Register

Thread: Vintage Guitars

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Vintage Guitars

Just curious ...
    How old does a guitar have to be in order to be considered "vintage"?

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dunno...is it a number of years, or pre- a certain year? like pre-'75?
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I frequent the Fender Discussion Page. I am pretty sure that over there, the rule of thumb is about 25 years old. To you young guys, that seems old, but as a 37-year old guy, that seems like yesterday when I think about a 1983 model guitar being vintage.

Most of the ads I see when referring to vintage guitars always show anything prior to 1970 and refer to the 70's Strats as "70's Strats," not vintage.

So, pick your poison. In my mind, it would be something older than me, and I am a 1970 model.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

If you can sell it to someone as "vintage," it's vintage--doesn't matter how old it is. What's vintage or not is up to the buyer.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

I know for cars, to be considered an antique vehicle, it has to be 25 years or older. Probably a good rule of thumb for guitars for being vintage as well.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Vintage vs. Relics

Is it just me or has this whole "relic" and "new vintage" thing gotten completely out of hand? A buddy showed me a advert in one one of the buyers guides for Charvel (aka Fender) and they are pimping San Dimas relic reissues, you know the ones with the bullseye, made of 2 pc. alder, maple neck, standard 80's super-strat type shit. Well....these things start at ....now hold on....$10.000.00, and go up from there depending how "Vintage" a look you are going for. WTF? I may sound like a geezer but in my day, the way to make a guitar look Vintage was to play the damn thing every day. I do and my guitar looks 30 yrs. old because it is! I know in this day and age there is a requirement for instant gratification but come on. The sad truth is that people actually buy the stuff. No offence to anybody. I know that some of these thing are collectors items to a degree, but it seems everyone is getting in on this trend.It takes how much skill to roll a rough rock on the fininsh, and slide up and down the neck with dirty steel wool. I know I'm simlifying it and I'm sure there is some real technique involved. I'm just a little shocked.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Is it just me or has this whole "relic" and "new vintage" thing gotten completely out of hand? A buddy showed me a advert in one one of the buyers guides for Charvel (aka Fender) and they are pimping San Dimas relic reissues, you know the ones with the bullseye, made of 2 pc. alder, maple neck, standard 80's super-strat type shit. Well....these things start at ....now hold on....$10.000.00, and go up from there depending how "Vintage" a look you are going for. WTF? I may sound like a geezer but in my day, the way to make a guitar look Vintage was to play the damn thing every day. I do and my guitar looks 30 yrs. old because it is! I know in this day and age there is a requirement for instant gratification but come on. The sad truth is that people actually buy the stuff. No offence to anybody. I know that some of these thing are collectors items to a degree, but it seems everyone is getting in on this trend.It takes how much skill to roll a rough rock on the fininsh, and slide up and down the neck with dirty steel wool. I know I'm simlifying it and I'm sure there is some real technique involved. I'm just a little shocked.
    I agree ...
    I've never really understood the whole "relic" thing or why anyone would ever want a guitar that looked like a peice of shit.

I only asked the question because I have a couple guitars getting up there in age.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I agree ...
    I've never really understood the whole "relic" thing or why anyone would ever want a guitar that looked like a piece of shit.
    It's because people who spend this kind of dough on guitars (10k +) don't even really play in bands...

This way they can have a guitar that "looks" like it's been used on hundreds of gigs, when in actuality - it sits in the case most of the time and is rarely played.
    Last edited by EJC; 03.28.08 at 01:46 PM.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117