Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Today, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Today Honeybabysweetiedoll
    Last Online

08.01.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Do you find yourself defending the band?

I've been a Van Halen fan since I was 12 years old but really got into everything I could about the band around 1995. Since that time I have taken a lot of jabbing from my friends and co-workers and I find myself defending Van Halen. From "they are an O.K. band" to "Eddie isn't that great", it seems as though I have to sometimes educate them on their history.
    The latest has been the postponement of the tour, I work with a guy who told me last summer that they would never make it through the entire tour. And here we are waiting to see if the band will finish it out. He is one of those that thinks the band is just O.K. and prefers the Sammy era to Dave. He went with me to see them last month here in Des Moines and he said the concert was O.K. but I could tell if he hadn't gone it would not have bothered him. Now I understand he has his opinion, but do you sometimes get tired of people that bring up the topic of Van Halen only to bust your balls!
    Yesterday morning I was in a sales meeting and one of our new managers was talking about a sales trainer and his way of doing things. He then says "He acts like Eddie Van Halen and thinks he invented the way he plays guitar!" This manager doesn't know me and doesn't know that I am a fan but two of the people in the meeting look at me, start laughing and say "see, someone else thinks the same thing!" It was a very funny moment and I myself laughed but it was hard for me to bite my lip and not continue on with his comment.
    Have any of you put up with the same treatment or go out of your way to defend Van Halen?
    "It's my life, get off my ass, get outa my face!"

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 1,634 Times in 1,004 Posts

Donor

Nah, I join in the razzing. If anyone's deserved to comment on the roller coaster that is Van Halen, it's a diehard fan.

How much defense can there really be regarding the last twelve years anyway?

Ed's Future Ex-Wife
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.06.08 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh gosh, yes. I've been a fan since I was 12 (a quarter CENTURY here) and I'm sick of the latest rehab jokes and the "Are you still hanging on to that lifeless band?" comments. But I'm a proud VH fan, no matter what. I'll always defend their amazing contribution to the world of music. That's not simply my opinion- that's a fact, jack!!
    Last edited by VictoriaVH; 03.19.08 at 10:48 AM.
    Stay strong, Edward!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IMNSANE View Post
    I've been a Van Halen fan since I was 12 years old but really got into everything I could about the band around 1995. Since that time I have taken a lot of jabbing from my friends and co-workers and I find myself defending Van Halen. From "they are an O.K. band" to "Eddie isn't that great", it seems as though I have to sometimes educate them on their history.
    The latest has been the postponement of the tour, I work with a guy who told me last summer that they would never make it through the entire tour. And here we are waiting to see if the band will finish it out. He is one of those that thinks the band is just O.K. and prefers the Sammy era to Dave. He went with me to see them last month here in Des Moines and he said the concert was O.K. but I could tell if he hadn't gone it would not have bothered him. Now I understand he has his opinion, but do you sometimes get tired of people that bring up the topic of Van Halen only to bust your balls!
    Yesterday morning I was in a sales meeting and one of our new managers was talking about a sales trainer and his way of doing things. He then says "He acts like Eddie Van Halen and thinks he invented the way he plays guitar!" This manager doesn't know me and doesn't know that I am a fan but two of the people in the meeting look at me, start laughing and say "see, someone else thinks the same thing!" It was a very funny moment and I myself laughed but it was hard for me to bite my lip and not continue on with his comment.
    Have any of you put up with the same treatment or go out of your way to defend Van Halen?

Well in your situation...you're damn right I would stick up for VH because some people just act like idiots.

However...among fans....I am just as fed up with what Ed has done with this band as many others. And I feel like I have the right to vent the frustrations.

However if anybody on the outside makes any statements about Eddie or the band....I'm always there defending them...because the people making the comments really know nothing about the band.

I join in the "razzing" as Squal put it because most of it is justified. Ed ruined this band by treating some people like shit. Over the last 5 years of being a fan...I sense the anger of the die-hards who have sat around for 12 years listening to Ed and Al's bullshit that they have 10 albums worth of material....but they haven't done shit.

10 albums worth? I'm sorry but Ed and Al are lazy. They play music for THEMSELVES. Which is fine....they have always said they are musicians. But then don't expect everybody to be on board with you when you tour once in a blue fucking moon.

Nobody can defend that.
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.19.08 at 10:51 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Ed's Future Ex-Wife
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.06.08 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Well in your situation...you're damn right I would stick up for VH because some people just act like idiots.

