Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Ed uses?

Last Online

03.04.09 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guitar Ed uses?

Now take into consideration that I have not been to a show, ( I am currently stationed in Germany) But of all the photo's of Ed I have seen, he is not playing his Frankie or replica. Just wondering why I haven't seen it. Does anybody have any input here? or am I just Blind?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

He's playing his Wolfgang prototypes. He'll pick up the Frankie replica for Jump, but truth be told, he prefers the wolfgangs to the frankies.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

There is a topic in the guitar section but here are my notes for the 2/14 show.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/what-guitars-are-evh-using-on-this-tour-t42441.html"what guitars are EVH using on this tour?"

This is what the his guitar tech said last night and what I saw. If I am off alittle bit this is all off the top of my head.

He is using a cream colored Fender which is most likely the final model before production sometime this year. It has a little recess for the D-tuner so it is easier to use. He didn't say what type of pickups were on it. And it is all going to be made thru EVH's own company with the help of Fender. The top is maple with a basswood body. He has 2 off the same. His primary had a 2 written on the back in marker and the secondary had a 3 on it. He said he will use this one for about 20 songs a night. There are 8 prototypes right now. There is also the the new one that was seen in Ft Lauderdale show.

The top is like that because it was sanded down to see if the tone was affected. Up close you can't see the "5150" or "shit" that was eched in the finish as well that can be seen in the picture.

He had 2 ebay guitars. Also there is no more full size Frankenstrat. He stoped using it because his guitar of choice is the cream colored fender. He has 2 mini Frankies that is used for Little Guitars. One is a backup.

He plays thru the 5150 III and goes into 1 dry and 2 wet channels. I forget how many backup amps he uses.

If I get any flashbacks I will post more info.

Last Online

03.04.09 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks.

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onirb View Post
    There is a topic in the guitar section but here are my notes for the 2/14 show.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/what-guitars-are-evh-using-on-this-tour-t42441.html"what guitars are EVH using on this tour?"

This is what the his guitar tech said last night and what I saw. If I am off alittle bit this is all off the top of my head.

He is using a cream colored Fender which is most likely the final model before production sometime this year. It has a little recess for the D-tuner so it is easier to use. He didn't say what type of pickups were on it. And it is all going to be made thru EVH's own company with the help of Fender. The top is maple with a basswood body. He has 2 off the same. His primary had a 2 written on the back in marker and the secondary had a 3 on it. He said he will use this one for about 20 songs a night. There are 8 prototypes right now. There is also the the new one that was seen in Ft Lauderdale show.

The top is like that because it was sanded down to see if the tone was affected. Up close you can't see the "5150" or "shit" that was eched in the finish as well that can be seen in the picture.

He had 2 ebay guitars. Also there is no more full size Frankenstrat. He stoped using it because his guitar of choice is the cream colored fender. He has 2 mini Frankies that is used for Little Guitars. One is a backup.

He plays thru the 5150 III and goes into 1 dry and 2 wet channels. I forget how many backup amps he uses.

If I get any flashbacks I will post more info.
    good stuff
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.26.09 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's a Nimbus 2000!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/1984
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Jump
    Last Online

02.11.13 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I went he used mainly his Peavey Wolfgangs and then what looked like a couple of Charvelle's. He used the frankie for one song but i cant remember which song it was, it was that long ago since i went.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neaty View Post
    When I went he used mainly his Peavey Wolfgangs and then what looked like a couple of Charvelle's. He used the frankie for one song but i cant remember which song it was, it was that long ago since i went.
    they are not Peaveys they are EVH Wolfgangs prototypes.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

As long as we are on the topic, does anybody have any info on the Fender EVH Wolfgang's? When will production begin? Cost? I've heard rumors that they will be produced in China and still cost 2 grand. If so, it's a tough sell. For 2g's, I'd take a Les Paul Standard with neck/body binding made in Nashville all day long. The prototypes Eddie is playing made in China would have to be under $1000 to garner my interest.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/1984
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Jump
    Last Online

02.11.13 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    they are not Peaveys they are EVH Wolfgangs prototypes.
    ah ok, my mistake.
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y/Untitled.jpg

Charlotte, NC 27th September 2007 5 Star VIP Package, Row 6. 3848 miles travelled.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

All of these questions (and answers, when applicable) have been brought up in various threads over in the Guitar Room.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    All of these questions (and answers, when applicable) have been brought up in various threads over in the Guitar Room.
    OK then, to get it back to the topic (tour related), I find it VERY strange and weird that Fender or EVH haven't ramped up their Wolfgang production plans to coincide with this tour. The perfect and obvious marketing would have to have been able to sell the Wolfies off the back of this tour. I expected this tour to be flogging, the frankie replicas, the 5150 III & the EVH wolfies.

It will be a lot harder to market them AFTER this tour, particularly (as it appears possible) if the tour doesn't end in a blaze of glory.

I may be a glass half empty kind of guy, I dont think it smells right. Perhaps there is a problem between EVH & Fender?

Glenn

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    OK then, to get it back to the topic (tour related), I find it VERY strange and weird that Fender or EVH haven't ramped up their Wolfgang production plans to coincide with this tour. The perfect and obvious marketing would have to have been able to sell the Wolfies off the back of this tour. I expected this tour to be flogging, the frankie replicas, the 5150 III & the EVH wolfies.

It will be a lot harder to market them AFTER this tour, particularly (as it appears possible) if the tour doesn't end in a blaze of glory.

I may be a glass half empty kind of guy, I dont think it smells right. Perhaps there is a problem between EVH & Fender?

Glenn
    Ed has a reputation for being a difficult guy to work with on the business side of things. Though few (if any) have gone on record saying so, general underground word is he'll hold up production for very minor details and insist on difficult things. This was the story with the 5150 III, and now it's the story with the new Wolfgang.

EVH is an eccentric artist, but in his defense there are dozens of stories about how fine-tuned his ear actually is. The one that comes to mind now is one from Hartley Peavey. A couple of years into the production run of the 5150s, the changed the type of wood they were using for the bracings on the cabinets--and Ed noticed!

We'll probably see the new Wolfgangs this year, maybe January NAMM at the latest. I seriously hope they aren't crazy-priced.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post

Glenn
    Agreed. The first VH tour with DLR in over 20 years is quite a marketing opportunity wasted. People walk out ready to buy what Ed is playing and can't get it. By the time it hits stores, VH might be back on indefinite hiatus. Given that Fender has provided almost no details about pricing and availability, I also think there are problems between Ed and Fender. Fender seems to be following the VH marketing plan - provide only vague and ambiguous information in very small doses.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    Agreed. The first VH tour with DLR in over 20 years is quite a marketing opportunity wasted. People walk out ready to buy what Ed is playing and can't get it. By the time it hits stores, VH might be back on indefinite hiatus. Given that Fender has provided almost no details about pricing and availability, I also think there are problems between Ed and Fender. Fender seems to be following the VH marketing plan - provide only vague and ambiguous information in very small doses.
    And this surprises you? Welcome to VH land.