Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 127
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas

    A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

    Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.

    Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.

    The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.

    "I don't want to pay more, I don't think anyone wants to," said Karen Deacon, a motorist.

    "I think that wouldn't make any sense," said Frankie Hoe, a motorist. "Ugh ... who's making the money from all this and where is that money going? Is it going to go green? I don't see any green things anywhere."

    The automobile is the nation's biggest polluter; Americans use more gas than the next 20 countries combined.

    Some environmentalists and economists say pain at the pump may be bad for Americans, but good medicine for a sick planet.

    But others say it wouldn't change much. Even if Americans abandoned their cars, global emissions would fall by less than one percent.

    "A tax on gas is a way to reduce dependence on import oil, reduce traffic congrestion and reduce carbon emissions," said Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute.

    The Earth Policy Institute proposes raising the gas tax 30 cents per gallon each year over a decade and offset with a reduction of income taxes, Brown said.

    David Ridenour, vice president of the National Center for Public Policy Research, said the proposal wouldn't help long term.

    "I think when you are talking about raising gas prices, there may be short-term reduction, put off vacations, but bottom line is over long term, that isn't going to have much of an effect," Ridenour said.

    While Dingell's idea will likely lie dormant until after the 2008 election, the idea of carbon taxes is not. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain all support some type of system that either directly or indirectly will raise prices to penalize polluters.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Eruption smme5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.12.02
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    761
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Fuck That! I could truly give a fuck about the green movement. It's so overblown anyway. Fifty cents more? I'm gonna have to start looking for a moped!

  3. #3
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Well you know, we should do whatever is reasonable to have the best enviornment we possibly can. So the American people will have to decide wheather this is reasonable.

    Another concern is if we do all these things, then great for us. But what about China, India, Russia, and various other Cental American countries. Are they really doing things that are good for the enviornment. We can start doing more things to improve the situation, but if everyone doesen't participate, then will we still be DOOMED? Will we have made any progress?

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.07.04
    Location
    Over Macho Grande
    Posts
    2,547
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Likes
    74
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

    Default

    "but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research."

    Wow, they had to take a poll to come up with that conclusion?

    He can take that plan and go take a long walk on a short pier.
    Dealing with it.

  5. #5
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    What? Are they fucking nuts? Man, with the way inflation is already I'll be eating bologna sandwiches 3 meals a day as it is.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing! twonabomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.15.01
    Location
    cleveland, oh
    Posts
    3,699
    Last Online

    12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Another concern is if we do all these things, then great for us. But what about China, India, Russia, and various other Cental American countries. Are they really doing things that are good for the enviornment. We can start doing more things to improve the situation, but if everyone doesen't participate, then will we still be DOOMED? Will we have made any progress?
    we know China isn't doing enough. they plan on closing factories around Beijing during the Olympics so the air appears clearer.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

    Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    11,536
    Last Online

    03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    Fifty cents more? I'm gonna have to start looking for a moped!
    And that's pretty much what he wants you to do.

    Stuff like this doesn't address the problem. It's a superficial suggestion intended to price people into choices they don't want to make. Maybe those unattractive choices are driving vehicles that don't meet their needs, moving to shorten a commute, or changing jobs to one closer to home.

    I don't know anybody that goes for Sunday drives. Scratch that, I know a guy who's a Honda nut and goes out with his "car club" buddies. But that's just not a common thing. I don't think most people drive any more than they have to, particularly not since gasoline prices started ballooning.

    Suggestions like this never look at the total economic impact, either. How does reducing someone's buying power help them to purchase a newer, more fuel-efficient vehicle? Sure, it gives them an incentive, but if a person could afford to make such changes they'd likely be doing it already. It's like spending billions on light rail to replace buses. What's it actually accomplish, besides making the people involved feel as though they've somehow made a difference?

    The real solutions are in finding ways to change the root causes of our problem. Suburban sprawl is one of them. Why not look at giving tax breaks to companies that mandate a certain number of their employees spending a percentage of their time working from home? Provide funds or tax advantages to redeveloping communities in ways that mix residential, commercial, and industrial zoning so that people have the choice of living where they like and finding employment close to home?

    If there really is a need to attempt to discourage driving, why not be a little more discriminating about who is targeted? Change freeways to toll roads during particular times of day. We've got carpool lanes here in MN that are supposed to be restricted to vehicles with 2 or more people in them during commuting hours. That makes up about 1/3 of our lanes. I don't know anyone who carpools, and you don't see a lot of carpoolers in those lanes. It makes for a lot of waste in terms of time spent waiting in traffic.

    Consumption shouldn't be addressed by trying to impose economic starvation on everyone. Target judiciously while at the same time creating economic benefits for "better" choices. It's possible to do this in a way that is largely positive for people.

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,383
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 07:34 AM
    Likes
    2,306
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    The rest of the tile should read:

    "He also does NOT want to be re-elected"
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,155
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:40 AM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

    Default

    this is one way to try to drive down the demand for oil. Not the way that I would propose but it's one method.