However...among fans....I am just as fed up with what Ed has done with this band as many others. And I feel like I have the right to vent the frustrations.

However if anybody on the outside makes any statements about Eddie or the band....I'm always there defending them...because the people making the comments really know nothing about the band.

So true...
    Stay strong, Edward!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Why defend a band anyway? As you said, everyone has their own opinion as to what is good and not.

Regarding the tour being postponed.... well, your friend was right I guess. Most of us were pretty unsure how far things would go anyway.

When it comes to Eddie specifically I would have to agree with a lot of non-fans that, yes, Eddie is not the player he was but, for a few years in the late seventies and early eighties, he was one of the best rock guitarists on the planet and he was a great innovator.

How many guitarists can say that?

Would Hendrix have his reputation intact if he were still alive today? I don't know the answer to that question but my point is that Eddie and VH have had a very long (and successful) career. To be putting out music (maybe not new) after 30 odd years and still be relatively popular is testament to one thing. They have weathered changing fashions and trends (not to mention a few other hiccups) and are still going on tour.

And people are going to watch.

It's not a competition but not that many bands have had their longevity.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

double nut crunchy choc chip post....

uhhum. Sorry
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post

I join in the "razzing" as Squal put it because most of it is justified. Ed ruined this band by treating some people like shit. Over the last 5 years of being a fan...I sense the anger of the die-hards who have sat around for 12 years listening to Ed and Al's bullshit that they have 10 albums worth of material....but they haven't done shit.

10 albums worth? I'm sorry but Ed and Al are lazy. They play music for THEMSELVES. Which is fine....they have always said they are musicians. But then don't expect everybody to be on board with you when you tour once in a blue fucking moon.

Nobody can defend that.

Well said, and it save me a lot of typing!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stopped defending the band in 1996. I think addictions, cancer and overall insanity has destroyed my favorite band.

I enjoyed my show this past tour, but Van Halen is dead to me, I just stop in her on ocassion to see if the train has derailed again.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Good post. I think this will be a fun thread to read when I get home from work.

Myself? Nope.

Honestly, and unfortunately, the subject never comes up any more. There's nothing to defend. Nobody outside of this board cares enough about VH one way or the other to attack or defend the band.

When the tour was announced, it was:
    "Did you hear Van Halen is getting back together with David Lee Roth?"
    "Yeah, are you going to go?"
    "Probably not."
    "Me neither."

Then later, it was:
    "Did you hear Van Halen cancelled their tour?"
    "Yeah, Eddie's probably back in rehab."
    "Oh, well..."

I work with rock musicians every day and that's the level of interest around my part of the world. Maybe in other places it's different, but not here.
    My own theory is that VH just hasn't done enough in the last ten years to keep anybody's interest.
    My eyes were opened to the difference last summer when Rush came around. Those old guys crank out an album and a tour every two or three years. It's always guaranteed to be a good show and the new music is always good enough. Everybody I know went to that concert. I think the steadfastness has paid off for them.

Don't read this.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.08.08 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have always defended them until recently. They have become an embarassment the last couple of years. I'm really surprised all the fans haven't given up.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I've removed the sticker from my truck and will order some Wrecking Balm in the near future. Hope it works.

No, I don't defend them. This shit's embarrassing.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 1,886 Times in 1,103 Posts

stopped defending them to "outsiders" years ago, prior to 96 I'd go balls out defending them but now it's just not worth it...I just can't deal with all the drama, it's like watching one life to live or something at this point.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    I've removed the sticker from my truck and will order some Wrecking Balm in the near future. Hope it works.

No, I don't defend them. This shit's embarrassing.
    Me too. I took al the Van Halenizing off my red truck. Just to damn embarrassing. At least when you come here it's anonymous embarrassment.

I too would defend the flag of VH till I woke up one morning to the radio saying Sammy Hagar was fired today. Not because Van Hagar was my favorite, but because it was just more bullshit.

I swear when I saw Ed and Al in the infamous MTV interview,where they are both sittin there all smug with their sunglasses on and Ed drops the Cup quote about Dave. How pathetic was that. First you are a man, act like it and don't go for a guys balls, punch him in the face if you got to threaten someone. Secondly, it just proved that they were the problem all along. You could literally watch them squirm in the guilt.

Like Roger Clemens says " How can you defend a negative?" That sums this band up real well.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

04.30.13 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't need to.....the band defends itself quite nicely....<snicker> <snicker>