Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Worst venue you have ever seen a concert at?

There can be plenty of reasons ;crappy acoustics, nonexistant ventilation, location, etc.

Mine would have to be the one in my sig, the Hollywood (FL) Sportatorium, aka The Sweatatorium, The Snore-atorium or "The Barn." It had what may well be the worst venue that has ever existed. Horrible acoustics, no a/c (you would sweat there in 55 degree weather) and it was, at the time, in no man's land of Broward County. I will give an honorable mention to the Palm Beach Auditorium, aka The Leaky TeePee.

A brief wikipedia description of the Sportatorium can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Sportatorium

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

1. Wings Stadium - Kalamazoo, MI (Motley Crue, February 25, 2006)

Wings Stadium is a 5,113-seat multi-purpose arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The arena opened in 1974, is home to the Kalamazoo Wings, an ice hockey team in the IHL, and in 2007 will be home to the Kalamazoo Xplosion of the Continental Indoor Football League.

The main arena is a part of a sports and convention complex serving southwest Michigan. As a concert venue Wings Stadium can seat up to 8,023.

My dad and I snuck down to the 5/6th row on the side. My GOD my hearing has never been the same in my right ear.

2. Royal Oak Music Theater - Royal Oak, MI (Velvet Revolver, May 12, 2007)

Seats 1,700
    The long list of eclectic and unforgettable performances at the Royal Oak Music Theatre has included The White Stripes, *NSYNC, Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Duran Duran, George Clinton & The Parliament Funkadelic, Hank Williams Jr., Iggy Pop, Run D.M.C., Violent Femmes, Bauhaus, Donovan, Mike Epps, John Heffron, Charlie Murphy, Donnell Rawlings & Bill Burr, Was (not Was), Ben Folds, the Romantics, Will Downing, John Legend, Modest Mouse, Violent Femmes, Our Lady Peace, Cake, The Ten Tenors, “Tap Dogs Rebooted,” “Bellydance Superstars,” and “Forever Tango.”

I was about 15 feet from the stage on Slash's side, right up against the stack, but you'd never know it from my recording. The acoustics in the venue are so "tinny" sounding. It was an incredible show but the acoustics in there are NOT good.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    ...Mine would have to be the one in my sig, the Hollywood (FL) Sportatorium, aka The Sweatatorium, The Snore-atorium or "The Barn." It had what may well be the worst venue that has ever existed. Horrible acoustics, no a/c (you would sweat there in 55 degree weather) and it was, at the time, in no man's land of Broward County...

Sweet Tap-Dancing Jesus, there goes my evening. The nightmares that place brings back.

Of course, there were good times as well. I can think of two.

Thanks for the photo, by the way. It's remarkable how densely populated that area is now (all the way up to Highway 27 ) compared to the "no-man's land" it was in the seventies, even into the eighties.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03.17.08 at 05:28 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I've seen good shows and bad shows just about everyplace I've been - Stones sounded good at RFK in DC, U2 and the Eagles not so much; A-smith sounded ok at the Worcester Centrum in '84, but shitty at the same place in '85. However, I did see Jimmy Buffett at the (Your Corporate Name) Arena in Ft. Lauderdale (Sunrise) a few years ago and it sounded like shit - which I would not expect from Buffett. But again, it could just be location, location, location - I imagine doing sound for one of these gigs and making everyone in attendance happy has got to be a tough deal. For people in the high-dollar seats it probably sounded like heaven, for those of us upstairs, we got leftovers.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Sweet Tap-Dancing Jesus, there goes my evening. The nightmares that place brings back.

Of course, there were good times as well. I can think of two.

Thanks for the photo, by the way. It's remarkable how densely populated that area is now (all the way up to Highway 27 ) compared to the "no-man's land" it was in the seventies, even into the eighties.

I figured this one would bring you out of the woodwork chef! Between dozens of concerts out there and a few trips to the dragway, I generally had a good time there. Good thing no one seemed to know that going West to go East got you home faster. I looked at the area on Google the other day and could not believe my eyes!

Oh, and have at the pic. It was the only one I could find anywhere online, and it took me hours to find that one!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I'd have to go with the 80,000+ seat Pontiac Silverdome. It's just too damn big to get any good sound out of the place. Acoustics-wise, it sounds like you have an AM radio cranked to 10 inside of a Tin shed. Oh yeah, No AC either.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I can't imagine Ford Field is too good either. I watched some audience shot Stones footage from the Super Bowl and the sound was awful.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

...Oh, and have at the pic. It was the only one I could find anywhere online, and it took me hours to find that one!
    I remember several funny cars (such as "The Blue Max), "Hemi Under Glass", the "Lil' Red Wagon" wheel-stander) were displayed at the Lauderhill Mall before racing on the weekend at the track.

Here is a link to a recent aerial view of the territory (more than likely the same one you looked at the other day), so you can have it in your archives.
    http://wikimapia.org/637111/
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03.17.08 at 05:47 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Hollywood Sportatorium LOL!!! Too funny! I saw Llynard Skynard there whilst visiting my friend back in 197 something - well it was the original Skynard. Remember being high as hell, sweating our asses off, it was Florida, after all! Had a blast, thanks for posting that pic of it - nice memory! Don't remember anything about the sound, though.

Was at Mohegan Sun this past fall, the sound wasn't really the best there - could have been my seats, though.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goldustgrl View Post
    Was at Mohegan Sun this past fall, the sound wasn't really the best there - could have been my seats, though.
    A lot of places are like that. Closer to the soundboard, the better, afterall that's where the mixdown is occuring. But, at the Sportatorium, I have literally had seats in nearly every location in the place and never got a really good concert. Overall, the 78 VH/Sabbath show, Boston Third Stage and the Def Leppard Pyromania show were the best I saw there, and I would only give those about a 6 or 7 out of 10

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

VH, Greensboro Coliseum, '04. Some of you folks know exactly what I'm talking about. If I didn't know the material, there were times during that show when I would have been absolutely clueless as to what was being played.

I could blame it on the band, but I'd rather blame it on Guilford County, NC in general, on principal.

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ehh,the United Center in Chicago in '04 was my first time there.....sucked sound wise ......could've just been this particular concert,so I can't say it's just the place.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Candlestick Park - SF: This place is renowned as being a shit hole for baseball and football but concerts are pretty brutal there as well. Sound wise was probably no better/worse than most open stadiums but its the other aspects that make this place suck. I saw VH's Monsters of Rock their and got a 1st hand taste on why baseball players hated playing their (crazy winds at field level). Parking is absolutely brutal. It took me 2 hours to get out of the parking lot.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lot of places are like that. Closer to the soundboard, the better, afterall that's where the mixdown is occuring.
    Yeah alot of these sound companies see it as just a job and not a challenge so they don't walk around the place to see how it sounds in different areas of the venue. Worse venue I think is the Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie but Dallas has only a few bad venues.
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I saw the Foo Fighters play at a Best Buy once (no joke)

But if any one remembers the old Compton Terrace on the outskirts of Phoenix...

It's as if the devil himself built a stage in the middle of Hell's dust bowl.

Sound was decent, but my god what shitty place to see an outdoor show.

You would have black lung for 3 days after standing in the dirt for 4 hours in 120 degree heat.

thank god we have some real venues here now.