Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default British Internet Providers To Fight Illegal Downloading

Can't be arsed to google for the link of any article, but I've listened to the coverage on this on BBC at work and that's what it is in a nutshell -

while the government is thinking of the crackdown plan on piratebay.com, major broadband providers, including Virgin, thought of another solution. All their customers' ongoing traffic is monitored, as it is anyway, and once the customer downloads something dodgy, they receive the first warning. Two more warnings and the customer is being cut off. Simple as that.

Now, I don't proud myself of internet piracy, but here's where I stand. In many cases I have no choice but download things like American tv shows coz a) I don't have a tv and b) they're not broadcasted on the tv anyway unless until half a year later than their American release.

Next, in my case I see free downloading as a massive advertising compaign. If I download an album by some band and I love it, I will eventually go to the CD store and get it, so I'd be able to properly read the lyrics, read the thankyou's/acknowledgements, have a better look at the cover art etc. If the album is crap or meh I wouldn't have bothered buying it in any case - just like if I've overheard the songs on radio and thought "meh, bollocks". I don't listen to radio, but it's free. Whatever's the difference between that and downloading, someone fucking tell me.

I had downloaded each of Lord of the Rings first - now I have a million disk super-extended premium boxset that cost me like quarter of my wages. Same with Blade Runner anniversary edition, Indie boxset, Matrix boxset, E.R. series on DVD, fuck even movies like Chronicles of Riddick and Green Mile that I wouldn't have seen otherwise unless I had downloaded them before.

Illegal downloading, wooo! Piracy! Arr.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Whatever's the difference between that and downloading, someone fucking tell me.
    No problem:

Listening to the radio = free and legal

Downloading music/movies without paying = STEALING and illegal

A near perfect copy of the entire album that can be burned to cd. Artwork can be printed off. Lyrics and credits on the band's website. There ya go. Free album.

Radio doesn't provide that. Rarely do they play an album in it's entirety where it can be copied at cd quality.

It's stealing dude.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post

A near perfect copy of the entire album that can be burned to cd. Artwork can be printed off. Lyrics and credits on the band's website. There ya go. Free album.
    Now why would I need to do that? I don't even own a stereo, not that I ever take the CDs I buy out of the box - I'm very content with mp3s on my laptop.

Doing that and selling the product - yep, very illegal. That's what Chinese market provides to half of the world.

I'm not sure you kinda get the point I'm trying to get across. So let's say you go to your mates flat and you see a DVD case of the movie you've heard of but never watched, so you borrow the film of him. Stealing, right? You never paid for it but you can pretty much indefinately watch it - I mean how many times do you really have to see a casual movie? So you don't like it - you give it back to your friend. You find it's awesome and you go and buy a copy of your own.

I download the film, I don't like it - I get rid of it. Recycled to hyperspace, erased - period. I love it - I go to the store and buy a copy of my own.

Man. I feel like a fucking terrorist

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

ok.....I guess then anyone who's ever downloaded my KSCUM shows is guilty of stealing then. Boy.....dont that suck?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Lol seriously. Why do you think many TV channels allow free streaming/downloads of the shows. Smallville etc.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Now why would I need to do that? I don't even own a stereo, not that I ever take the CDs I buy out of the box - I'm very content with mp3s on my laptop.

Doing that and selling the product - yep, very illegal. That's what Chinese market provides to half of the world.

I'm not sure you kinda get the point I'm trying to get across. So let's say you go to your mates flat and you see a DVD case of the movie you've heard of but never watched, so you borrow the film of him. Stealing, right? You never paid for it but you can pretty much indefinately watch it - I mean how many times do you really have to see a casual movie? So you don't like it - you give it back to your friend. You find it's awesome and you go and buy a copy of your own.

I download the film, I don't like it - I get rid of it. Recycled to hyperspace, erased - period. I love it - I go to the store and buy a copy of my own.

Man. I feel like a fucking terrorist

LOL Well, whatever makes you feel better, but it's stealing.

I understand what your'e saying and I agree with it to a point, but facts are facts. It's stealing. There's plenty of ways to hear music online for free LEGALLY. Bands put songs on their websites, Amazon and itunes offers samples. There's still radio and now uncensored Satellite radio (but that isn't free, so that might not be appealing to you )
    As far as borrowing a movie from a friend, are you making a copy of the movie? Then yes, that's illegal. Just like downloading a copy for free on the net. no difference.

No one called you a terrorist , so the dramatics are unnecessary. It's not the crime of the century, but it's still taking something that you didn't pay for, no matter how many angles you can come up with.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Lol seriously. Why do you think many TV channels allow free streaming/downloads of the shows. Smallville etc.

Are they offerering DVD quality files for free? I doubt it. They SELL those seasons on dvd, I really don't think they'd give them away for free, not at DVD quality at least.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    ok.....I guess then anyone who's ever downloaded my KSCUM shows is guilty of stealing then. Boy.....dont that suck?
    Not the show itself since you offered it up for free, but the copy written songs, sure.

Again, not the crime of the century, I doubt there would be any legal action taken on Kscum, Inc. by any of the bands, but technically, it probably is illegal.

I actually agree that it probably helps music in some ways, it's a way to get music to the masses very quickly, but if the bands aren't making money, then who will pay for them to MAKE the music? There's a middle ground with things like iTunes or Amazon selling songs so cheap, but people just want it free and that's killing what we love so much. I'll pay a couple bucks for the shitty mp3s to check out new music. If it's good, I'll buy the actual cd. Mp3 is worthless to me. Or listen to the legal samples online, no need to download the files illegally.

I dunno, whatever. People will never stop as long as its free.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    Are they offerering DVD quality files for free? I doubt it. They SELL those seasons on dvd, I really don't think they'd give them away for free, not at DVD quality at least.
    Well, I agree on that - and that's how I see downloading of feature movies. They're by far not DVD quality, same as with streaming shows online, plus it's not just the quality factor. I really like behind-the-scenes footage, making-ofs', documentaries and any bonus material they pile on extra disks. I am glad to pay money for all of that, to support the actors/musicians/anyone involved.

To be quite honest, Paw, it's really down to my budget. I'd be more than happy to be able to go to the shop and get any movie that catches my eye. As in now, I'm just a student with 18-hours p/week job. So if my provider blocks the access to P2P networks, I wouldnt even be able to buy whatever limited number of movies/albums I can afford now because I'm in the situation when I can't spend money on a cat in a bag.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

To be quite honest, Paw, it's really down to my budget. I'd be more than happy to be able to go to the shop and get any movie that catches my eye. As in now, I'm just a student with 18-hours p/week job. So if my provider blocks the access to P2P networks, I wouldnt even be able to buy whatever limited number of movies/albums I can afford now because I'm in the situation when I can't spend money on a cat in a bag.
    With all due respect, not having the money to buy music and movies (which are a luxury, not a necessity) doesn't justify stealing them.

I totally understand where you're at, I wasn't always able to afford any album I wanted, but when I did save up to go to the record store (what are those old man?????? ) it made the purchase that much more special and it made me appreciate the album as something more than just a digital file on a computer. Songs had names not just "Track 5" (no offense to our very own track5 - out )

And sure, Metallica is not gonna be broke anytime soon because a kid downloads an album of theirs.....but tomorrow's Metallica may never see the light of day because of it. Bands today need to be a hit right out of the gate, gone are the days when a band could take 3 or 4 albums before they catch on. The internet is a double edged sword, on one hand it spreads the music fast and cheap, but if no one actually PAYS for the music, then the band will never have the chance to grow.

anyway......