Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default WooHoo! I'm A Marine Geology Major!

So it turns out that I'm good at Science and Geology, I've got an "A" average so far and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down. I look forward to each class and I'm going to talk to my professor after Spring Break about what I need to do next to pursue this as a major.

At my age I will be 50 by the time I get either my Masters or PhD and it looks like I will spend the last part of my life in an academic setting and probably teaching on the side. The best part is that where I live is the Marine Scientist's version of Disney World so I will get to stay around here which is great because who wants to go to Cabo or Hawaii....wait, never mind.

Last I went down to Garapada Beach with the class to check out Turbidite deposits and locate the two small faults and the large San Gergorio fault which comes ashore on this beach. We also measured the beach slope to the water-line to compare our numbers with the Fall class' numbers so that we can calculate how much sand has been moved off of the beach durring the Winter. Since this was my day off I got down there an hour and a half early and sat in the bed of my truck and counted migrating Gray Whales that passed by the beach. I counted 18 between 5:00pm and 6:00pm with 28 total whales cruising north.

It was a good day.

What? WTF is a Turbidite deposit?

A Turbidite deposit forms over millions of years under water on the Continental Rise. Mostly it's mudstone or sandstone when you see it on land.

Check this out, you can see the layers on this rock. The lighter bands are mudstone and they formed in layers over millions of years. The darker bands are what you'd call a "High Energy Turbidite Deposit", you can see the chunks of smaller rocks embedded in the mudstone. This indicates some serious weather and wave action because those rocks were deposited by flood waters. You can also see that it happened three times in a period of over 150 million years (or more). This rock represents a segement of the deep sea floor that was thrust upward due to Platechtonic activity as the Pacific Plate made contact with the western North American plate.

I know it's only interesting to other Geologist-types but it gets me outside.

Anyway, that's where I stand these days. My book will be finished by the Fall.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hee hee, turdbite.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    So it turns out that I'm good at Science and Geology, I've got an "A" average so far and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down. I look forward to each class and I'm going to talk to my professor after Spring Break about what I need to do next to pursue this as a major.

At my age I will be 50 by the time I get either my Masters or PhD and it looks like I will spend the last part of my life in an academic setting and probably teaching on the side. The best part is that where I live is the Marine Scientist's version of Disney World so I will get to stay around here which is great because who wants to go to Cabo or Hawaii....wait, never mind.

Last I went down to Garapada Beach with the class to check out Turbidite deposits and locate the two small faults and the large San Gergorio fault which comes ashore on this beach. We also measured the beach slope to the water-line to compare our numbers with the Fall class' numbers so that we can calculate how much sand has been moved off of the beach durring the Winter. Since this was my day off I got down there an hour and a half early and sat in the bed of my truck and counted migrating Gray Whales that passed by the beach. I counted 18 between 5:00pm and 6:00pm with 28 total whales cruising north.

It was a good day.

What? WTF is a Turbidite deposit?

A Turbidite deposit forms over millions of years under water on the Continental Rise. Mostly it's mudstone or sandstone when you see it on land.

Check this out, you can see the layers on this rock. The lighter bands are mudstone and they formed in layers over millions of years. The darker bands are what you'd call a "High Energy Turbidite Deposit", you can see the chunks of smaller rocks embedded in the mudstone. This indicates some serious weather and wave action because those rocks were deposited by flood waters. You can also see that it happened three times in a period of over 150 million years (or more). This rock represents a segement of the deep sea floor that was thrust upward due to Platechtonic activity as the Pacific Plate made contact with the western North American plate.

I know it's only interesting to other Geologist-types but it gets me outside.

Anyway, that's where I stand these days. My book will be finished by the Fall.
    Oh yeah?? Well, 1 time I made a sandcastle and put a shell on it, and the shell came from somewhere in the ocean.......and it had a "Deposit" on it of somekind................

I kid ya, AXE! That's great bro and mucho congrats on doing what you love!!! That is what life is about!

I've always enjoyed watching shows on either Discovery, or History about our planet. Some of the things they talk about I can follow......others I can't. But, the point is that it's all VERY cool to learn about. This 3rd rock from the sun has seen MANY....MANY changes.

HH<----Is a Volcano junkie----------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Gongrats dude. That's awsome.

Now will you explain to me why I found and still find sea shells up in the high country of New Mexico?
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post

Now will you explain to me why I found and still find sea shells up in the high country of New Mexico?

It used to be under water.

Don't read this.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations on your academic endeavors. I only like geology if it can be tied in with dinosaurs. Let's talk about fishies! Better yet, how about the largest living mammal, the Blue Whale.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    It used to be under water.
    Really? I coundn't figure that part out. I'm stupid.

Anyway Axx, I was looking for more of a scientific sort of answer. Historic kind of thing. I like this kind of shit. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post

From what I can tell, a small shallow sea covered most of southern and western New Mexico. As the Rockies rose up the sea poured out down the Rio Grande. The sea was present from the Paleozoic era until the the Cenozoic era.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Congrats Axx, I too was a Geology major. Up until I took my first calculus course. That decisive moment resulted in a quick switch to Journalism and it shaved a semester off the action plan too.

I dug the story aspect of geology and pondering about formations within the context of prehistoric time. Some pretty stony stuff, especially at ASU—everywhere you look you see rocks.

My brother gave me some sound advise about the payoff for taking calculus. If you're going to work that hard why not do it for a degree that offers good paying jobs; like building bridges or skyscrapers. Scratching an existence by grant writing isn't worth having to suffer through calculus.

He's a project manager with a high profile construction management company after getting his degree from the college of engineering at ASU. Both he and his wife are in that field. Maybe he's right but I'll never know having dropped the geology major for the Cronkite School.

Good luck with that Axx I'm sure you'll do fine.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That's excellent, Axx. Congratulations on pushing through school.

I went back for Political Science a few years ago, and I strongly suspect I'll go for either a law degree or master's degree at some point in the future.

What I loved about going back before was how much school reactivated parts of my brain I just hadn't been using much; I really subscribed to the idea that school helps improve your critical thinking--because it did.

It's never too late, and you're never too old! Cool!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to be a geolololologist.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Axx, I am truly happy for you finding something to do that you are interested in and love. It's not often that people are able to identify that "something" to begin with and even if they do, have the ability to go after it. Please keep us posted on how it's going. This little lesson was fun to read.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.16.08 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You and I are in a similar situation. At 42 y/o, I'm giving up pretty much everything to return to school full time and get a nursing degree. It's been a long time dream of mine.

It's never too late! Congrats Axxman and good luck!
    Victory Over Violence
    www.vov.com

Soka Gakkai Int'l USA
    http://www.sgi-usa.org/thesgiusa/

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Good going Ax.

EdumaKation keeps us young. Most people, after their first stint of learning get trained up in a career and from then on the learing curve drops right off. We accumulate experience as we go at a much lower rate.

There's something very exciting about the learning process and constant study really does keep the mind fresh. It is obvious from your post that this is something you are very enthusiastic about and in people our age, enthusiasm can be a rare and elusive quality, yet it is one of THE most inspiring and attractive qualities a person can posess.

I salute you Sir.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VEry cool Axx, geology is something I know very little about, but I love listing to people talk about it and we have tons of caves around Va to explore. That's always a great Saturday outing in the summer!
    Best wishes!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*