Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default God Bless America...(non political)

I Have a friend who recently was bitching about his life. This sucks, that sucks, every damn thing sucks.

I went out of my way to remind him how lucky we all have it here in this country.

When was the last time you were truly thirsty?

When was the last time you were truly hungry?

When was the last time you went without shelter from the elements?

When was the last time you weren't free to do what you wished?

When was the last time you didn't have indoor plumbing?

When was the last time you couldn't have a hot shower?

We all walk into grocery markets every day and they are filled with every type of food you could desire. Right at out fingertips. We are so truly blessed to be in this country.

We live like Kings and Queens here people. Thank God for it.

God Bless The USA!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Very true.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I don't own a Ferrari or Dodge Viper yet so life still sucks...

Just kidding...

True indeed...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't get too vocal about my thoughts on our government. I can certainly list what I feel as shortcomings, flaws, etc.. However, I've been to several countries in recent years with more trips in my future and, while I've enjoyed every place I've been to and seen many of the attributes, I've also gained a greater appreciation for the standard of living and geographic diversity we have in the U.S. and this isn't just an American bias. The level of poverity I've seen in Central and South America is something we American's, thankfully, could never comprehend.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I get around in shoes made by poor Chinese children, it doesn't make me feel very good. And when I hear about people talk about their country's sacrifices and give a cold shoulder to people who live very shitty lives for our well-being, it frightens me. Either I could follow the lead and live comfortably or go barefoot and be criticized as a hobo or a hater of freedom. I quit taking sides long ago.

I appreciate the historical sacrifices for freedom, but the ignorance that has been programmed to our generation also frightens me, because I've seen it in people 30-40 years older than I am. We have a very limited freedom of thought and I don't appreciate that.
    Respects.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I disagree.

No, I don't live in the world's best country. But I live in the second close. And while in the last two years I've been thru everything in your list - real starvation, up to 2-3 days of no food at all, no electricity and no hot water coz my utility companies would disconnect me for not paying the bills - these were really the least of my problems. How primitive do you think we are. How many people off themselves because of physical pain rather than emotional. How many times have you felt that your gf/wife dumping you is the end of the world.

It's about as accurate as saying "oh well you don't have a roof to sleep under, but at least you've got 2 arms 2 legs and don't have HIV like people in Africa, so stop whining you selfish twat".

I don't know your friend, Southpaw, but that's just too broad.

Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't mean to offend anyone with this, and it sounds like I might have. If that's the case, I'm sorry. Maybe we should just close this up?

Sorry.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I didn't mean to offend anyone with this, and it sounds like I might have. If that's the case, I'm sorry. Maybe we should just close this up?

Sorry.
    Don't be sorry Southpaw, I think we all need to realize that this world, no matter where we are is not perfect, never will be. I have some religious beliefs that I will not get into, but there will be perfection for me I believe at some point.

We've traveled as a family often, and I am always ready to come back to the states when we are done. Maybe it is a "comfort zone" thing with me. I don't enjoy political debates as I think there is no good answer to those problems either.... the arguments just go round and round. Does something need to be done, oh yes!

I have spoken to people that are living in true poverty in other countries and they are "happy" they enjoy life with very, very little. Their life is far from perfect - not enough food, clean water, shelter, medical care.

It made me realize that I am living very well here in the USA from a "goods" standpoint. Actually, it's excessive. BUT it is how Americans are living, although with our economy quickly going down the proverbial toilet, we may not be for long. Even so, most of us will have more than 90% of the world does right right.

Are we happier with all we have, not so much. Should we be, absolutely!

If you can choose to be miserable, wanting, betrayed ect.... or happy. What would you pick? I'd pick happy.

We had a speaker in church a few years back and I've never forgotten him. He reminded me of Chris Rock without the swearing Here he is in a church full of white people, and he talks about how poor he was growing up, single mother, worked 3 jobs, 7 kids.... his mother woke him up every morning and said at the top of her lungs "It's gonna be a great day!" And he said you know what? If I chose for it to be great it always was somehow, it's a choice.

We as people make choices everyday that lead to the next step in life. You make a bad choice you have to get through it... move on try and make the next choice a good one. It comes from taking responsibility for your actions,. I tell my kids this everyday... you are responsible for YOU, always! If you have a choice and it seems to make you pause or makes your tummy hurt, probably the wrong choice. That's over simplifying things but it works for adults as well.

