Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default Grizzly Bear vs Mother Cougar

    While we're on the subject of white sharks, I stumbled across this one -



    You'd be surprised.



    And another one -




    I'm not surprised about the outcome of that battle - there's like a dozen of lions versus an elephant. What I'm shocked with is that *all* of them are females. Like huh

  2. #2
    Super Duper Frontman track 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.00
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    7,887
    Last Online

    12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    1,311
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts


    Premium Member
    I love that shit. I'm a "big cat" fan. Next to Wolves, I'm all about the big cats. Having seen both out in the sticks, I love that shit. Thanks for the vids. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

    You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

    "You stupid fuck!" Seen

    "Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm not surprised at either one of those battles. The cougar may be one of the smaller of the wild cats but it's still a mother protecting her young. It also has the most amazing "roar" of any cat.

    Lions are communal but also territorial. A pride is "ruled" by an ubermale who may fertilize more than one female, although more than one male may live within the pride. Cubs are tended by all the females in the pride. However, this is not always good. If a female feels her hierarchy within the pride is being threatened by another female she will eat the cubs of that female as a warning. Lions are the only cats to do this. Lions are mean.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

  4. #4
    Hang 'Em High Hurricane Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.17.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Posts
    6,600
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    All of them
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Likes
    3,042
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

    Default

    Strong cats always eat a bowl of Meow Mix!

    HH<------It's 3:30am and why am I up....oh yeah, WORK!-------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

    UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Cool stuff. Don't mess with the big cat.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post
    I love that shit. I'm a "big cat" fan. Next to Wolves, I'm all about the big cats. Having seen both out in the sticks, I love that shit. Thanks for the vids. Out.
    You'd totally love this one then -



    I knew about cross-breed species of dogs and wolves that become larger and more vicious than their parents, but this one is just enormous!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    I'm not surprised at either one of those battles. The cougar may be one of the smaller of the wild cats but it's still a mother protecting her young. It also has the most amazing "roar" of any cat.

    Lions are communal but also territorial. A pride is "ruled" by an ubermale who may fertilize more than one female, although more than one male may live within the pride. Cubs are tended by all the females in the pride. However, this is not always good. If a female feels her hierarchy within the pride is being threatened by another female she will eat the cubs of that female as a warning. Lions are the only cats to do this. Lions are mean.
    Are you sure? Coz I've heard it the other way around - once a male lion comes across another pride's territory first they fight, then if the winning male is the alien one he kills the cubs.

  7. #7
    Johnson Rod Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.08.00
    Age
    37
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Last Online

    10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    It's not a surprise the cougar won over the Bear. The bear was just hungry, but the cougar fought with a purpose. I was watching something on Bears one time where the giant male Bear was the dominant Bear at the river, and went after some cubs, and out of nowhere came the mother bear, much smaller and kicked his ass.

    It's the whole, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog," saying.

    With regard to lions...the females do all the damn dirty work in regards to hunting. What they typically do not show is the male lion hangs around and waits for the prey to become so weak and they jump in the finish the job. The male eats, the females wait their turn. It's quite remarkable. The males are very much capable of hunting, when they don't have a pride to hunt for them. But once they established a pride....lazy motherfuckers.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

    The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

    The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

    The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

    The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

    2007 Fantasy Football Champion

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    With regard to lions...the females do all the damn dirty work in regards to hunting. What they typically do not show is the male lion hangs around and waits for the prey to become so weak and they jump in the finish the job. The male eats, the females wait their turn. It's quite remarkable. The males are very much capable of hunting, when they don't have a pride to hunt for them. But once they established a pride....lazy motherfuckers.
    Sort of like how once I moved out of my mom's house I somehow managed to feed myself everyday, but once I got married I relied on my wife.

  9. #9
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Are you sure? Coz I've heard it the other way around - once a male lion comes across another pride's territory first they fight, then if the winning male is the alien one he kills the cubs.
    According to this you are correct. However, I can almost swear that I saw a female eating the cubs on one of those nature shows. Either way lions are mean.

    Habitat and Lion Pride
    The lion is found in parts of Africa south of the Sahara desert. Lions are the most social of all the felids, and live in organized groups called prides which can hold four to forty members. The pride is made up of related lionesses and their cubs and one to six males which have fought their way into the pride. If a lion is killed by another lion trying to join the pride, the previous male's cubs will be killed to give way for the new dominate lion's offspring. When a female comes to realize her cubs are gone, she goes into estrus and mates with the new dominate male. The pride is very social, and they often lick and rub heads with each other. The males are the protectors of the pride, and the females are the hunters and take care of the cubs.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Fucking hell, another shocking one, at least for me it was -



    *ZEBRA* kicks lioness' ass!

  11. #11
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    That zebra was smart! Poor Lioness thought she was going to have a nice zebra dinner. Her problem was she applied "the killing bite" too high on the neck.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Yeah it's increadible that zebra would actually know that submerging lioness' head into water might kill her.

    What I find strange is how "passive" animal fights are. When you see those videos of some tiger or lion holding it's prey they would just bite their teeth into prey's skin and do nothing for like half a minute - and some unlucky bull or a giraffe would do absolutely nothing! That's so different from how people fight - fast, intense, punching and kicking away and all.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Not trying to turn this into another Cougar vs Grizzly Thread but.....

    The only thing the cat has against the Grizzly is the speed.

    I personally think the Grizzly Bear is one of the most majestic animals out there. Something about them that just fascinates me.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I wonder how Bear vs Crocodile fight would turn out. All the videos I've seen on youtube with a croc being involved are with croc being an absolute winner (well, save for that tiger video).

  15. #15
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Yeah it's increadible that zebra would actually know that submerging lioness' head into water might kill her.

    What I find strange is how "passive" animal fights are. When you see those videos of some tiger or lion holding it's prey they would just bite their teeth into prey's skin and do nothing for like half a minute - and some unlucky bull or a giraffe would do absolutely nothing! That's so different from how people fight - fast, intense, punching and kicking away and all.
    I think the passivity comes from fear. They literally know the smell of danger. Plus, animals such as zebras, gazelles, warthogs, your basic lion fare, are used to traveling in packs. Once they are separated from the pack they are all ready scared, add in a predator and you get immobilization.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Cops can't bear living like the rest of us
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08.11.07, 05:05 PM
  2. 300 Pound Black Bear vs Marine
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06.23.07, 06:07 PM
  3. Study: Polar Bear Genitals are Shrinking
    By map57 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11.19.06, 08:09 AM
  4. Bad Ass Kills Cougar
    By TheresOnlyOneWay in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04.21.05, 07:32 PM
  5. John Cougar Mellencamp
    By Panama Dog in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09.25.00, 03:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •