Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Guitar Ed uses?

  1. #1
    Little Dreamer likestorocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.02
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6
    Last Online

    03.04.09 @ 11:37 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Guitar Ed uses?

    Now take into consideration that I have not been to a show, ( I am currently stationed in Germany) But of all the photo's of Ed I have seen, he is not playing his Frankie or replica. Just wondering why I haven't seen it. Does anybody have any input here? or am I just Blind?

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.25.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Va Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,016
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    He's playing his Wolfgang prototypes. He'll pick up the Frankie replica for Jump, but truth be told, he prefers the wolfgangs to the frankies.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

  3. #3
    Eruption Onirb's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.16.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Oviedo,Fl
    Posts
    943
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Likes
    17
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    There is a topic in the guitar section but here are my notes for the 2/14 show.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/what-guitars-are-evh-using-on-this-tour-t42441.html"what guitars are EVH using on this tour?"

    This is what the his guitar tech said last night and what I saw. If I am off alittle bit this is all off the top of my head.

    He is using a cream colored Fender which is most likely the final model before production sometime this year. It has a little recess for the D-tuner so it is easier to use. He didn't say what type of pickups were on it. And it is all going to be made thru EVH's own company with the help of Fender. The top is maple with a basswood body. He has 2 off the same. His primary had a 2 written on the back in marker and the secondary had a 3 on it. He said he will use this one for about 20 songs a night. There are 8 prototypes right now. There is also the the new one that was seen in Ft Lauderdale show.


    The top is like that because it was sanded down to see if the tone was affected. Up close you can't see the "5150" or "shit" that was eched in the finish as well that can be seen in the picture.

    He had 2 ebay guitars. Also there is no more full size Frankenstrat. He stoped using it because his guitar of choice is the cream colored fender. He has 2 mini Frankies that is used for Little Guitars. One is a backup.

    He plays thru the 5150 III and goes into 1 dry and 2 wet channels. I forget how many backup amps he uses.


    If I get any flashbacks I will post more info.

  4. #4
    Little Dreamer likestorocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.02
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6
    Last Online

    03.04.09 @ 11:37 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    thanks.

  5. #5
    5150
    Join Date
    11.12.07
    Location
    nyc and ct
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

    01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onirb View Post
    There is a topic in the guitar section but here are my notes for the 2/14 show.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/what-guitars-are-evh-using-on-this-tour-t42441.html"what guitars are EVH using on this tour?"

    This is what the his guitar tech said last night and what I saw. If I am off alittle bit this is all off the top of my head.

    He is using a cream colored Fender which is most likely the final model before production sometime this year. It has a little recess for the D-tuner so it is easier to use. He didn't say what type of pickups were on it. And it is all going to be made thru EVH's own company with the help of Fender. The top is maple with a basswood body. He has 2 off the same. His primary had a 2 written on the back in marker and the secondary had a 3 on it. He said he will use this one for about 20 songs a night. There are 8 prototypes right now. There is also the the new one that was seen in Ft Lauderdale show.


    The top is like that because it was sanded down to see if the tone was affected. Up close you can't see the "5150" or "shit" that was eched in the finish as well that can be seen in the picture.

    He had 2 ebay guitars. Also there is no more full size Frankenstrat. He stoped using it because his guitar of choice is the cream colored fender. He has 2 mini Frankies that is used for Little Guitars. One is a backup.

    He plays thru the 5150 III and goes into 1 dry and 2 wet channels. I forget how many backup amps he uses.


    If I get any flashbacks I will post more info.
    good stuff
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

    www.myspace.com/patvh5150

    http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

  6. #6
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    06.21.04
    Posts
    106
    Last Online

    08.26.09 @ 04:51 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I'm pretty sure it's a Nimbus 2000!

  7. #7
    Little Dreamer Neaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.25.08
    Age
    31
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire. UK
    Posts
    27
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Jump
    Last Online

    02.11.13 @ 09:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    When I went he used mainly his Peavey Wolfgangs and then what looked like a couple of Charvelle's. He used the frankie for one song but i cant remember which song it was, it was that long ago since i went.

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing! ED-A-HOLIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,936
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

    The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

    12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Likes
    378
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neaty View Post
    When I went he used mainly his Peavey Wolfgangs and then what looked like a couple of Charvelle's. He used the frankie for one song but i cant remember which song it was, it was that long ago since i went.
    they are not Peaveys they are EVH Wolfgangs prototypes.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

    "Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

    WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

  9. #9
    5150 C Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.31.07
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    636
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Likes
    30
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    As long as we are on the topic, does anybody have any info on the Fender EVH Wolfgang's? When will production begin? Cost? I've heard rumors that they will be produced in China and still cost 2 grand. If so, it's a tough sell. For 2g's, I'd take a Les Paul Standard with neck/body binding made in Nashville all day long. The prototypes Eddie is playing made in China would have to be under $1000 to garner my interest.

  10. #10
    Little Dreamer Neaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.25.08
    Age
    31
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire. UK
    Posts
    27
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Jump
    Last Online

    02.11.13 @ 09:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    they are not Peaveys they are EVH Wolfgangs prototypes.
    ah ok, my mistake.
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y/Untitled.jpg

    Charlotte, NC 27th September 2007 5 Star VIP Package, Row 6. 3848 miles travelled.

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    All of these questions (and answers, when applicable) have been brought up in various threads over in the Guitar Room.

  12. #12
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.11.06
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    840
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    All of these questions (and answers, when applicable) have been brought up in various threads over in the Guitar Room.
    OK then, to get it back to the topic (tour related), I find it VERY strange and weird that Fender or EVH haven't ramped up their Wolfgang production plans to coincide with this tour. The perfect and obvious marketing would have to have been able to sell the Wolfies off the back of this tour. I expected this tour to be flogging, the frankie replicas, the 5150 III & the EVH wolfies.

    It will be a lot harder to market them AFTER this tour, particularly (as it appears possible) if the tour doesn't end in a blaze of glory.

    I may be a glass half empty kind of guy, I dont think it smells right. Perhaps there is a problem between EVH & Fender?

    Glenn

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    OK then, to get it back to the topic (tour related), I find it VERY strange and weird that Fender or EVH haven't ramped up their Wolfgang production plans to coincide with this tour. The perfect and obvious marketing would have to have been able to sell the Wolfies off the back of this tour. I expected this tour to be flogging, the frankie replicas, the 5150 III & the EVH wolfies.

    It will be a lot harder to market them AFTER this tour, particularly (as it appears possible) if the tour doesn't end in a blaze of glory.

    I may be a glass half empty kind of guy, I dont think it smells right. Perhaps there is a problem between EVH & Fender?

    Glenn
    Ed has a reputation for being a difficult guy to work with on the business side of things. Though few (if any) have gone on record saying so, general underground word is he'll hold up production for very minor details and insist on difficult things. This was the story with the 5150 III, and now it's the story with the new Wolfgang.

    EVH is an eccentric artist, but in his defense there are dozens of stories about how fine-tuned his ear actually is. The one that comes to mind now is one from Hartley Peavey. A couple of years into the production run of the 5150s, the changed the type of wood they were using for the bracings on the cabinets--and Ed noticed!

    We'll probably see the new Wolfgangs this year, maybe January NAMM at the latest. I seriously hope they aren't crazy-priced.

  14. #14
    5150 C Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.31.07
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    636
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Likes
    30
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    OK then, to get it back to the topic (tour related), I find it VERY strange and weird that Fender or EVH haven't ramped up their Wolfgang production plans to coincide with this tour. The perfect and obvious marketing would have to have been able to sell the Wolfies off the back of this tour. I expected this tour to be flogging, the frankie replicas, the 5150 III & the EVH wolfies.

    It will be a lot harder to market them AFTER this tour, particularly (as it appears possible) if the tour doesn't end in a blaze of glory.

    I may be a glass half empty kind of guy, I dont think it smells right. Perhaps there is a problem between EVH & Fender?

    Glenn
    Agreed. The first VH tour with DLR in over 20 years is quite a marketing opportunity wasted. People walk out ready to buy what Ed is playing and can't get it. By the time it hits stores, VH might be back on indefinite hiatus. Given that Fender has provided almost no details about pricing and availability, I also think there are problems between Ed and Fender. Fender seems to be following the VH marketing plan - provide only vague and ambiguous information in very small doses.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,030
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Likes
    4,476
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    Agreed. The first VH tour with DLR in over 20 years is quite a marketing opportunity wasted. People walk out ready to buy what Ed is playing and can't get it. By the time it hits stores, VH might be back on indefinite hiatus. Given that Fender has provided almost no details about pricing and availability, I also think there are problems between Ed and Fender. Fender seems to be following the VH marketing plan - provide only vague and ambiguous information in very small doses.
    And this surprises you? Welcome to VH land.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. REVIEW OF AMP / GUITAR IN 'GUITAR PLAYER'
    By cat man99 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.11.08, 03:51 PM
  2. Guitar Center - Jimmy Page Autographed Guitar Contest
    By The Rover in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11.26.07, 11:28 AM
  3. Guitar Contest to win FREE guitar
    By Rebel67 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10.27.07, 05:34 PM
  4. Guitar World Top 20 Guitar Solos- Videos
    By Wickett in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.23.07, 04:51 PM
  5. Guitar World vs Guitar One
    By No Bozo's in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.07.00, 12:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •