Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    01.23.07
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    168
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Help with an EVH Top ................

    I recently bought a Green EVH, and paid a pretty penny for it, due to the rarity of the color. It arrived in great shape as promised, however I did notice that the top was a bit "cloudy" , as opposed to the usual wet clean look. After putting it up in the light, it appears that someone may have polished it with something abrasive, so there are all these fine scratches / swirls that are causing the cloudy look.
    Can anyone recommend a solution, as I really cant live with it like this, given that I paid top dollar for it, and it is the gem in my collection? The seller offered to pay to have it buffed / polished out at the EBMM factory, however I just got a response from them that the current wheel they use would just tear up the material they used on these older tops.

    Any advice / suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !!

    (I just tried to add a pic, but could not.)

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBoy View Post
    I recently bought a Green EVH, and paid a pretty penny for it, due to the rarity of the color. It arrived in great shape as promised, however I did notice that the top was a bit "cloudy" , as opposed to the usual wet clean look. After putting it up in the light, it appears that someone may have polished it with something abrasive, so there are all these fine scratches / swirls that are causing the cloudy look.
    Can anyone recommend a solution, as I really cant live with it like this, given that I paid top dollar for it, and it is the gem in my collection? The seller offered to pay to have it buffed / polished out at the EBMM factory, however I just got a response from them that the current wheel they use would just tear up the material they used on these older tops.

    Any advice / suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !!

    (I just tried to add a pic, but could not.)
    Yeah ... I wouldn't use a wheel on it either.
    It's already been factory polished AND someone apparently tried to polish it themselves which wore even more of the clearcoat. Putting it to a wheel would burn right through whatever is left of the finish for sure.

    If the scratches are minimal, I'd try using 3M Perfect iT II polishing compound BY HAND.
    Then maybe finish it off with some MaGuiers X-Scratch swirl remover.

  3. #3
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBoy View Post
    (I just tried to add a pic, but could not.)

    If you want to email it to me, I'll post it for you.
    dgw@dinosguitarworks.com

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.04.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,058
    Last Online

    07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Yeah ... I wouldn't use a wheel on it either.
    It's already been factory polished AND someone apparently tried to polish it themselves which wore even more of the clearcoat. Putting it to a wheel would burn right through whatever is left of the finish for sure.

    If the scratches are minimal, I'd try using 3M Perfect iT II polishing compound BY HAND.
    Then maybe finish it off with some MaGuiers X-Scratch swirl remover.
    I agree with this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

    www.ronscustomguitars.com

  5. #5
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    01.23.07
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    168
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys! Dino, I have always admired the amazing finishes on your guitars! I will email you the pics shortly ........................

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Here ya go ...
    Nice guitar!

    Please be careful not to rub through the clearcoat though.
    It's kinda hard to tell just how bad (deep) those scratches are from the photo.




  7. #7
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.04.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,058
    Last Online

    07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I forgot to add,
    Get some baby flannel from Walmart. Shits like 3 bucks a yard. You can tell its baby flannel cause its got little ducks and clouds and shit all over it.
    The stuff is super soft and wont scratch.
    Man, that axe is sweet.
    I just loves me some quilt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

    www.ronscustomguitars.com

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    that guitar is beautiful and deserves to look its best.
    i was gonna suggest some kind of brass cleaner like "brasso"(i used to use it to remove scratches from mirrors) or a mild auto cutting paste but it seems the guys have you well covered and i'd go with their advice.

    tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  9. #9
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    03.06.08
    Posts
    11
    Last Online

    10.18.15 @ 04:54 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I don't think hand rubbing will get those scratches out, no matter what you use. I'd suggest paying a pro to color sand and compound it. A real pro won't burn through the clear coat, and besides, the EBMM clear coat is pretty thick.

    Brett

  10. #10
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.04.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,058
    Last Online

    07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett8388 View Post
    I don't think hand rubbing will get those scratches out, no matter what you use. I'd suggest paying a pro to color sand and compound it. A real pro won't burn through the clear coat, and besides, the EBMM clear coat is pretty thick.

    Brett
    What do you think Dino and I are?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

    www.ronscustomguitars.com

  11. #11
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,945
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Likes
    286
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    That is one gorgeous-ass guitar!!

    I'll take one in green, and one in blue, please!

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett8388 View Post
    I don't think hand rubbing will get those scratches out, no matter what you use.
    WoW Brett ... you must have some pretty good eyes to be able to tell how deep those scratches are just from the pics posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett8388 View Post
    A real pro won't burn through the clear coat, and besides, the EBMM clear coat is pretty thick.
    A "real pro" will know only by having the guitar in hand, whether or not it can be buffed out with a wheel or not.

    A "real pro" would also error to the side of caution and recommend a hand compound to someone with no prior finishing experience.
    You can always use a more abrasive compound or even micro mesh if you have to, but IMO, it's best to start with the least abrasive and work backwards.
    Especially if you have no prior experience.

    Oh .. and Ernie Ball uses no more clearcoat than any other manufacture.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •