Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Possibly Eddies Best stripe job to date

The Paint job on this new custom EVH guitar is incredible. If it were mine, it would be hard to part with. Nice job Ed!

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I wish he actually still played them instead of auctioning them off.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is kickass!
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Time to put that paint job on one of my projects!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by solo-ed View Post
    I wish he actually still played them instead of auctioning them off.
    Why? They're peices of shit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    This from the guy making a poster of them!?!? Just yanking your chain Ron .....
    While I agree they are not in the same category as an EBMM etc. in terms of a quality instrument, I think they are great for what they are: an Ed Stage played momento for the die hard fan! I think they are a much greater fan value at $10 - 12K, than the Frankies are at $25K. At least Ed actually played these!
    Thats my humble opinion ............. I put my money where my mouth is, I bought one! (-:

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IslandBoy View Post
    This from the guy making a poster of them!?!? Just yanking your chain Ron .....
    While I agree they are not in the same category as an EBMM etc. in terms of a quality instrument, I think they are great for what they are: an Ed Stage played momento for the die hard fan! I think they are a much greater fan value at $10 - 12K, than the Frankies are at $25K. At least Ed actually played these!
    Thats my humble opinion ............. I put my money where my mouth is, I bought one! (-:
    I agree with ya bro. The guitar itself, the Art Series, are just crap IMO. But to own a guitar personally striped up and rocked by the man is definitly a very cool momento.

The value is what you make it. Id love to have one in my case in the livingroom. Its just somethin you cant replicate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

Ya know, I hear people say that alot, but what exactly makes the Art Series crap?

I understand the arguement that it may seem to some people to be a little expensive for what it is.

I understand the point that it my not have alot of features.

I can relate to the perspective that, when compared to the EBMM/EVH, that you may prefer the EVH.

I can even see that people wouldn't want one because they don't feel like they would want to play one in public because of the paintjob.

What I don't get is people saying that they are peices of crap. I've found the Art Series to be a great guitar. The neck shape is unlike the EBMM or Wolfgang, but it is a unique neck shape to that guitar, not the same as a Fender neck. The pickup in that guitar has a great tone, very classic VH, and different than the Wolf or EBMM tone. Really, the only complaint I have about the guitar is that the truss-rod adjustment is not easily accessible. Not a big deal, but just not as hassle-free as the Wolf or EBMM.

Obviously, I'm an owner, but I'm not the kind of guy that's going to try to convince everybody that what I own is the greatest guitar in the world. In fact, I'm quite willing to concede that this is not the greatest guitar out there. That's not my point. My point is that it is a well constructed guitar with unique features, top notch tone and playability. It is what it is, and it's not for everybody, but I can tell you that it's certianly not crap.
    Last edited by nobozos; 03.23.08 at 02:48 PM.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Ya know, I hear people say that alot, but what exactly makes the Art Series crap?

I understand the arguement that it may seem to some people to be a little expensive for what it is.

I understand the point that it my not have alot of features.

I can relate to the perspective that, when compared to the EBMM/EVH, that you may prefer the EVH.

I can even see that people wouldn't want one because they don't feel like they would want to play one in public because of the paintjob.

What I don't get is people saying that they are peices of crap. I've found the Art Series to be a great guitar. The neck shape is unlike the EBMM or Wolfgang, but it is a unique neck shape to that guitar, not the same as a Fender neck. The pickup in that guitar has a great tone, very classic VH, and different than the Wolf or EBMM tone. Really, the only complaint I have about the guitar is that the truss-rod adjustment is not easily accessible. Not a big deal, but just not as hassle-free as the Wolf or EBMM.

Obviously, I'm an owner, but I'm not the kind of guy that's going to try to convince everybody that what I own is the greatest guitar in the world. In fact, I'm quite willing to concede that this is not the greatest guitar out there. That's not my point. My point is that it is a well constructed guitar with unique features, top notch tone and playability. It is what it is, and it's not for everybody, but I can tell you that it's certianly not crap.
    I wouldn't necessarily call the Art Series guitars "crap", but I've had enough of these guitars sent to me for various repairs and setups to feel confident in saying that they are not all really consistant in quality and sound.

I wouldn't spend $2k on an Art Series guitar because ...
    1) If I want a striped guitar, I'll build one.
    2) I honestly don't believe the production Art Series models are really going to be all that "collectable" in the years to come, as some people may think.
    I just think the striped guitars are more of a "nolvety" thing.

Of course, I would LOVE to own one of those that Ed striped himself, played in concert, and signed. Those are WAY more appealing to me than the $25k "Frankenstien".
    Last edited by Dino5150; 03.23.08 at 03:04 PM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily call the Art Series guitars "crap", but I've had enough of these guitars sent to me for various repairs and setups to feel confident in saying that they are not all really consistant in quality and sound.

I wouldn't spend $2k on an Art Series guitar because ...
    1) If I want a striped guitar, I'll build one.
    2) I honestly don't believe the production Art Series models are really going to be all that "collectable" in the years to come, as some people may think.
    I just think the striped guitars are more of a "nolvety" thing.

Of course, I would LOVE to own one of those that Ed striped himself, played in concert, and signed. Those are WAY more appealing to me than the $25k "Frankenstien".
    All I can testify to is the one that I have, and the one that another guy I know has. I don't really consider having to set-up a guitar a quality problem, that's kind of just a fact of life. I had to set-up my Wolfies and EBMMs quite often to keep tolerances the same. Unfortunately, an unfinished neck requires much more attention and adjustments. I would be curious to know what kind of repairs were necessary on the ones you saw.

I can see your points, and understand your stance on the striped guitar being a novelty, but here's something to think about:

Forget about the stripes for just a minute. What makes it a signature guitar other than the paintjob? What makes it not just another strat? The first thing is the neck shape and that the neck is un-finished. It has the Humbucker mounted directly to the body. It has an EVH Humbucker not available in any other guitar. It has an original Floyd Rose with a D-Tuna, and Schaller tuners. This guitar was made in the Fender Custom Shop, so as a baseline, check out what other Fender Custom Shop guitars sell for. Let's take the Clapton Signature guitar for example. It also is an artist series guitar. It features a soft v shaped neck, a TBX tone control, and an active Mid-Boost. Other than that, it is pretty un-remarkable when compared to other Fender Strats, and it sells for about $2500. So, when you consider the guitar without the paintjob factored in, it's really on par with the other Custom Shop Fender stuff price-wise. Now, figure in the labor, time, and attention to detail required for the paintjob, and it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal.

You may be right about the collectablity of the Art Series. For me, I didn't get it as an investment, I got it to enjoy it. I think that in the long run, they will probably be worth a little more than what we paid for them. Honestly, 10 years ago did you think you would see a Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP sell for $1000, or a FT Wolf Standard sell for $1900?

BTW Dino, when is the Wolfgang due to arrive?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

i thought about bidding on the red white and black one from atlanta
    Last edited by fudd; 03.23.08 at 05:07 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I can testify to is the one that I have, and the one that another guy I know has. I don't really consider having to set-up a guitar a quality problem, that's kind of just a fact of life. I had to set-up my Wolfies and EBMMs quite often to keep tolerances the same. Unfortunately, an unfinished neck requires much more attention and adjustments. I would be curious to know what kind of repairs were necessary on the ones you saw.
    I agree .. setups are par for the course.
    I only mentioned setups to help explain the number of Art Series guitars that were sent to me. Not all were repairs ... two were sent to me to repair finish cracks on the headstock, and I've had a couple customers that just wanted different pickups. No big problems, but then again, there's really not much to these guitars.

I will say that the finish on them is outstanding, though the stripes on a few will vary and some aren't all that "accurate". Some guitars sounded fantastic, while others sounded like mud. And setups were just all over the place in consistancy.

btw ... one thing I found really interesting is the fact that Charvel/Fender uses 250k potentiometers with their Art Series pickups. The "rule of thumb" is 500k for a humbucker. I've heard of people using a 250k pot in an attempt to reduce some of the highs and to try to acheive a "warmer" sound, but like I said ... alot of the guitars I played all sounded different from one another. Again, no consistancy.

By no means am I ragging on the Art Series guitars.
    They're great for what they are, but I just feel that most of their sales are due to the graphics moreso than the guitar itself.
    Again, that's just my opinion.

I can see your points, and understand your stance on the striped guitar being a novelty, but here's something to think about:

Forget about the stripes for just a minute. What makes it a signature guitar other than the paintjob? What makes it not just another strat? The first thing is the neck shape and that the neck is un-finished. It has the Humbucker mounted directly to the body. It has an EVH Humbucker not available in any other guitar. It has an original Floyd Rose with a D-Tuna, and Schaller tuners. This guitar was made in the Fender Custom Shop, so as a baseline, check out what other Fender Custom Shop guitars sell for. Let's take the Clapton Signature guitar for example. It also is an artist series guitar. It features a soft v shaped neck, a TBX tone control, and an active Mid-Boost. Other than that, it is pretty un-remarkable when compared to other Fender Strats, and it sells for about $2500. So, when you consider the guitar without the paintjob factored in, it's really on par with the other Custom Shop Fender stuff price-wise. Now, figure in the labor, time, and attention to detail required for the paintjob, and it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal.
    I agree that any guitar produced from the "Custom Shop" is going to hold a higher price tag. And I do like the necks, though I would have liked them more had they used jumbo frets. Pickups, like I said, aren't very consistant from one guitar to the next, so if you got one that sounds good ... hang on to it!

I definately agree with you on just the time and labor it takes to create those graphics and those finishes. Despite some inaccuracies in some of the graphics, overall, I really do think they did an outstanding job.

You may be right about the collectablity of the Art Series. For me, I didn't get it as an investment, I got it to enjoy it. I think that in the long run, they will probably be worth a little more than what we paid for them. Honestly, 10 years ago did you think you would see a Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP sell for $1000, or a FT Wolf Standard sell for $1900?
    I hear ya! ...
    Back in the 80's, I bought one of the first Charvel striped guitars that were being produced .... I paid $600.

Of course, I was just a kid and $600 seemed like 6 million dollars ..
    But that $600 guitar today is worth several thousand.
    Unfortunately, I was forced to sell it many years ago.

But ya, I totally understand folks purchasing them for investment purposes.
    I just think there were too many manufactured and too many replicas out there already for them to really increase in value all that much.
    For you Art Series owners, I hope I'm wrong!

BTW Dino, when is the Wolfgang due to arrive?
    Thursday, the 27th.
    Thanks to you guys, I'm a little more optimistic there may actually be a guitar in the case.
    I still have my fingers crossed though.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 03.23.08 at 05:30 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    I just meant the one hum/ volume style guitar not particularly those.

Last Online

They're not very tonally versitile, that's for sure. I will say that when you roll the volume back to about 6, it cleans up really nice, or at least mine does.

It's a fan guitar for sure.

No worries Solo-ed, I don't get defensive about my gear. I just feel like it's important to put as much information about stuff on the boards as possible. When somebody says EVH Art Series and Piece of Shit, I think, "Hey, I've got one, and I think it's great." Dino's experiences with them are different, because he gets to see more of them than I do. Between Dino and I, I think we presented some good information for other people to look at if they were considering buying one. In my view, that's what the Guitar Room should be all about. If I was defensive about it, and started ragging on Dino, then the whole thread just turns into a name-calling contest, and that helps nobody.

To be honest, I really wasn't even going to buy the one I have now. I got a re-enlistment bonus, and was going to buy an EBMM/EVH from somebody in another part of the country. It just so happened that the one I have was hanging up in my local guitar dealer's shop since 2005. I never took it down to play it until I had the money to buy the EBMM/EVH. I went into the guitar shop and took it down and played it. The neck needed adjustment, so they set it up, and once I played it with a proper set-up, I just fell in love with it. I didn't buy it on the spot, I thought about it for a few days, but I decided to get it. I had owned 4 Axis's and 5 Wolfgangs, so I knew what they were all about. Honestly, I just loved the tone of it. Admittedly, I've always been more of a fan of CVH, so maybe it was just the convergence of the tone and the look that pushed it over the top for me.

Ultimately, I would love to own an original EBMM/EVH. That is the only guitar I would trade my Art Series for. The ideal thing would be for me to have an EBMM/EVH and a Wolfgang Stop-Tail in addition to my Art Series. That probably won't happen though, as my wife has made it a rule that I can only have one $2500 guitar at a time. ):

Anyway, long story short, I wouldn't have gotten it if I wasn't absolutely impressed with the playability and tone, and I've owned some great guitars.