Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default eBay deal gone bad ... need suggestions

I won an auction for a Wolfgang guitar on eBay.
    I obtained the sellers address and spoke to him over the phone before sending him the money just so I feel a little more comfortable in the whole transaction.

He calls me today and leavse a message ...
    He tells me he dropped off the guitar at FedEx and was told they didn't have a box. WTF!?!?!?

I called him back and told him how fucking STUPID it was for him to ship a guitar without a box and asked him for the tracking number.

I went on the FedEx website, entered the tracking number and the shipping weight was 12.4lbs. ... That mother fucker shipped me an empty case!

I immediately called him back and told him what I saw.
    I told him he needs to get back to FedEx WITH A FUCKING BOX, make sure there's a guitar in that case, box it up and ship it properly.
    I told him if he didn't have a box, I would ship him a fucking box!

I then called FedEx myself and spoke with a "manager" who could tell me no more than what I was looking at on the website. He could not verify that there was a guitar in the case, nor could he tell me if the package was even insured! (I sent the seller additional money to insure it)

Bottom line is .... I'm screwed.
    I can't file a PayPal dispute because all the seller would have to do is respond with a tracking number and PayPal will close the dispute.
    If I do recieve an empty case, then I can't file a FedEx claim because, according to the "manager", that's the seller's responsibility.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do next, please let me know.
    I paid ALOT of money for this guitar and this whole transaction is just making me sick.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apologies if I am being either A)very stupid or B)have misunderstood your thread but 12.4lbs doesnt sound far off being a a Wolfgang case AND the guitar? The Wolf weighs 7lbs and the case is about 5-6lbs = approx 12-13lbs. Seems right to me.

I took my Wolfgang standard out of the case and felt the weight of the case - its very light. Approx 5 or 6 lbs I would say.

Again sorry if I have misunderstood. Hope it works out ok, been in your position with stuff on ebay, not nice.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YO!Edward View Post
    Apologies if I am being either A)very stupid or B)have misunderstood your thread but 12.4lbs doesnt sound far off being a a Wolfgang case AND the guitar? The Wolf weighs 7lbs and the case is about 5-6lbs = approx 12-13lbs. Seems right to me.

I took my Wolfgang standard out of the case and felt the weight of the case - its very light. Approx 5 or 6 lbs I would say.

Again sorry if I have misunderstood. Hope it works out ok, been in your position with stuff on ebay, not nice.
    Man, I hope you're right ...
    I just shipped a guitar (properly in a box) this past week and it weighed almost 25lbs.
    Of course, it was a Padauk guitar (heavy!) and a tweed Charvel case, but still ...
    When I saw "12.4 lbs." on the FedEx site, I weighed my EBMM case and it was just over 10.5 lbs.

My first thought was ... a Wolfgang doesn't weigh 2lbs.

I hope you're right bro ... I truly do.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 03.21.08 at 10:06 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

First of all, I'm sorry you have to deal with this, Dino. I've bought a lot of instruments off eBay and know what it's like to have a clueless seller do an amazingly poor job packing/shipping something very expensive.

I share a little optimism with the other post that suggests 12.4 pounds might be enough to count as the guitar and case. If it isn't boxed up, that's about right. The Wolfgang I just shipped away in a large guitar box with a lot of packing material still only came to about 18 pounds.

If that guitar is already on its way, then you can't do much more than hope for the best. The Axis I bought last summer was shipped by a moron who simply slapped a shipping label on the hard case. (I couldn't fuckin' believe it when the thing showed up like that!) It--thankfully--arrived with no issues (except me being quite pissed off, of course).

If something does go wrong you might have some course of action to take. You may be able to work a claim with PayPal that you get your money back if the guitar is shipped back to the seller and confirmed arrived by a tracking number. This is what they did for my fiancée on a bad purchase a few months back. I also had an issue with a seller a couple of months ago and was actually impressed with how well the PayPal dispute process worked for me. Important: Keep all records of your correspondence and shipping info from the seller. They could very well make the difference if you need to file a dispute.

I don't think you can do much until the guitar (and I am indeed hoping it is a guitar) arrives.

Good luck.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Sounds like you are getting the guitar in the case with a shipping label slapped on the case. The Wolfgang case is pretty durable, and the molded plastic case is relatively lite, so it sounds about right. Hope everything turns out okay.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do next, please let me know.
    I paid ALOT of money for this guitar and this whole transaction is just making me sick.

Get his contact info, find out where he lives and fly there and kick his ass.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Wolfgang cases are very light. I would assume the guitar is in there. Hopefully there is no damage to the guitar.
    \m/ VH \m/

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a guy ship me a guitar in the case with cardboard duct taped around it (not packed inside a box) with handle sticking out (I guess for the mailman to use...). The case may get dirty, etc., but I think the guitar will be ok. Depends on how much it's moving INSIDE the case. I've always asked shippers on ebay to put some bubble wrap inside the case against the guitar body and neck so it doesn't actually move inside the case. I think all will be well. Let us know. Chris

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Sounds like you are getting the guitar in the case with a shipping label slapped on the case. The Wolfgang case is pretty durable, and the molded plastic case is relatively lite, so it sounds about right. Hope everything turns out okay.
    Dino,

This sounds about right. I just weighed one of my wolfgangs in a case, and it was 12.7 pounds. I hope everything works out well for you on this!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the guitar was shipped case-only, no-box, that kinda sucks, but I think you may have been a bit harsh to the seller. If the guitar shows up in as-described condition, you may owe him a bit of an apology.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s6275 View Post
    If the guitar was shipped case-only, no-box, that kinda sucks, but I think you may have been a bit harsh to the seller. If the guitar shows up in as-described condition, you may owe him a bit of an apology.
    I don't think so. The case is of value the same as the guitar, and the case can become damaged in shipping very easily. At the very least it can be scratched and get dirty. It needs to be protected the same as the guitar.

Shipping the guitar case-only is an irresponsible thing to do and risks entirely too much.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:36 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

I think that's about right, Dino. My Wolfgang and case can't weight more than that. Long as there's no damage, you should be OK.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all SO MUCH for responding ...
    It's hard to believe the guitar AND case only weigh 14lbs., but I'm alot more optimistic after reading several of the posts here.

I really wasn't as hard on the seller as you guys think ...
    I never actually accused him of just shipping me the case.
    I did however make it clear that I felt shipping it without a box was a REALLY stupid thing to do, and that anyone could just open the case at any time during shipment, remove the guitar, and continue shipping the case by itself. It was a real bonehead move and extremely irresponsible IMO. If in fact there is a guitar in that case, I'm going to guess the seller probably didn't bother to detune it to relieve any tension off the neck either. If he didn't have enough common sense to ship it in a box, what would make me think he would even care?

Also take into account that my bid was for the case as well.
    I live on the east coast and the seller lives in California.
    I have to imagine by the time I recieve it, it won't be in quite the same condition.

I'm really sorry to take up so much space on the forum here with my gripes and complaints.
    I'm just a little freaked out by the whole situation.

Thanks so much for all of your responses.
    I'm much more optimistic now that there's at least the possibility that there may actually be a guitar in the case.

Thanks guys!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Like everyone else, I think there's a guitar in that case. Though I usually make sure the seller has good feedback (even though that can be manipulated). But you'd think since it is an expensive guitar, he'd pack it well. But I doubt the guy would be that big a douche to ship you an empty case.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Dude I shipped a Kramer guitar two weeks ago and WITH a box and everything it was 13.2 lbs. 12.4 is plenty, it should be in there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!