    I doubt that this will pass but get ready for alot of tax increases in the very near future. Your leaders have been buying drinks for everyone for decades and keep adding it to your tab. It's almost closing time and someone's gonna have to pay for it.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk ZeoBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    41
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,830
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Likes
    54
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    This dude can kiss my ass.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

    www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium loveevhsince79's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.22.04
    Location
    Cols, OH
    Posts
    5,420
    Last Online

    10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    And that's pretty much what he wants you to do.

    Stuff like this doesn't address the problem. It's a superficial suggestion intended to price people into choices they don't want to make. Maybe those unattractive choices are driving vehicles that don't meet their needs, moving to shorten a commute, or changing jobs to one closer to home.

    I don't know anybody that goes for Sunday drives. Scratch that, I know a guy who's a Honda nut and goes out with his "car club" buddies. But that's just not a common thing. I don't think most people drive any more than they have to, particularly not since gasoline prices started ballooning.

    Suggestions like this never look at the total economic impact, either. How does reducing someone's buying power help them to purchase a newer, more fuel-efficient vehicle? Sure, it gives them an incentive, but if a person could afford to make such changes they'd likely be doing it already. It's like spending billions on light rail to replace buses. What's it actually accomplish, besides making the people involved feel as though they've somehow made a difference?

    The real solutions are in finding ways to change the root causes of our problem. Suburban sprawl is one of them. Why not look at giving tax breaks to companies that mandate a certain number of their employees spending a percentage of their time working from home? Provide funds or tax advantages to redeveloping communities in ways that mix residential, commercial, and industrial zoning so that people have the choice of living where they like and finding employment close to home?

    If there really is a need to attempt to discourage driving, why not be a little more discriminating about who is targeted? Change freeways to toll roads during particular times of day. We've got carpool lanes here in MN that are supposed to be restricted to vehicles with 2 or more people in them during commuting hours. That makes up about 1/3 of our lanes. I don't know anyone who carpools, and you don't see a lot of carpoolers in those lanes. It makes for a lot of waste in terms of time spent waiting in traffic.

    Consumption shouldn't be addressed by trying to impose economic starvation on everyone. Target judiciously while at the same time creating economic benefits for "better" choices. It's possible to do this in a way that is largely positive for people.
    I do like some of these suggestions especially the part about working from home. With the technology we have, there are a tremendous amount of jobs which can be perform at home without the 10-30 mile drive into work from the suburbs. It would also be wise to increase the bus lines which already exist to make them more available to the suburbs as well.

    I still feel some of our greatest savings will be from better efficiency and alternate fuels. I do not feel that ethanol is the alternative answer though as it is only taking food out of the mouths of people and livestock. What you don't spend at the pump, you will pay for food.

    As for this Senators suggestion, it is the same thinking that got previous politicians in trouble. As TedVH said, he must not want to be reelected.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    11,536
    Last Online

    03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I still feel some of our greatest savings will be from better efficiency and alternate fuels. I do not feel that ethanol is the alternative answer though as it is only taking food out of the mouths of people and livestock. What you don't spend at the pump, you will pay for food.
    And water. Ethanol requires something like 4-5 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol. Our water tables are already low enough, with real shortages in large parts of the country. Ethanol as anything but a farm subsidy is a chimera.

  13. #13
    Hang 'Em High janthraxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.12.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    6,614
    Favorite VH Album

    CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

    11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    And water. Ethanol requires something like 4-5 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol. Our water tables are already low enough, with real shortages in large parts of the country. Ethanol as anything but a farm subsidy is a chimera.
    Wow, a whole 4-5 gallons? A single pound of beef takes several thousand gallons of water to produce.

    (ethanol sucks too)
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

    "You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

    -Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

    "You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

    -the late, great, Bill Hicks

  14. #14
    Hang 'Em High janthraxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.12.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    6,614
    Favorite VH Album

    CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

    11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    we know China isn't doing enough. they plan on closing factories around Beijing during the Olympics so the air appears clearer.
    And that's as much our fault as theirs. China produces so much of our shit.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

    "You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

    -Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

    "You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

    -the late, great, Bill Hicks

  15. #15
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    06.17.03
    Age
    30
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    6,980
    Favorite VH Album

    You name it
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Likes
    310
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

    Default

    And if human rights ever prevail in China then the North American costs of production will SKYROCKET. As for this tax on gas, we're all ready being destroyed here in Canada by it, even though we produce most of the fucking slop. If any of these fucking losers gave a shit about the consumer or the environment they'd be installing electric engines and ethanol engines retro-fitted to older vehicles to cut down on consumption. These assholes don't care about the environment, they care about money.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Beam Me Up..expelled congressman James TraficantJr has died
    By Daisy Hill in forum Political Underground
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09.28.14, 10:10 AM
  2. Cal. Congressman Tom Lantos Pisses Off Dutch
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10.31.07, 02:05 PM
  3. 50 Cent: I'll quit if outsold by West
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08.11.07, 02:21 PM
  4. Prediction of $3 gallon gas
    By rrussou812 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04.12.06, 10:13 AM
  5. MPG - Meows Per Gallon
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09.14.05, 01:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •