Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Parting Out/Destroying Guitars On Ebay...

Something I've seen for awhile and I guess I finally felt compelled to post about it....

...the sellers on Ebay that dismantle BRAND NEW guitars and sell the parts individually. I run across this all the time particularly with Fender Strats. I'm looking to pick up another Powerhouse Strat only to find the body and pickguard assembly in one listing, the tremolo in another, the neck in another, the tuners in another.... and the tags are still hanging on the 2008 neck in that listing. It's a little disturbing I think. I understand the concept of capitalism, etc., but this is a little off center for me. There are mass sellers out there on ebay (e.g. reliablefender) that I find it hard to believe Fender doesn't revoke their agreement with since they are obviously buying brand new guitars from them and then taking the screwdriver to them as soon as they hit the door. And I have to believe that it's the reason why Fender switched the features of their Highway One necks. The necks used to be identical to the USA necks (22 medium jumbo frets, same headstock). Now they are the 70's era LARGE headstocks with JUMBO frets.

I'm done now.

Chris

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

You're right, Chris. It's frustrating. I browse eBay for guitar parts a couple of times a day, and I've seen the very listings you're talking about and others. Ever notice just how many of those crappy Wal-Mart/Target Starcaster and Baldwin guitars end up on the 'bay as parts? Lots! But it's of course more disappointing to see better guitars taken apart. A couple of years ago there were a couple of sellers doing it with Wolfgangs (which seemed like sacrilege to me!).

For every cool thing out there, there's someone who'll take advantage of it and exploit it for money.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah it is a shame to see such new and cool guitars get parted. Btw, I love the highway one strat. I want to buy one but they are 1000 bucks!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel your pain.
    Its like parting out a new car so someone can just buy the engine.
    When I first started doin the custom building biz, I wasn't as rampid as it is now. But for a guy like me, Im glad they do. It would suck having to shell out alot of cabbage for a whole guitar just for that perfect neck. Now its easy to just locate and buy it.
    Way back, I had to decide on what my money makeing specialty would be. Finishes, repair, or custom guitar work. I've found that most players like to modify or "personalize" a certain guitar. So that was the rout I took.
    A Strat with a different sounding pickup. A trem instead of a stoppeice, ect. So for me, I find the "Stratosphere" type bigwigs a value. The parts are new, so you know what your getting. It always sucked when you would go to the crapshoot and receive a part thats just too "used" to use.
    It did used to freak me out about parting out certain axes, but Im glad they do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    I feel your pain.
    Its like parting out a new car so someone can just buy the engine.
    When I first started doin the custom building biz, I wasn't as rampid as it is now. But for a guy like me, Im glad they do. It would suck having to shell out alot of cabbage for a whole guitar just for that perfect neck. Now its easy to just locate and buy it.
    I think there's a big misconception with that.
    I recently had a customer send me an Ibanez RG that needed work.
    The previous owner had installed a Floyd nut himself, and in doing so, routed about 1/2" into the first fret which threw the whole damn guitar out of scale.

Thanks to parts whores and those who pay those ridiculous prices, I found the same guitar (a whole guitar) in "like new" condition for less than I could have bought just the neck!

I stripped the neck for my customer, and threw the loaded body on eBay with a starting bid of $1 and it sold for more than I purchased the whole guitar!

I certainly don't advocate stripping guitars and I agree with nast2112 ...
    I think people like "reliablefender" should have their license agreement revolked for their business practices.

I only did what I had to do in order to help a customer.
    I certainly don't make a habit of stripping guitars for profit.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shit. That's free enterprise.
    Once you buy somethin, you can do what you want with it.
    As long as there is demand, there will be supply.
    So if ya gotta be pissed, be ticked at the poeple that buy, not sell.
    I get kinda freaked when I see guys selling "sets" of reflectors for Frankenstrats and say "they very well may be the same brand as Eddie used"
    Great ploy. But poeple buy em for 75 bucks plus.
    Or the guy that sells "kits" for a Frankenstrat and the shit is nothing like the stuff Eddie used. But poeple buy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have a problem with it, just not sure how he does it. I took a couple of his guitars and looked at what the completed auctions got and best I could tell, he only about broke even based on retail price. He may be a dealer getting stuff cheap, but I tend to think he is getting them on the secondary market.

Now, if he is a dealer, I commend him for his ingenuity. In all the small towns around me, brick and mortar guys are dropping left and right due to the internet, here you may have a brick and mortar guy that has figured out a way to make it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    So if ya gotta be pissed, be ticked at the poeple that buy, not sell.

I agree ...
    The buyers are the ones driving the market, not the sellers.
    If buyers choose to pay a premium for stripped parts, well ... that only offers more incentive for people like "reliablefender".

Further proof would be the fact that these guys start their auctions at .99!
    If buyers had enough sense not to get caught up these bidding wars, then maybe the market for these stripped parts wouldn't be what it is today.

Not to mention the fact that most buyers look to eBay for "deals" when in fact alot of those parts can be purchased from authorized distributors direct at a much lower cost.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Yeah it is a shame to see such new and cool guitars get parted. Btw, I love the highway one strat. I want to buy one but they are 1000 bucks!
    I'm not sure a Highway One is $1000. More like $750 but a year or 2 ago they were $600. And this is kind of my point. I have to believe that Fender saw what was happening on ebay to their new Highway Ones. They're not stupid. They jacked up the price (which hurts people that want to buy a new WHOLE guitar) to deter parting it out. I'm sure this is part of the price increase. Changing to the large 70's-era headstock and jumbo frets are not mainstream enough and people are not going to pay the same amount for these necks as the more desirable smaller vintage headstock medium-jumbo frets. There will come a point where they push up the price and what people are paying for the parts on ebay sold by Stratosphere that they will no longer make money doing it and it will slow down the cannibalism of their guitars.

Chris

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

with wolf standards going for about 1500 a pop on ebay i can't see how anyone can make money parting these.

it might work for cheaper models, things like fenders and ibanez as they are a dime a dozen.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know what kills me. Has really nothing to do with the distruction.
    But what kind of a buttfuck only bids a dollar seventy somethin for a body like that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

02.14.14 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

btw, i dont know about the paint on that body..looks funny... like spray..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH-NYC View Post
    btw, i dont know about the paint on that body..looks funny... like spray..
    Yeah. I agree. But thats what makes guys like me buy em.
    Oh...what Id do with that body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

5150 - F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD
    Last Online

02.14.14 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nahh!!! there's a few COMPLETE w case and paperwork wolfgang specials on craigslist for $450 USA Specials not EXP.. its better to buy and paint one of those