Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Thread

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Smoking Thread

I'm curious about how maybe some of you gave up smoking and what were the reasons.

Here's a little story - for pretty much all 22 years of my life I've been all but "no to cigarettes" and I had a zero gram of nicotine in my lungs. Mostly coz I'd been always thinking people smoke coz it's 'cool' and the idea seemed lame to me. Now, just before the Christmas I was hanging around my friends' flat on campus and my then soon-to-be friend rolled me a splif and I though, why the hell not (never smoked weed before then either). So you can imagine how it made me think I felt all empowered and happy with myself.

Later down the road, when I was short on hash and decided to roll an ordinary fag, I realized there was something in nicotine that works very well on it's own. And there's also a nature of my organism that apparently multiplies the effect (just like I get drunk almost instantly and it affects me times hundret more than anyone else I know).

Funny thing is, I'm not addicted - last month I had to go like 2 weeks without smoking without any demand for nicotine - but when I have money I just can't stop. I smoke literally 50-60 fags a day until I empty a tobacco pouch and get a new one the next day.

What I'm wondering is, how much it could accelerate the smoking-related health complications? Because if I get a lung cancer within 2 years I really couldn't give a shit. What I'm abit concerned about is, if I would randomly achieve something in my life, like get a family and kids and all that - and I would then have to deal with the concequences when I'm in the mid 30-ies.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I'm curious about how maybe some of you gave up smoking and what were the reasons.

Here's a little story - for pretty much all 22 years of my life I've been all but "no to cigarettes" and I had a zero gram of nicotine in my lungs. Mostly coz I'd been always thinking people smoke coz it's 'cool' and the idea seemed lame to me. Now, just before the Christmas I was hanging around my friends' flat on campus and my then soon-to-be friend rolled me a splif and I though, why the hell not (never smoked weed before then either). So you can imagine how it made me think I felt all empowered and happy with myself.

Later down the road, when I was short on hash and decided to roll an ordinary fag, I realized there was something in nicotine that works very well on it's own. And there's also a nature of my organism that apparently multiplies the effect (just like I get drunk almost instantly and it affects me times hundret more than anyone else I know).

Funny thing is, I'm not addicted - last month I had to go like 2 weeks without smoking without any demand for nicotine - but when I have money I just can't stop. I smoke literally 50-60 fags a day until I empty a tobacco pouch and get a new one the next day.

What I'm wondering is, how much it could accelerate the smoking-related health complications? Because if I get a lung cancer within 2 years I really couldn't give a shit. What I'm abit concerned about is, if I would randomly achieve something in my life, like get a family and kids and all that - and I would then have to deal with the concequences when I'm in the mid 30-ies.
    Huh??

What in the hell are you asking?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Huh??

What in the hell are you asking?
    Lmfao. I said it has a weird effect on me!

In a nutshell, if I keep smoking like a steam train now, but if I'll give up in say 5-7 years - would it still catch up with me later?

I know it varies from person to person, but generally.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Nobody here (or anywhere) can tell you whether or not it'll cause you problems. There are risks associated with it. A risk is just a probability.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd say yes, and stop smoking those damn "fags"!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I smoke literally 50-60 fags a day

Jesus, bro...come up for air once in a while.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

Jesus, bro...come up for air once in a while.
    lmao!!! I'm crying.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So let me get this straight. Now, after 22 years you're a stoner AND a smoker?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Lmfao. I said it has a weird effect on me!

In a nutshell, if I keep smoking like a steam train now, but if I'll give up in say 5-7 years - would it still catch up with me later?

I know it varies from person to person, but generally.
    I'd venture to say yes. The cardio pulmonary part at least. 5-7 years should be good enough fuck your lungs over pretty good. Another 5-7 years should do to clear out the shit in your lungs and grow some or all your cilia back and a portion of your alveoli that wasn't wiped out. The hardening of your arteries and veins down to your capillaries will have a potentially lasting affect on your blood pressure though, which could shorten your life significantly with the elevated risk of stroke and/or heart attack.

Smoking ages you. There is no reverse aging. While the lungs can recover maybe even mostly, there are absolutely lasting effects to smoking that I doubt you could reverse. Stop making worse by quitting, yes. But some things just don't really go away a hundred per. Our bodies remember.
    Last edited by seenbad; 03.20.08 at 06:22 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I say don't start.
    Respects.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy5150 View Post
    I say don't start.
    Too late. The dude's a fuckin' chimney. 50-60 fags a day. Not counting the hash he smokes as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I would say stop now while you can. If you smoke for 5-7 years it will be very very hard to stop.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Man I suppose i'm in such a position atm that I think there are thousands of years ahead of me an "we all die but it's nowhere soon". The thing is you can be perfectly healthy and be randonly hit by a lory truck. You never know if you'll even live up to the point you start regretting anything.

Well my family has no history of heart problems, and my grand-dad died at the age of 78, I think, smoking 2 packs a day, ghosting a bottle of vodka - and that's after he'd spent 13 years in the concentration camp. I might have inherited it all from him coz I've never even been sick in, hell, I don't even know how many years.

Well, as long as it's not this instant, I'll wait until I'm 30 to re-analyze this thing again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Once you become addicted its not as easy as re-analyzing it to stop. Ask those that have been trying to quit for years, its not easy.

I doubt you will take my advice but I will say it once again - Stop now while you can.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I would say stop now while you can. If you smoke for 5-7 years it will be very very hard to stop.
    Yeah, I recon. I'll see how I feel about it in couple of months, but at this point I don't even have coughing or anything. Plus being in a band all "smoke breaks" kinda add to the atmosphere!

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Once you become addicted its not as easy as re-analyzing it to stop. Ask those that have been trying to quit for years, its not easy.

I doubt you will take my advice but I will say it once again - Stop now while you can.
    I probably won't yet. But it's coz I'm a stupid arrogant 22-year old, not because you don't have a point, coz you do.
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 03.20.08 at 06:36 PM.