5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default Finding a better payin job sucks

Ok so heres the deal...

Me and my fiance are getting married at the end of august. She works full time and the line of work that I am in, unfortuantley is based soley on demand. She works for Borders Books and makes 7.75 an hour. I work for a small, private sign production company making 7.50 an hour. She works 40+ hours a week. I barley work 30. Reason being...well 1, my boss is an asshole and keeps cutting my hours. 2, the sign industry is based on demand so if no one wants signs for a month, our business goes down. Thankfully weve been pretty busy all year BUT the guy above me gets to work 40+ hours and makes 10 somethin dollars an hour and half the time, the guy is stoned off of his ass and reeks of it too. Im barley doin part time and makin shit money and they are wondering why I am lookin for another job

Anyways, to the point of this thread... I have less than 6 months to get a better payin job (at least 12.00 an hour) with benefits and im scratchin the bottom of the barrel and im startin to worry that I wont be able to find one. But im more stressed at the possible reality of not getting a better job by the time me and her get married. With what me and her make right now, we would barely get by each month and that thought is scarin the hell outta me. Im excited as hell to get married but the thought of not being able to provide for me and her is makin me sick.

It also doesnt help that I havent gone to college so I dont have any kind of degree which is really startin to hurt me. I have people keep tellin me that I can go to college now but that just isnt going to happen. I dont have the money or the time for it. Even online classes. Once I get some money and be able to afford it, then yeah ill go to college but not right now.

Ive applied to at least 20 different places just in the past 2 nights and so far, I havent heard from any of them and its becoming even more frustrating by the minute. Ive called all of the sign companies in my area and all of them have said that they dont need another guy on their team or they just arent busy (mainly because, we are getting all the business). So other than robbing a bank or asking my boss for a raise (which wouldnt help at all), im getting closer to bein screwed. And it didnt help that he sent me home early today so thats a couple bucks off of my paycheck

So anyways, I just need some advice on what I should do so that me and liz can be financially secure and not have to worry about bein in poverty.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    It also doesnt help that I havent gone to college so I dont have any kind of degree which is really startin to hurt me. I have people keep tellin me that I can go to college now but that just isnt going to happen. I dont have the money or the time for it. Even online classes. Once I get some money and be able to afford it, then yeah ill go to college but not right now.
    It will never get easier to go back to school. Never. You get older and life brings more responsibility, which often corresponds with less opportunity.

There are two ways out of your predicament. Education or entrepreneurship. You either learn the skills that will make you attractive to employers or you find a way to employ yourself. School is by far the easier option for most people.

If you don't step in one of those two directions, where will you be in five years?

I'm hardly one to talk about how to chart an efficient course in life, but I've experienced and seen enough problems to see some pitfalls. You don't want to have money problems immediately in your marriage. Money problems lead to relationship problems. It happens.

If you want to go to school, you can make it happen. There are plenty of programs out there to help you make that possible. Is it expensive? You bet. Time consuming? Usually. Worthwhile? That depends on what you make of it. It will never get cheaper, you will never have less responsibility, and each year to put it off is another year of your life in which you do not benefit from it.

Maybe traditional college isn't for you. Ever thought about learning a trade? It's good money and steady work. Maybe a technical degree is more your style. Maybe a certification program. There are a ton of options out there, any one of which can make your life a bit easier if you work at it.

Going back to school when you're older isn't easy. I finished my bachelor's at 26, having spent four years in the Air Force. In some ways it wasn't easy to go from regimented routine to the unpredictability of school. I was just old enough not to fit in with most of my classmates. Now I'm 32, and will finish up my law degree in a couple of months. I have a friend who will finish his law degree at the same time, but he'll be turning 23 this summer. That guy is going to have nine years of legal experience under his belt when he is my age, compared to zero for me. That'll have a huge impact on his lifetime earning capacity compared to mine.

I've been really lucky in that I haven't had to balance relationships and family when returning to school. Those will be just one more set of responsibilities and demands that you'll have to face if you wait.

Don't focus on the short-term. Give yourself the gift of being prepared for the long-haul.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Man.. You can't get a student loan + grants in the US if you go to college? Everyone I go to uni with in here gets 10 grand per semester (roughly $10p/hour in 40h/week equivalent).

I don't think I could come up with a good advice, but I can speak from my experience. I've been living with a girl for a couple of months - and although we're not in a relationship at all, just best friends - we have all signs of a family going on anyway. You know - one joint budget, sharing utility bills, buying things for the flat, or rather trying to fill in the fridge at least once in a while. She only works part time and I'm about to quit my job so I've no idea what I'm gonna do in the next couple of weeks. Last night I had a massive panic attack and I am glad she was there coz I might have ended up doing worse things than shattering glass things and punching walls - but I don't know if I could afford to lose my control again. Coz when people barely get on the feelings you have for each other start to move further on the background.

As I said - I don't know mate. If you can't get a proper financial aid from college in case you apply, it might be down to your luck of winning a lottery. You need a good education to get a well-paid job.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Well unlike alot of kids your age T-boxer, it sounds like you have a pretty good plan for the future. IE: you are actually thinking ahead and not about which snack to eat after a joint or what playstation game to buy. And you seem to be thinking about your future wife as well. Good for you.

