Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hughes & Kettner?

Any info would be appreciated. Are they just a cheap line6? Just looking to buy a low end practice amp.

Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some Hughes & Kettner amps are actually really nice. I believe Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson uses them... What kind of amp do you want? For example, do you want tube, solid state or hybrid? What kind of tone do you want (Rock, blues, metal, nice clean tone, etc.)?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:13 AM
    Liked 2,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

H&K is definitely not just a cheap Line 6. I have a Edition Tube 20th and couldn't be happier with it. The little thing sounds huge in a room and even better mic'd. Look into them. They've great some amps.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can get the Tommy Thayer signature model, & you too, can play like ACE

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a Blue 60r, that would make a great practice amp, but I ended up selling it for my Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 head...I couldn't keep up with the other guy in the band who was playing a Bogner. I used to pipe it through the PA with a Red Box, it sounded okay, but didn't have the power I needed and the solo channel on my Mesa helped me cut through when I did a solo.

It was a nice amp, just not the rig I needed.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    I had a Blue 60r, that would make a great practice amp, but I ended up selling it for my Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 head...I couldn't keep up with the other guy in the band who was playing a Bogner. I used to pipe it through the PA with a Red Box, it sounded okay, but didn't have the power I needed and the solo channel on my Mesa helped me cut through when I did a solo.

It was a nice amp, just not the rig I needed.

That is the response I was looking for. I was thinking about the blue 15...just for a bedroom amp. I've heard they do well, and the reviews are great but I wanted a bit more feedback.

The 15 is only 70 bones at MF, what the hell. Thanks guys.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 15w was sold out. Ordered the 30 instead. After reviewing though I noticed that the 30 is the only blue they offer that doesn't have a Celestion speaker....Jenson instead.

Will this make a huge difference?

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would trade my Marshall stack for a comparably-priced H&K any day.

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it's just a practice amp, I don't think it would matter what kind of speaker you had in there, unless you are REALLY picky about the tone. I just looked on Ebay, there are some 15s, 30s and 60s. I had mine for about six months, think I bought it for $250 or something like that new, then sold it for $150 on Craig's List.

I also switched out of it because I wasn't totally in love with the distortion, it wasn't as versitle as I needed it to be, so I had a Metal Zone pedal and the regular distortion pedal on my board at the time, not to mention the MXR Micro Amp pedal for a boost. I was in a mostly cover band then and needed many different types and that boost. I got the Mesa and I have the clear, middle of the road channel (more of a Black Crowes/bluesy tone), then the channel 3 (Kings X late 90s warm melodic sound) for my meat and potatoes crunch that I use 80% of the time...not to mention the solo channel, that helps my leads cut through the mix. I cleared out three spots on my board, got the EVH flanger to fill two of those and got a distortion I was way more happier with...but if I had to get a good, reliable and nicely priced practice amp, I would buy a H&K again...I like the sound better than the Marshall 30 or 40 watter I had before it.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    H&K is definitely not just a cheap Line 6. I have a Edition Tube 20th and couldn't be happier with it. The little thing sounds huge in a room and even better mic'd. Look into them. They've great some amps.

Hey McFly! I just bought the H & K tube 20th and it is one hell of an amp. It blew my mind when I first heard it cranked. I had to have one. Plus...best of all...H & K has discontinued them. Nice little gems I tell ya!

Enjoy it.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never played an H&K but I look forward to. Their flagship amp has 9 preamp tubes!