Again this is how I choose to live, just my opinion on how I see the world...which is not perfect, but I can deal with it and try and make my day happy as well as the people I encounter. Think if everyone did that? There's something to "Just be nice"

this is why I am a fledgling writer...I LOVE to write, although I know many of you go, "Oh great, here she goes again..." thanks for putting up with me
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sorry.
    Man.. I hope it wasn't my post because I'm sure you had best intentions when starting this thread. What I was saying is just that not everything is down to the needs of survival.

Then again I'm probably wrong anyway.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.01.09 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I disagree.

No, I don't live in the world's best country. But I live in the second close. And while in the last two years I've been thru everything in your list - real starvation, up to 2-3 days of no food at all, no electricity and no hot water coz my utility companies would disconnect me for not paying the bills - these were really the least of my problems. How primitive do you think we are. How many people off themselves because of physical pain rather than emotional. How many times have you felt that your gf/wife dumping you is the end of the world.

It's about as accurate as saying "oh well you don't have a roof to sleep under, but at least you've got 2 arms 2 legs and don't have HIV like people in Africa, so stop whining you selfish twat".

I don't know your friend, Southpaw, but that's just too broad.
    Goodness, chill. I believe he was talking about the USA, not the UK. And he's very right. I have an acquaintance like that and it's mostly his fault. So I agree with Southpaw.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Anyone of us living in a "first world" country got lucky, by geography. True poverty is not the norm for most of us. Shit, we have computers to log in here.

There is so much I hate about the first world but most of it has to do with waste.

But, I would rather live in a wasteful country, as morally bad as that is, than live hand to mouth in a crime and disease ridden favella.

I am selfish. I was born into that tradition and I hope I can resolve that within myself at some point. Even better if I can find a way to give something back to those less fortunate.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by whatthehell? View Post
    Goodness, chill. I believe he was talking about the USA, not the UK. And he's very right. I have an acquaintance like that and it's mostly his fault. So I agree with Southpaw.
    I have acquaintances like that in 3rd world countries. For crying out loud I was used to living all 3 months of summer in a village with a well outside the house, obviously no hot water, no TV and living off shrooms, vegs and berries we'd go harvesting every day. And I can assure you these were the best summers of my life.

When you live primitive like that all you care about is how to fill your stomach and how long you can sleep. You don't have to worry about your asshole supervisor at work, paying off credit cards, sending your kids to proper college, whether the new president would be a bigger tool than the one before him, people jerking off at you in your sleep on a plane, kids shooting kids at schools, your kids fighting 'pointless' wars in Middle Eats, and high gas prices.

Do I agree that we all should be happy for everything that Southpaw mentioned? Absolutely. Is that enough for people to remain in that state of euphoria? Well obviously not.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe the reason some wince at statements like God Bless the USA
    is both because
    1. it seems to presume that if we just keep saying it, it will remain true indefinitely and
    2. it simultaneously carries a lot of preconceptual God baggage with it.

Yeah, maybe that's needlessly complicated, but then maybe the
    original sentiment is needlessly arrogant - even though I surely understand
    what is meant. But at the end of the day it's like praying for the Broncos to win.
    Last edited by mistere; 03.16.08 at 10:13 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry.
    We can all benefit from this thread by understanding people's experiences, to think more accurately for ourselves and where we are on this rock. We have enough reason to have pride for our country, but we must admire the people who sacrificed themselves under arms, roles and especially their own words, and what it meant for us AND the hierarchy. But most importantly, we need to come to understand where our country is in the world and what that means for us.

Sometimes I wonder if we could've destroyed our television boxes to save ourselves from delusion, but I fear it's too late for that. Otherwise, we could've made a lot better decisions in the past.
    Last edited by Kevy5150; 03.16.08 at 10:21 AM.
    Respects.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.01.09 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I have acquaintances like that in 3rd world countries. For crying out loud I was used to living all 3 months of summer in a village with a well outside the house, obviously no hot water, no TV and living off shrooms, vegs and berries we'd go harvesting every day. And I can assure you these were the best summers of my life.
    As much as I like my iPod, Dell and DirecTV, I do agree with you there. I miss living in the country and being outside ALL THE TIME. It was great.