As far as getting a better paying job, move to Texas and work in the oil fields. Working on the floor or deck on a rig, will pay twice what you are making. And thats starting pay. And service techs can make anywhere from 38 to 55 thousand a year plus a company truck to drive. Hell get a CDL just run a transport for a min of 20-25 bucks an hour. I'd look into it and start applying, if you and your future bride would consider a move to Texas.

Anyway, good luck to you. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

For whatever it's worth, two plans (or more) is always a good idea.

The first is to take care of the short term, getting a stable, even if not huge income. Getting a job is about persistence, pushing yourself out there. Initially, you might not get what you want but an income is priority number one.

The second plan is longer term. Begin making plans now for what you want to be doing further down the road. That might mean starting some form of education in a year or two or starting to think about how you will be able to be self employed. Thinking ahead and actually organising your thoughts really gives you a sense of "meaning" in career terms. Remember that it is always possible to start small and part time in your own ventures and still keep your "bread and butter" income.

I started over in a new career at 33 and it was pretty tough but by doing the above I felt that I was making progress in my work. Just by following (and modifying) your game plan as you go it is surprising how quickly things can change.

Patience and persistence. I wish you all the best....
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

My recommendation would be similar to what others have suggested.

I have a good friends that was in similar situations when he was in his early 20's. Could not afford to go to school but needed something to offer the world. He became a apprentice electrician, he started out at $12 and hour and was learning while he was working. He did have to attend class occasionally but the classes were at night so he could work during the day.
    There are many types of electrical work you can do. He started out pulling wire in residential homes, now he runs a crew of guys installing motor control systems in a agricultural food packing plants. He makes $50G's or more a year, has a very nice company truck and 4 weeks of vacation a year.

Many trade programs offer similar programs like that one. A lot of the local unions offer these programs. Someone told me the plumbers union in Seattle starts first year guys at $17 an hour with benefits. That's a good deal for not knowing much of anything.

Earn while you learn.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've got a buddy who is an electrician. He makes damn good money. His work never follows him home. I'm envious of that.

Nobody will ever outsource a plumber.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I've got a buddy who is an electrician. He makes damn good money. His work never follows him home. I'm envious of that.

Hey, you are spot on there. In the UK people have been leaving banking and city investment jobs to become plumbers. Very good money and the stress level is a little lower too.

Just out of interest, what is the unemployment rate nationally in the US?

In the UK it is very, very low. Germany, where I am based most of the time now, is up at around 8-9%. Tough for most Germans to get a decent job at the moment.
    Last edited by graeme; 03.18.08 at 12:45 AM.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post
    ...Hell get a CDL just run a transport for a min of 20-25 bucks an hour. I'd look into it and start applying, if you and your future bride would consider a move to Texas.
    I hate to be the party pooper track 5, but at 20, the likelyhood of him getting a Class A CDL job is nill. After looking over the rules at the FMCSA (FedDOT), it looks like 21 is the minimum. I had to double check because when I went for my CDL, you could get a Class B at 19, not anymore.

Ever since 9/11 most, if not all, tanker company's require you to be 25 and have at least 2 years experience. On top of that, it costs A LOT of money to get a CDL with a HazMat endorsement these days, nearly $200, do to all the background checks. And most trucking company's that train won't touch you until you're 21.

There are straight truck jobs that don't require a CDL. They pay relatively well. It's also a good feeler to see if you want to continue doing that job when you qualify for a CDL.
    Last edited by RRMB; 03.18.08 at 01:08 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

20 is too young to get married.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

Ah, come on, that depends on the people, not the age. My parents did it, 40 years later, they're doing just fine, and they absolutely struggled early on.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    +1
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Make an appointment with a financial planner. It doesn't cost a lot, maybe $50.
    When my wife and I did it, my life savings was literally the cash I had in my pocket. That was a little embarrassing, but screw it.
    Sitting down with a professional and working out a budget and a savings plan really helps you feel empowered. It's well worth the money.

Don't read this.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Ah, come on, that depends on the people, not the age. My parents did it, 40 years later, they're doing just fine, and they absolutely struggled early on.
    To be fair, so did mine. But that was a completely different time, the economy has only become harsher since the late seventies/early eighties. They would be the first ones to say what they did is all but impossible in the present.

Even if I wasn't in university, I'd be okay staying where I work because I worked my ass off to get noticed, but more importantly the company never put a roof on what I could do. However, obviously your job is dead end. As far as the applying process goes, you can't expect to hear back right away, that rarely occurs, and a more realistic bet is anywhere between 2 or 3 weeks.
    If it were me, and to each their own, I would put off the marriage until I was financially secure, and she would have to be as well. At this rate, you could very easily be buried in debt within a couple of years.
    First thing you really need, somewhat irregardless of wage, is a job that does not vary. Standard 40 hours every week, with the possibility of overtime if you need some extra cash.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post

Working at the hardware store I know all kinds of young guys who are raking in the cash in those kinds of fields. Two of my buddies are are close to being fully licensed electricians, two guys I know have their own home renovation companies, one guy I know makes a great living as a painter, and another guy who is doing well as a welder. Can't beat trades, and they don't take very long to get. Plumbing is a goldmine as well. Like you said, the work is always there.