vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Default Need help!!

i have been having a lot of computer problems as of late. as result, i transfered all my crucial info to a spare hard drive so i could reformat. i took that spare hard drive was trying to pull info off of it to my laptop and as soon as i plugged it in it started smoking. it looks like a resistor or something of that nature that burned up. can this be replaced? i am devastated that i lost this info, 1000's of songs and pictures. my only hope is that maybe the part can be replaced.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

If it means that much to you look in to Data Recovery places online. They can generally save any info on a non functioning hard drive. It may cost you though. Could be upwards of $1000.00, but if it was family pics and such that can never be replaced than it may be worth it.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Well, if it's a "resistor or something", then you could be in luck. Inside that external harddrive is typically a standard-issue computer harddrive. So if you have access to a desktop computer, you could hopefully remove the harddrive from its internal components and run it as a slave on the desktop computer; or you could buy a new enclosure. I would try the slave route first if you can, though, because if it is the actual harddrive itself that is fried, you'd be wasting your money buying an enclosure for it.

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Well, if it's a "resistor or something", then you could be in luck. Inside that external harddrive is typically a standard-issue computer harddrive. So if you have access to a desktop computer, you could hopefully remove the harddrive from its internal components and run it as a slave on the desktop computer; or you could buy a new enclosure. I would try the slave route first if you can, though, because if it is the actual harddrive itself that is fried, you'd be wasting your money buying an enclosure for it.
    you talking about cracking it open?

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yup. It's easy to do.

Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Yup. It's easy to do.
    i thought it ruined the drive to open the case.
    i can just swap it out with another drive case? do i have to worry about compatibility? i need more info in how to do this. i am certain my info is good just the resistor got smoked.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What's the make/model of the drive? Most of these type of drives can just be removed from the enclosure and stuck inside another PC. If it uses a Windows format (NTFS or FAT), you'll be fine, as long as the drive itself wasnt damaged.
    If it uses a Linux filesystem (some do), then you will need software to read the drive, but its not a difficult process at all.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    If it means that much to you look in to Data Recovery places online. They can generally save any info on a non functioning hard drive. It may cost you though. Could be upwards of $1000.00, but if it was family pics and such that can never be replaced than it may be worth it.
    Windows Live have just launched SkyDrive feature - you can upload up to 5GB for free - no limit - with public sharing. In other words, indefinate amount of space providing you can be arsed with registering more than one hotmail account.

NMDH - unfortunately hard drives are SOBs like that. Feds would probably be able to retrieve the info from it, but I doubt any local PC repairs would do it.
    Been there done that, I lost about 3 physical hard drives, and fuck knows how many logical.

Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    What's the make/model of the drive? Most of these type of drives can just be removed from the enclosure and stuck inside another PC. If it uses a Windows format (NTFS or FAT), you'll be fine, as long as the drive itself wasnt damaged.
    If it uses a Linux filesystem (some do), then you will need software to read the drive, but its not a difficult process at all.
    i know its a maxtor 160gb. not sure the model number.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a similar thing happen to an external drive. I opened the case, removed the hard drive, hooked it up as a slave, and was able to use it as a slave in my pc. It worked fine, I still us it as an extra storage on that pc. It is a little slower than my C drive but I am able to excess the data.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

"Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

How did youcopy everything to this spare drive? Was the spare drive in your machine or was it in an external enclosure (connected via usb)?

If it was in your machine then the data recovery place is the best bet.
    If it's in an external enclosure then you can probably open it up and remove the hard drive and put it in your machine or in another enclosure.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by namedmydaughterHALEN View Post
    you talking about cracking it open?
    Yep - probably a couple of screws, one of which will be covered with a "not to be removed without voiding warranty" sticker, which, if you're already out of warranty - who cares! - one inside you'll have the actual hard drive and little else - only question then becomes what kind of connector - standard IDE or SATA - and then where do you want to be able to connect it (a PC or another enclosure). Again, though, once you get the hard drive out - treat it with extreme care (don't drop it!) and avoid static

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Yep - probably a couple of screws, one of which will be covered with a "not to be removed without voiding warranty" sticker, which, if you're already out of warranty - who cares! - one inside you'll have the actual hard drive and little else - only question then becomes what kind of connector - standard IDE or SATA - and then where do you want to be able to connect it (a PC or another enclosure). Again, though, once you get the hard drive out - treat it with extreme care (don't drop it!) and avoid static
    Billy is on track here. Other folks... well, I know their intentions are good but they're confusing the situation.

Yes, you'll void the warranty. But the data on the drive is what matters to you, right?

Be careful to pull any connectors straight out, so that you don't bend any pins. Once you have the drive out, we can help you figure out what kind of external case to buy. It'll cost less than $30.

The pre-packaged external drives from Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate often have really shitty cases. Molded plastic with little tabs here and there. A good case isn't hard to get into or out of, but some of those pre-packaged ones... oh lordy.

Anyway, just go slowly. Nothing is helped by haste. This is something that you really can do. It may seem intimidating, but that's because you haven't done it before. We can help with that.

Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Billy is on track here. Other folks... well, I know their intentions are good but they're confusing the situation.

Yes, you'll void the warranty. But the data on the drive is what matters to you, right?

Be careful to pull any connectors straight out, so that you don't bend any pins. Once you have the drive out, we can help you figure out what kind of external case to buy. It'll cost less than $30.

The pre-packaged external drives from Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate often have really shitty cases. Molded plastic with little tabs here and there. A good case isn't hard to get into or out of, but some of those pre-packaged ones... oh lordy.

Anyway, just go slowly. Nothing is helped by haste. This is something that you really can do. It may seem intimidating, but that's because you haven't done it before. We can help with that.
    i appreciate all help guys!
    so do i need to buy the external case before, seems odd to yank out drive without anything to immediately put it in. also where can i aqquire an empty external drive case?

i will try to get some of this done this weekend.