Favorite VH Album

Live Right Here, Right now
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

11.19.10 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH mention

Mention of VH from a great interview by Andrew at Melodicrock with Herbie Herpert who was the manager for Journey from 1973-1993.
    Full interview link below.

http://www.melodicrock.com/interview...ieherbert.html

MR Andrew - I'm gonna come back to this in a minute… but right now, in '84, the mid '80s if they'd have made a break, a similar sort of break as what happened with Van Halen in '86. They brought in Hagar and did a left turn with their sound and they lost some fans but won some others - just like Journey did in '78.

HH - Exactly, that's when they shifted to Sammy Hagar from David Lee Roth. Right exactly and that was a brilliant move and very effective and you know I made a solo record that you may have in your collection called Hagar, Schon, Aaronson, Shrieve.

MR Andrew - Absolutely, love it, for sure.

HH - And you know, we know Sammy really well. He's one of our best friends, he comes to our birthday parties and yadda, yadda, yadda.

MR Andrew - Oh I love Sammy. I'm an absolute diehard Sammy Hagar fan.

HH - Yeah exactly, he's a great friend and of course we knew intimately. And of course I love the story of the '78 Journey tour with Journey, Montrose and Van Halen. The tour started on March 1 in Racine, Wisconsin 1978. And I said, 'Hey Neal, be sure to get a look at the opening band. I want you to go and see them and give me a call.' Then I got out to Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland, the big cities, Pittsburg, Philly, every time I'd say 'Hey Neal, you seen the opening band yet?' He goes, 'No man, I never get there on time. I'll do it, I'll do it.' When I finally get to New York, I'm sittin' in the lobby, Pat Morrow the road manager brings 'em in. He's taken them out to the NEW radio and the Sam Goody stores and all that and they got just enough time to grab their clothes and maybe a little bit of food and I say 'hey Neal have you seen the opening band' and he goes 'no' and I say 'give your room key to Pat. He'll bring your guitars and all your shit. You're going with me right now'. I took him to the theater. We were sold out 3500 people and I said let's just walk in and sit down. We walk in the front door and sit down and he looks around and says, 'Where's all the people?' I go 'the people don't come until very late. I mean hardly anybody sees this band'.
    And even when we were done there was maybe a thousand people out of 3500 when their set was over. But when they started playing Running With the Devil and You Really Got Me and Jamie's Crying and all that stuff, and all the guitars Neal was just blown away. Blown away and he says 'man I gotta meet that guy, I gotta learn that stuff and I mean, you think he'll teach me that shit?' (laughter) I says 'man if you'll teach him some of those melodies you come up with'. He say 'whadaya mean'. I go, 'the man can't believe the melodies'. 'You mean he watches me?' I said, 'He watches your every note.' On this whole tour he hasn't missed a note you played and you haven't seen him once. So from then on he never missed a note. And they've become very good friends.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Great story...Neal is so good. Maybe one day we will get some version of Sammy and Neal on stage.
    Last edited by edwardv; 03.27.08 at 10:44 AM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Great story...Neal is so good. Maybe one day we will get some version of Sammy and Neal on stage.
    I saw HSAS back in the day when they recorded their album which was essentially a live album without the audience track. Great stuff though I thought Schon was trying to be too heavy with his tone and approach but it was a change from Journey.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:48 AM
    Liked 550 Times in 382 Posts

Neal Schon is a great guiatrist, very underrated.

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    I liked his stuff with bad english too....
    keVH

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Absolutely.

He may also be the only guitarist in a band with bigger lead singer issues than Van Halen.

Little Dreamer Eddie Van Einstein's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Humans Being
    Last Online

07.20.08 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    Absolutely.

He may also be the only guitarist in a band with bigger lead singer issues than Van Halen.
    LOL!!! Truth, but don't leave Drowning Pool out of that equation either...They're on album number three with a third lead singer.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Absolutely.

You beat me to it

Neal's a tremendous guitarist. I'm a huge fan of pre-Cain Journey, which is really when Schon showed off his chops and proved what he could do. Hell, even some of the Cain era stuff features damn good axe work (Chain Reaction, Edge of the Blade). Though most of it, to me, isn't up to par with his 1975-1980 guitar work.

But you're right, he's got serious issues with singers, and has awful people skills. There isn't much of a difference between Schon and EVH in that regard, but at least Schon, albeit as low as it was, formally fired their last two singers.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

I totally agree!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

04.30.13 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Absolutely.

Ain't that truth! But re-recording their classics with a new lead singer? Interesting. Not sure how that will go over.

It's like VH re-recording the first album with a DLR-sound alike.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Neil is a great guitarist. He may be underated by the public, but musicians and guitarists sure know how talented he is. The cat can flat out rip, but also is very tasteful and melodic.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:48 AM
    Liked 550 Times in 382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    You beat me to it

Neal's a tremendous guitarist. I'm a huge fan of pre-Cain Journey, which is really when Schon showed off his chops and proved what he could do. Hell, even some of the Cain era stuff features damn good axe work (Chain Reaction, Edge of the Blade). Though most of it, to me, isn't up to par with his 1975-1980 guitar work.

But you're right, he's got serious issues with singers, and has awful people skills. There isn't much of a difference between Schon and EVH in that regard, but at least Schon, albeit as low as it was, formally fired their last two singers.

Dont listen to Journey much anymore but LOVED them starting around 1983 with Frontiers when i was 5 years old. Seperate Ways was the first song that i ever got as a human being. Know all thier albums, but disagree with you on the pre-cain. Escape and Frontiers are thier two best albums.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Neil is a great guitarist. He may be underated by the public, but musicians and guitarists sure know how talented he is. The cat can flat out rip, but also is very tasteful and melodic.
    Yep, listening to Captured right now, and I can't believe how good that album is, even today.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Escape and Frontiers are thier two best albums.
    Only reason I'm going to disagree is because, while "Mother, Father" and "Edge of the Blade" are on those albums, and are two of my favorite Journey songs, the quality of the songs, to me, became very stale. To me, by this point the rock tracks were becoming generic, and the ballads were standard ones (and while I dislike ballads, Faithfully has always stuck with me).

Escape is a great album and still features some rockers that you'd expect to hear from the Rollie years. Frontiers is where, to me, it started to go for them.

To each his own, man. But to me, there was something very special about Journey pre-Cain, especially on the first three albums with Perry. They were a completely different band, and the music was pretty unique. Their rockers really smoked, and their ballads were pretty much just nice pop songs, which I don't have a problem with.

Post-Cain Journey is pretty much hit or miss for me. There are some songs I REALLY like, and then a lot of songs I just can't stand.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Very cool

This is the kind of story I like to read. It is so interesting to hear that Neal was not at odds or jealous about Ed's new techniques. I sure would like to hear more of these kind of events. Rudy Leiren could probably tell us some great ones.

I wonder what all those guys thought when they heard Ed playing. Not just the licks and songs, the Sound must have blown them away. More stories please.