Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Here's An Interesting Question (I Hope)

The other day I was out hiking at Point Lobos (google it and eat your heart out) and I came across a very tall and very dead Monterey Pine. This tree was maybe just shy of 100 feet tall and though it was clear that this tree had been dead for a couple of years it wasn't going to fall down easily. This got me to thinking about the tree's age, which I estimated at over 120 years (Monterey Pines only live between 60 and 140 years) and then I briefly thought about all the ways the world had changed since it had sprouted and began to reach for the Sun. Then I though about something else, something I'd never considered before and this question consumed the rest of the hike and much of the rest of the day.

The questions that came to me were:

How did people define themselves 120 years ago?

How would I have defined myself 120 years ago?

It was 1888.

My great grandfather owned a General Store, first in Dresden, Ohio, and later in Green City Missouri. His brother was a Doctor, who served in one of the Ohio regiments during the Civil War and later made house calls year 'round until he died of old age. Both where honest men, hard working men and men that other people trusted and looked up to.

I like to think that I would have either been a craftsman or a teacher. My grandfather did both fron 1907 to 1920, he taught music and science in Brownsville, Texas and Kirksville, MO and in the summers he built barns, boats and houses.

It certainly was a different time, the country was still unsettled in the West and a person with some guts and imagination could certainly make his mark in the world. Maybe hop aboard a Clipper ship or steamer and work as a deck hand so one could travel the world.

Anyway, it was something I hadn't thought of before and it gave me a couple of days of stuff to think about.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

I think Sam's great grandfather was better than Dave's great grandfather.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

If we'd had the internet back then it would have sucked because nobody had invented computers yet.

Don't read this.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Kinda cool, isn't it Axx? When I go camping I usually have the same thoughts. Back before the logging went through, how many men spent as much time up along Lake Superior as I do now? What have these cliffs and stones seen, and what will they see?

If I were alive 120 years ago, I think there's a good chance that I could be in the same line of work that I am now. I'd probably be married, and have a few children. My hobbies would be vastly different. No computer, no model airplanes. I'd still have my books, but they'd be quite a bit different, too.

I think one man could still invent useful things back then. Maybe I'd give the Wright brothers some competition.

Then again, I might be dead, too. I had a nasty kidney stone when I was 22.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well here's a vast field for me to consider, with all my heritage.

If I was to be descended from my dad's father's birthline, I'd be in Khazachstan doing pretty much the same things people do there now. Whatever it is that they do, aside from horseback riding.

My dad's mom lived in St. Petersburg (then Leningrad then St. Petersburg again). The capital of Imperial Russia, probably top-2/top-3 city in the world tied with Paris or London. But since my grandmom's parents had been mare salespeople I'd have probably ended up doing boring-ass store logistics until I'd be joining the Imperial Army in WW1. If I was to survive that, then 1917 revolution. Then depends on what choice I would have made. If I was to join "White Army" I'd either migrate to Europe withing few years, or be killed. If I'd have joined "Red Army" and survived, I might have been one-in-ten people to go to concentration camps in Cyberia. If that would have avoided me I'd be recruited for 1939 Finnish War. If I was to survive that I'd be drafted for WW2 compaign. So in other words I most probably would have been dead before I'd have reached 50.

If I was to be born in Lithuania, like my mother's mom, I'd ended up living boring ass life without nothing much happening.

Well, my mother's dad's scenario would have been different. He was descended from an aristocratic family with titles/castels in Germany and Switzerland. I'm pretty sure half of this path would be very similar to my second one - WW1, WW2 and everything in between.

Now that I look at it, I'm really glad I wasn't born 120 years ago

Edited: God English tenses grammar is a bitch!
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 03.31.08 at 09:42 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    If we'd had the internet back then it would have sucked because nobody had invented computers yet.
    That sounds like a Deep Thought by Jack Handy.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

You made me think of being a kid again, Axx. I considered questions like yours much more often then. I actually carry a bit of resentment for the everyday stresses that hit us as adults; they consume a lot of time and energy and thwart the imagination somewhat.

Ironically, I was just thinking of something similar about an hour ago, and I was considering the same interval of time. What we must push ourselves to do in this day and age is significant in order to achieve "success." It seems there is a lot of definition required for that success, and we latch onto marks of accomplishment (degrees, awards, etc.). Even just 120 years ago life would have been a different brand of hard--it'd be a little closer to basic survival with food, work, and family. But I don't think things have necessarily become that much easier.

Honestly, I have no idea what I would've been doing 120 years ago. This was a good topic to bring up, though.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have no dought I would have been one of those long haired outlaws that would sit in the saloon, playing poker, getting drunk, raising hell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

..........so it would've been Gore's Great grandfather that would've claimed it as his then.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being a woman of Irish heritage, it would have been a very bleak existence. Only being able to go to primary school, expected to marry young and possibly die during child birth, having no voting rights, no modern conveniences so the week exists of laundry one day, baking another day, mending and sewing another day, cleaning, and taking care of the kids, I would really rather not dwell on what life would have been for me.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    The other day I was out hiking at Point Lobos (google it and eat your heart out)
    I've been to Point Lobos. YOU SUCK!

Interesting question indeed. I think, given the path my life has taken and trying to transpose that to 120 years ago, I'd probably be a craftsman or a smith, being that I basically work with my hands and wits, albeit with high-tech equipment. But, as my heritage is a bit disrupted with most of my mother's family (Japanese) being killed during WWII, things may have been way different had my mom been raised by her parents (my grandfather was a banker/businessman). I imagine things would have been a bit more hand-to-mouth. I dunno. If you would have asked this question to me 20 years ago, I probably would say I would have been a cowboy or train robber but 20 years ago I was more brash, delusional, and stupid.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

120 years? Probably be in England. Not sure what I'd be doing - my family allegedly made pianos, but I have yet to find any evidence of pianos with my family name on them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

Fighting the Ottoman Turks or Austrian Habsburgs...more likely than not a sheep herder by trade
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I would have been a ninja.
    Nothing to see here.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I most probably would have been a farmer. I would like to think that I would own a general store, but farming is what my family did way back when.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)