there,
    My Hughes and Kettner combo (20th Anniversary model) that I just bought has a speaker out jack on the back that says 20 watts @ 8-16 OHMS.

    I purchased today a preowned Marshall 2x12 1936 Lead cab that is 8 OHMS. I plugged it in and it seems that I am only getting sound from one Marshall speaker and the H & K speaker.

    Is this right? I tried the Marshall Cab at my local store with an H & K Alex Lifeson head and it worked with both speakers (at least I thought it did) because the sound was so full and killer!

    Is the OHMS configuration only giving me two speakers at once and can't handle a third speaker or am do I have a broken speaker? In other words...am I getting mono versus stereo?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    On Fire TAMPA VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.18.07
    Age
    51
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    331
    Favorite VH Album

    VH2
    Favorite VH Song

    OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

    09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Hey there,
    My Hughes and Kettner combo (20th Anniversary model) that I just bought has a speaker out jack on the back that says 20 watts @ 8-16 OHMS.

    I purchased today a preowned Marshall 2x12 1936 Lead cab that is 8 OHMS. I plugged it in and it seems that I am only getting sound from one Marshall speaker and the H & K speaker.

    Is this right? I tried the Marshall Cab at my local store with an H & K Alex Lifeson head and it worked with both speakers (at least I thought it did) because the sound was so full and killer!

    Is the OHMS configuration only giving me two speakers at once and can't handle a third speaker or am do I have a broken speaker? In other words...am I getting mono versus stereo?

    Thanks
    The cab should have a switch in the back to put in on either 8 or 16. Are there only one input and one output?

  3. #3
    On Fire TAMPA VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.18.07
    Age
    51
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    331
    Favorite VH Album

    VH2
    Favorite VH Song

    OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

    09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    The cab should have a switch in the back to put in on either 8 or 16. Are there only one input and one output?
    I think i may have missed what you were saying.... Are you getting sound out of the Marshall cab only? If so, only one of the speakers? If it does not have a stereo switch, it may only play through the cab and the combo is merely working as the head.

  4. #4
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    I think i may have missed what you were saying.... Are you getting sound out of the Marshall cab only? If so, only one of the speakers? If it does not have a stereo switch, it may only play through the cab and the combo is merely working as the head.
    Hi, I am getting sound from the H & K (a 1 x 12) and one speakere of the Marshall Cab...one speaker not making noise. So, two of the three speakers are working.

    I dont see any switch that makes it 8 or 16 ohms on the cab.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    ...i got it tested and the speaker was not working...either the wire was loose or a bad speaker.

    They are fixing it for me now. might have to order a new speaker.

    Sucks! but oh well....my amp is working just fine for now and the cab will be a welcome friend home soon!

    Thanks guys

  6. #6
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,974
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Likes
    2,612
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    That's very similar to how I run my H&K in my main live setting. Speaker out to an Avatar 2x12 with a V30 and a Heritage H30. I mic the 2x12, but have the combo pointing in the general direction of the mic.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Question for 5150 Combo experts
    By ncbuckeye3 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03.30.08, 12:51 PM
  2. Question for 5150 combo owners
    By cam-5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10.05.06, 06:43 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04.26.05, 01:25 PM
  4. Marshall AVT50 combo........
    By bcgvh in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01.23.05, 08:36 PM
  5. Marshall power brake / 5150 combo
    By Space Tape in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07.31.02, 11:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •