Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Default Van Halen Have ALWAYS Been Good Actors...

So what's my point? Well, let's take a trip through history, shall we?

Back in 1984, I'm certain by this point the band pretty much hated each other to their last wit. Yet, watch the boots that we have been given on video, especially the "Lost Weekend" DVD. They seemed so happy together doing their thing. However, based on history and stories told from Ed, Dave, and Mike, there had been issues by Fair Warning, and by this point I'm sure it was the final straw for the rest of them.

Look at the Balance Tour in 1995. Everyone was all smiles throughout the entire tour, but according to Sammy Hagar's reports, it was Sam and Mike vs. Ed and Al the whole time. You see the Toronto and Pensacola videos and they all seemed so happy together, and musically, it was one of their finest tours as well. Reports from all parties state otherwise.

VH3 Tour in 1998. You KNOW Ed wasn't having much fun touring behind a commercially failed musical view, and while he probably had some fun playing the older tunes, you could tell there was tension. Watch ANY boot from the tour and there doesn't seem to be much comfort between any party, and there seemed to be an extreme discomfort (no pun intended) by Gary.

2004 we saw Ed always smiling, going up to Mike, messing with Sam, and early on these things were very apparent. Yet, when you fast forward to now, look at the animosity he has towards both people. We know Sam wasn't happy and I'm sure neither was Mike, but they also looked as if they were enjoying themselves.

What does this all mean? How do we as fans know this isn't just another act in the play? I don't care about "brotherhood" either because that shit obviously hasn't flown over the past couple tours. You may say to yourself, "Dave and Ed hug each other and like each other this tour", and while that may be true that they do display affection, how are we sure that this isn't just them stringing us along again?

I'm going to regret posting this thread because I know a lot of VHIV supporters will flame me all across the board, but I'm interested in people's thoughts. How can we be so sure VH aren't acting their respect for each other out to get us playing the game? I mean, it isn't like it hasn't happened before...
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    So what's my point? Well, let's take a trip through history, shall we?

Back in 1984, I'm certain by this point the band pretty much hated each other to their last wit. Yet, watch the boots that we have been given on video, especially the "Lost Weekend" DVD. They seemed so happy together doing their thing. However, based on history and stories told from Ed, Dave, and Mike, there had been issues by Fair Warning, and by this point I'm sure it was the final straw for the rest of them.

Look at the Balance Tour in 1995. Everyone was all smiles throughout the entire tour, but according to Sammy Hagar's reports, it was Sam and Mike vs. Ed and Al the whole time. You see the Toronto and Pensacola videos and they all seemed so happy together, and musically, it was one of their finest tours as well. Reports from all parties state otherwise.

VH3 Tour in 1998. You KNOW Ed wasn't having much fun touring behind a commercially failed musical view, and while he probably had some fun playing the older tunes, you could tell there was tension. Watch ANY boot from the tour and there doesn't seem to be much comfort between any party, and there seemed to be an extreme discomfort (no pun intended) by Gary.

2004 we saw Ed always smiling, going up to Mike, messing with Sam, and early on these things were very apparent. Yet, when you fast forward to now, look at the animosity he has towards both people. We know Sam wasn't happy and I'm sure neither was Mike, but they also looked as if they were enjoying themselves.

What does this all mean? How do we as fans know this isn't just another act in the play? I don't care about "brotherhood" either because that shit obviously hasn't flown over the past couple tours. You may say to yourself, "Dave and Ed hug each other and like each other this tour", and while that may be true that they do display affection, how are we sure that this isn't just them stringing us along again?

I'm going to regret posting this thread because I know a lot of VHIV supporters will flame me all across the board, but I'm interested in people's thoughts. How can we be so sure VH aren't acting their respect for each other out to get us playing the game? I mean, it isn't like it hasn't happened before...
    Might as well close the thread...because this is all that needs to be said
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.25.08 at 09:37 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

I'm sure Van Halen (in any form) is not the only band to 'act' a certain way on stage. Look at any workplace. You may not like a co-worker but if you are on a team with that person, you just deal with it.

Would folks pay for tickets if the band members are constantly fighting or ignoring each other on stage? Maybe but happiness certainly sells more tickets.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well. I aint goin out drinkin with em or goin to the strip club. As long as I get my moneys worth at a show, Im cool.
    When I was a kid, I had a best friend named Glen. I hung with this dude ALL the time. My mom used to tell me that if you hang like that, you'll turn into like brothers and start to fight.
    She was right.
    When you spend so much time with the same poeple, animosity is eventually gonna happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

and the Oscar goes to...
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

you want to see drama watch the Temptations movie vh has nothing on them.

Anyway i heard Val got caught with Gary and thats what ended that

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

One major reason I started this thread is for a snap of reality into some people. I mean, if this whole thing is a farce, those of you expecting a new album or another tour may be sorely disappointed. And frankly, I don't see a new album on the horizon.

I just think fans are getting ripped off by another greatest hits tour from 3/4's of the band with ZERO new songs. Something tells me expectations for these guys are outrageously high at this point. New album, world tour, etc. How do we know this isn't going to blow up like 2004 did?

Something tells me those expectations will be crushed. I hope they prove me wrong.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, ya know, that whole "We are brothers" line that Dave threw out last summer at the press conference was just that, a line. Probably said to get us fans reinterested in them and promote the upcoming tour. I didn't believe it then, nor do I now. Nor do I believe they will give a new album to us. This was a one shot deal, Dave merely wanted to be the front man for Van Halen again and the VH Bros had no other options left. They each got what they wanted.......

but, did we???

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    Well, ya know, that whole "We are brothers" line that Dave threw out last summer at the press conference was just that, a line. Probably said to get us fans reinterested in them and promote the upcoming tour. I didn't believe it then, nor do I now. Nor do I believe they will give a new album to us. This was a one shot deal, Dave merely wanted to be the front man for Van Halen again and the VH Bros had no other options left. They each got what they wanted.......

but, did we???
    I hope, even if Mikey is not brought back, that you're wrong. I really do.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

but, did we???
    Actually, i think the VH bros. did have options.
    Sammy has always said he'd be happy to come back IF Ed could get his shit together.

As for the on stage act being, well, an act, of course it is. Every band does it to some degree. (Ace Frehley isn't really from outer space, Peter Criss isn't actually a cat, Henley/Frey can't stand each, Axl Rose is really a delight etc etc.)
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Lets not forget ................ they are PERFORMERS ...... putting on a SHOW!!
    The better the professional, the more real they make it look!

Why the surprise here ???

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.26.09 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but, did we???
    Anyone who believes one word out of DLR's mouth is an utter fool!!!!!!!!!!
    He's a self-serving ego-maniac. But he is a great singer and showman, as long as he stays sober!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get me a Doctor
    Last Online

05.18.10 @ 01:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IslandBoy View Post
    Lets not forget ................ they are PERFORMERS ...... putting on a SHOW!!
    The better the professional, the more real they make it look!

Why the surprise here ???
    Exactly.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less if they got along offstage or not. I am content as long as they deliver a top notch show for the night I happen to catch them. They can despise one another when they exit the stage and it would have no impact on my life.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

Of course it's an act. The 'spontaneity,' the brother love. It's been a dog and pony show onstage since at least the Fair Warning tour.

I'd hazard a good guess the only time there was real genuine fraternity between the boys with Dave was the pre-label Pasadena backyard and Sunset strip club days, perhaps the first world tour with Journey and Sabbath, and possibly the tour for II. And with Sam, studio sessions and subsequent tours for 5150 and OU812, when Sam and Ed lived next door to each other.

Apart from those windows, it's ALL been a grit-teeth facade, mostly thanks to the guitarist, though I don't think Dave's megalomania helped much either.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by David Scott View Post
    Exactly.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less if they got along offstage or not. I am content as long as they deliver a top notch show for the night I happen to catch them. They can despise one another when they exit the stage and it would have no impact on my life.
    See me, I'd rather not see a band "faking it", because I believe they'd sound better if they got along and actually WANTED to be there. The band's OU812 Tour was awesome, very energetic. Possibly the most energetic the band ever was with Sam. And as Squal said, they probably got along then, too.

I'd just rather have the guys getting along. And I never said they weren't this tour, but there's always the possibility, and given the past I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't keen on each other right now. I think a band's performance reflects just how much they like each other, which is why it would impact me and my experience at the show.

2004 is the perfect example. While Ed's alcohol abuse contributed to poor performances, I also think it could've been better if there hadn't been any animosity between Sam, Mike, and Ed.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but whatever...