Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

Default Noel Monk dead?

In the Oklahoma story about Van Halen:

http://distinctlyoklahoma.com/index....d=43&Itemid=62

It mentions the "late" Noel Monk. Does anyone know if he passed away?
    Little Dreamer

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

I dont seem to ever remember reading about Noel Monks passing, but he must be gone, if they referred to him as the "Late" Noel Monk, and the writers are obviously big VH fans.

It was bloody sad though, when Ed Leffler died, cause on that very same day, VH died too........the safety net had gone.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What is the deal with Pete Angelus? Is he alive and what is he up to ?
    He was a DLR deciple.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Blood and Fire
    Last Online

08.19.12 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pete Angelus manages the Black Crowes. A gig he's had for quite a while.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Speaking of the Black Crowes, check out their new CD, it's pretty good...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

10.04.08 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    In the Oklahoma story about Van Halen:

http://distinctlyoklahoma.com/index....d=43&Itemid=62

It mentions the "late" Noel Monk. Does anyone know if he passed away?
    What a great article! I'd be sad to hear of Noel Monk's passing, though, if true. He would be pushing 70 by now, though, so it's possible. I talked to him a few times in the early 2000s, and he was living in Oregon with his family, getting up early to play the stock market. I want to say he was a sweet old guy, but he was definitely still pretty tough. I'd also hope that what remains of his substantial VH stash is protected.

Pete Angelus is definitely alive and well -- he makes a couple brief appearances in the otherwise worthless FuseTV special on the "Hot for Teacher" video that aired last fall. And he's been in the news lately, mocking a Maxim writer who panned the new Black Crowes after only hearing one song...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Christe View Post
    What a great article! I'd be sad to hear of Noel Monk's passing, though, if true. He would be pushing 70 by now, though, so it's possible. I talked to him a few times in the early 2000s, and he was living in Oregon with his family, getting up early to play the stock market. I want to say he was a sweet old guy, but he was definitely still pretty tough. I'd also hope that what remains of his substantial VH stash is protected.

Pete Angelus is definitely alive and well -- he makes a couple brief appearances in the otherwise worthless FuseTV special on the "Hot for Teacher" video that aired last fall. And he's been in the news lately, mocking a Maxim writer who panned the new Black Crowes after only hearing one song...
    But what we really wanna know is whose got the Oakland '81 tapes? The complete show? Break 'em loose!

Wasn't Noel Monks name on the credits at the end of those three videos?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    But what we really wanna know is whose got the Oakland '81 tapes? The complete show? Break 'em loose!

Wasn't Noel Monks name on the credits at the end of those three videos?
    Noel definitely has some coveted vintage VH films in his vault -- I don't know what he's holding, but my hunch is he's the answer to the Oakland mystery, and you can quote me on that.

As for why that footage has never been released? I'd like to think it's a simple oversight. If there's a legal tangle, we'll never see it. If all they need is a title and a paragraph for the back of the box, then there's still hope.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Christe View Post
    Noel definitely has some coveted vintage VH films in his vault -- I don't know what he's holding, but my hunch is he's the answer to the Oakland mystery, and you can quote me on that.

As for why that footage has never been released? I'd like to think it's a simple oversight. If there's a legal tangle, we'll never see it. If all they need is a title and a paragraph for the back of the box, then there's still hope.
    From what i have read; the original film of the Oakland '81 show in it's entirety is actually quite flawed and patchy at best. Apparently there are parts where the audio and video are not synchronized and a portion of the film is grainy at best. It was deemed to costly to remedy back in 1981 which is why it was never released.

Once Dave left the band in 1985; any possibility of Van Halen releasing material with an ex-lead singer became nil. Is the technology available today in 2008 to properly remedy the original films and improve their overall quality for release? I would say yes; but Van Halen does not exactly have a track record of releasing material that has been stored in the vaults.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roth & Roll View Post
    From what i have read; the original film of the Oakland '81 show in it's entirety is actually quite flawed and patchy at best. Apparently there are parts where the audio and video are not synchronized and a portion of the film is grainy at best. It was deemed to costly to remedy back in 1981 which is why it was never released.

Once Dave left the band in 1985; any possibility of Van Halen releasing material with an ex-lead singer became nil. Is the technology available today in 2008 to properly remedy the original films and improve their overall quality for release? I would say yes; but Van Halen does not exactly have a track record of releasing material that has been stored in the vaults.
    There is no "track" and there are no "records" would be more appropriate
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    There is no "track" and there are no "records" would be more appropriate
    There are plenty of studio bootlegs floating around on the internet that would prove otherwise; at least from 1977-1986.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't believe Ed's claims that he has his famous "10 albums worth of material" written and recorded; but I do believe that there is enough material left over from the recording sessions of all of their albums to fill up another two new releases.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roth & Roll View Post
    There are plenty of studio bootlegs floating around on the internet that would prove otherwise; at least from 1977-1986.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't believe Ed's claims that he has his famous "10 albums worth of material" written and recorded; but I do believe that there is enough material left over from the recording sessions of all of their albums to fill up another two new releases.
    One appendix in Everybody Wants Some is a wish list for some of these recordings. Heck, I'm adventurous, I'd listen to the full 45-minute version of Eddie plonking keyboards for what became the "1984" intro.

Someone on these boards said it'll eventually all come to Wolfgang needing to make money in 20 years' time. That's an incredibly sad prediction -- but something similar has proven true for the Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana archives, with vaults opening only posthumously thanks to the families, for reasons mostly bad. The Van Halens need someone they can trust to start to create a line of classic unreleased live and studio recordings. I think they have no idea how much they owe YouTube right now for exposing their power and magnificence to a younger generation.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it's been a huge debate as to whether or not the Oakland '81 film actually exists in it's entirety. Some people who were at the show insist they saw the entire show being filmed. Michael Anthony, on the other hand, said that only the three songs were filmed when he was asked about it at a convention. Supposedly, Noel Monk said that he has a complete copy of the show, but it'll never see the light of day.

Does anyone here know if he made that comment in print, or is that just a rumor? If the quote is in print, where?
    DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

There's a lot of unreleased stuff post 1984 since after that time they did everything at 5150 - coz they didn't have to pay. Of course it also means theere are less chances of it ever seeing the light of day, less possibilities of it leaking.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The following link displays a cabinet full of video that at one time was held by Pacific Title, an outfit that Noel Monk/VH had ties with. There is mention of the footage from the Oakland show, yet little true detail as to the contents.

The items listed only range from 1980-84, yet I'd simply love to know where even a third of this material is now, and as to why it has not shown up more sporadically in bootleg form.

(Click each image for closer inspection) Link:
    http://www.vhtrading.com/pactitles.php
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw