Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    1,841
    Favorite VH Album

    vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

    damn near all of them!
    Last Online

    04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default old van halen store

    anyone remember an old vh store circa '91? it had all kinds of boots for sale, audio and video. i bought a cassette copy of a raleigh show i attended. what happened to the store? did it turn into the current store? it was cool to have that around, i wish i had bought more from them before they disappeared. surely one of the guys here ran the place.
    anyone?

  2. #2
    Top Of The World FatStrat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.13.04
    Age
    32
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    197
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    1991?

    1991? What kind of store was this? The World Wide Web didn't even really exist yet, at least not publicly.

  3. #3
    Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    1,841
    Favorite VH Album

    vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

    damn near all of them!
    Last Online

    04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    1991? What kind of store was this? The World Wide Web didn't even really exist yet, at least not publicly.
    it was mail order only, way before web. dont remember how i found it but it had scores of audio boots and rare video boots. i can't even remember what it was called. i think it was in nebraska or close to it.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Yup. It was owned and operated by a guy that lived in a van, down by the river...

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Posts
    1,267
    Favorite VH Song

    Secrets
    Last Online

    11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Likes
    227
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    I do remember that, wasnt it called Eruption Video?
    I remember seeing an ad in a magazine for rare collectible records, etc.
    I always thought for some reason that the guys who ran it went on to become the Inside magazine cause it seemed to disappear around the same time the Inside appeared.

    anyway I haven't seen anything about it since early 90's.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

  6. #6
    Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    1,841
    Favorite VH Album

    vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

    damn near all of them!
    Last Online

    04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    I do remember that, wasnt it called Eruption Video?
    I remember seeing an ad in a magazine for rare collectible records, etc.
    I always thought for some reason that the guys who ran it went on to become the Inside magazine cause it seemed to disappear around the same time the Inside appeared.

    anyway I haven't seen anything about it since early 90's.
    yeah that sounds right.

    i thought so too, they did vanish about the same time.

  7. #7
    Romeo Delight Kramerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.14.08
    Age
    49
    Location
    NY with guitar in hand
    Posts
    42
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight/Fools/etc.etc.
    Last Online

    10.03.10 @ 12:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Yeah,Eruption video was the shit man.I got some stuff from them.The guy who ran it is definetly on here.I wont mention his name,I will leave that up to him.
    Are you ready to get down?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give you,the MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    5150
    Join Date
    11.12.07
    Location
    nyc and ct
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

    01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yup. It was owned and operated by a guy that lived in a van, down by the river...

    LOL YOU R GREAT CHEF
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

    www.myspace.com/patvh5150

    http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

  9. #9
    Sinner's Swing! Dutchie5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    2,914
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:12 PM
    Likes
    1,930
    Liked 1,605 Times in 742 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Eruption Video was great.

    I still have a few old catalogs here somewhere. This is from when I first started collecting bootlegs.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

    "People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

    "I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

    "For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

    "A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

    "I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

  10. #10
    Romeo Delight fletch5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.30.07
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    101
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I found them in the back of an issue of Rolling Stone. Bought a ton of stuff: The Dave era vids (dance, yrgm, 3 vids from oakland), the us festival, tour books. That place had everything!
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

    David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

    Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

  11. #11
    Unchained HailNgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.07.00
    Posts
    448
    Last Online

    05.01.12 @ 10:03 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Here in Chicago - well, actually the suburbs, Hillside I thiink (or Villa Park), anyway - every year they had a "record" convention..you pay $2 go get in and people had a flea/market type of things ...losts of old records for sale...this wasn the first time I found a VHS bootleg of the US concert...I was such and idiot, I didnt have money to buy and asked him to hold it for me, (not realizing he probalby had a dozen with him) and I ran home, got my money, and was so proud to be the "sole" owner of ths special tape...then the internet came along and i've been addicted ever since of downloading all the concerts I can find. I also remember I bought a casset of 1977 pasadena civic show - and the flip side had "bullet head" song on it...wierd.
    Its was fun to go to these shows - I dont think they do them anymore.
    Yes

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by HailNgirl View Post
    Here in Chicago - well, actually the suburbs, Hillside I thiink (or Villa Park), anyway - every year they had a "record" convention..you pay $2 go get in and people had a flea/market type of things ...losts of old records for sale...this wasn the first time I found a VHS bootleg of the US concert...I was such and idiot, I didnt have money to buy and asked him to hold it for me, (not realizing he probalby had a dozen with him) and I ran home, got my money, and was so proud to be the "sole" owner of ths special tape...then the internet came along and i've been addicted ever since of downloading all the concerts I can find. I also remember I bought a casset of 1977 pasadena civic show - and the flip side had "bullet head" song on it...wierd.
    Its was fun to go to these shows - I dont think they do them anymore.
    Those type of shows really died with the internet. I can remember driving to one outside Orlando (round trip: roughly 440 miles), mainly because it was advertised in Rolling Stone and promised to be big. They were usually held in convention centers over a three day weekend. At the time, these were the only places to get bootleg recordings and early, very primitively recorded video footage.

    Yet if you wanted unreleased or live Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Elton John...you name it, they were the only place to go. And think: it was mostly on vinyl!
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  13. #13
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Posts
    1,267
    Favorite VH Song

    Secrets
    Last Online

    11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Likes
    227
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Those type of shows really died with the internet. I can remember driving to one outside Orlando (round trip: roughly 440 miles), mainly because it was advertised in Rolling Stone and promised to be big. They were usually held in convention centers over a three day weekend. At the time, these were the only places to get bootleg recordings and early, very primitively recorded video footage.

    Yet if you wanted unreleased or live Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Elton John...you name it, they were the only place to go. And think: it was mostly on vinyl!
    I used to love going to those record conventions. it was fun. the biggest one i'd go to was the Kiss Convention in Secaucus, NJ. I hate kiss but the sellers there had all hard rock stuff, tons of Van Halen stuff. I'd come home with bags and bags of stuff. of course this was all pre-ebay....
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen Store New Merchandise Question
    By punk5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09.19.07, 04:30 PM
  2. Van Halen Store Question
    By Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.31.06, 01:25 PM
  3. Why is this for sale at the Van Halen Store?
    By Balanced Rock in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02.08.03, 02:20 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01.31.03, 08:18 AM
  5. The Van Halen Store should sell this
    By KenyonVincent in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02.02.01, 04:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •