Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default Oklahoma man who was declared dead says he feels 'pretty good'

I love the last line in the story, given by Zach. Too funny.

OKLAHOMA CITY— Four months after he was declared brain dead and doctors were about to remove his organs for transplant, Zach Dunlap says he feels "pretty good.''

Dunlap was pronounced dead Nov. 19 at United Regional Healthcare System in Wichita Falls, Texas, after he was injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident. His family approved having his organs harvested.

As family members were paying their last respects, he moved his foot and hand. He reacted to a pocketknife scraped across his foot and to pressure applied under a fingernail. After 48 days in the hospital, he was allowed to return home, where he continues to work on his recovery.

On Monday, he and his family were in New York, appearing on NBC's ``Today.''

``I feel pretty good. but it's just hard ... just ain't got the patience,'' Dunlap told NBC.

Dunlap, 21, of Frederick, said he has no recollection of the crash.

``I remember a little bit that was about an hour before the accident happened. But then about six hours before that, I remember,'' he said.

Dunlap said one thing he does remember is hearing the doctors pronounce him dead.

``I'm glad I couldn't get up and do what I wanted to do,'' he said.

Asked if he would have wanted to get up and shake them and say he's alive, Dunlap responded: ``Probably would have been a broken window that went out.''

His father, Doug, said he saw the results of the brain scan.

``There was no activity at all, no blood flow at all.''

Zach's mother, Pam, said that when she discovered he was still alive, ``That was the most miraculous feeling.''

``We had gone, like I said, from the lowest possible emotion that a parent could feel to the top of the mountains again,'' she said.

She said her son is doing ``amazingly well,'' but still has problems with his memory as his brain heals from the traumatic injury.

``It may take a year or more ... before he completely recovers,'' she said. ``But that's OK. It doesn't matter how long it takes. We're just all so thankful and blessed that we have him here.''

Dunlap now has the pocketknife that was scraped across his foot, causing the first reaction.

``Just makes me thankful, makes me thankful that they didn't give up,'' he said. ``Only the good die young, so I didn't go.''
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

This calls for the observations of one man, and one man only:

George Carlin...

"Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do “practice”?
    I wanna live. I don’t wanna die. That’s the whole meaning of life: Not dying! I figured that shit out by myself in the third grade.
    No one who has had “Taps” played for them has ever been able to hear it.
    The planet is fine. The people are fucked.
    Most of the time people feel okay. Probably it’s because at the moment they’re not actually dying.
    The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice
    I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights.
    If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little
    If you live long enough, sooner or later everybody you know has cancer."

http://blogzarro.com/?p=226
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Good call chef.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    I love the last line in the story, given by Zach. Too funny.

OKLAHOMA CITY— Four months after he was declared brain dead and doctors were about to remove his organs for transplant, Zach Dunlap says he feels "pretty good.''

Dunlap was pronounced dead Nov. 19 at United Regional Healthcare System in Wichita Falls, Texas, after he was injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident. His family approved having his organs harvested.

As family members were paying their last respects, he moved his foot and hand. He reacted to a pocketknife scraped across his foot and to pressure applied under a fingernail. After 48 days in the hospital, he was allowed to return home, where he continues to work on his recovery.

On Monday, he and his family were in New York, appearing on NBC's ``Today.''

``I feel pretty good. but it's just hard ... just ain't got the patience,'' Dunlap told NBC.

Dunlap, 21, of Frederick, said he has no recollection of the crash.

``I remember a little bit that was about an hour before the accident happened. But then about six hours before that, I remember,'' he said.

Dunlap said one thing he does remember is hearing the doctors pronounce him dead.

``I'm glad I couldn't get up and do what I wanted to do,'' he said.

Asked if he would have wanted to get up and shake them and say he's alive, Dunlap responded: ``Probably would have been a broken window that went out.''

His father, Doug, said he saw the results of the brain scan.

``There was no activity at all, no blood flow at all.''

Zach's mother, Pam, said that when she discovered he was still alive, ``That was the most miraculous feeling.''

``We had gone, like I said, from the lowest possible emotion that a parent could feel to the top of the mountains again,'' she said.

She said her son is doing ``amazingly well,'' but still has problems with his memory as his brain heals from the traumatic injury.

``It may take a year or more ... before he completely recovers,'' she said. ``But that's OK. It doesn't matter how long it takes. We're just all so thankful and blessed that we have him here.''

Dunlap now has the pocketknife that was scraped across his foot, causing the first reaction.

``Just makes me thankful, makes me thankful that they didn't give up,'' he said. ``Only the good die young, so I didn't go.''
    Yeah this story has been big here since it happend. A true miracle!
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

What a cool sotry!!! I like the Happy storys.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

This Happy Story; brought to you by:

ME

TAAAAAAAAAA DAAAAAAAAAAA

with a li'l help from the Associated Press
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw this story on TV last night and while amazing, something just isn't right here. Was he dead? Evidently not.... Who fucked up? Are brain scans fool proof? I don't know... All i do know is that this makes very little sense, someone screwed up somewhere during this whole deal.
    Thank God the kid is alive, and it sounds like he may make close to a full recovery.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It takes a real trooper to still have that kind of zest for life after dying.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Definitely a cool story.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Makes me wish this had happened when they said my dad was in this situation.

But I'm so glad for Zach and his family. I love what he said in that last line. He's one lucky guy, that's for sure. Makes one wonder if those brain monitors are fool-proof, as somebody else mentioned here.

EDIT: Thanks for the Carlin! He's one of my heroes.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

We just watched this story here at the house the other night. Pretty amazing stuff.

I wonder if that's a normal thing for people with traumatic head injuries? I had two concussions in about a year and a half span and something that I noticed is that I didn't have much patience for anything, and that for someone that's normally pretty even tempered, I got angry very quickly. This continued for several weeks after each concussion.

Or, was he talking about the patience to rehabilitate?
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

I wonder if that's a normal thing for people with traumatic head injuries?

Yeah it is. I took a psychology class dealing with different parts of the brain and their function... and when people get a particular part injured, it effects that parts function. One guy could actually see colors when he heard music, and another guy had a railroad spike go through his head. Before it happened he was a really nice guy, and afterwards he basically was a total asshole.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_kudochop View Post
    and another guy had a railroad spike go through his head. Before it happened he was a really nice guy, and afterwards he basically was a total asshole.
    ...yeah, I'd probably be an asshole after a railroad spike went thru my head too. 'Course, that's just me though...

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

That seems to happen after a head injury. My brother in law had a pretty bad head injury a couple of years back and he was meaner than a mofo until he got better. He's not mean at all but I think the injury really affected his behavior. It was pretty scary b/c he was just plain violent until he recovered and got meds.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One