Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Great White Shark Stuff

Now that I'm in my 7th week of Marine Science I've been cruising related websites.

The Great White Shark is a local entity here on the Central Coast and as it turns out the Monterey Bay Aquarium is leading the way in research on this creature:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-utu021808.php

Unveiling the underwater ways of the white shark

It's hard to study a creature when you only catch fleeting glimpses of it. Up until recently, that was one of the big stumbling blocks for marine biologists and ecologists, but advances in electronic tracking technology have allowed them to peer farther across, and deeper under, the surface of the oceans than ever before.

Satellite tracking systems and acoustic sensors are giving researchers insights into the behavior and lifestyles of some very elusive animals in the ocean, including the fabled white shark.

Researchers from several institutions, including Stanford University, have joined their efforts in a Census of Marine Life project called Tagging of Pacific Predators (TOPP). Since the project began in 1999, they have attached more than 3,000 tags to sharks, seals, whales, tunas, squids, turtles, albatross and more. For the first time, these TOPP researchers are getting a glimpse of a pelagic ecosystem from the California Current to the North Pacific at daily, seasonal and yearly time scales.

Along with the white shark, the TOPP researchers also have been studying the routes and habits of two cousins of the white shark: the salmon shark, whose range extends from the glaciers of Alaska down to Baja California, where it crosses over the white sharks' territory along the continental coast, and the mako shark, which resides along the continental shelf off California. The team also has tagged thresher sharks and blue sharks.

Sharks are a vital part of oceanic ecosystems. As the top predators in the food chain, they regulate the populations of the species below them. If shark populations get in trouble, it can trigger a cascading effect all the way down the food chain. The TOPP team has used several distinct tag technologies to get a simultaneous view of how these sharks divide up the ocean turf.

Salvador Jorgensen, a postdoctoral researcher at Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station and the Monterey Bay Aquarium, is part of the group that has been tagging and monitoring white sharks, more popularly known as great white sharks.

Jorgensen is scheduled to discuss the team's work during a symposium titled "Will Too Few Jaws Take Too Big a Bite" The Importance of Sharks to Ocean Ecosystems," beginning at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in Boston. He also will discuss the work at a press briefing about the symposium scheduled for 3 p.m. that afternoon.

What they have found has opened up a whole new vista in the white shark's world. It turns out white sharks are quite the sightseers.

Jorgensen and his colleagues have tagged more than 100 white sharks along the central California coast. Home to numerous seal and sea lion rookeries, the area along the continental shelf is practically one long lunch counter for the white sharks. But in spite of the fine dining available there, the sharks exhibit an urge to roam.

Through tracking the tagged sharks, the TOPP team has found two distant destinations that the sharks favor, both of which they visit on a regular, annual travel timetable. Each winter the white sharks head out from the California coast, with some going to the Hawaiian Islands. Most, however, head to another hotspot, out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This second location is roughly 1,300 miles from the mainland-about half the distance to Hawaii-and a few hundred miles to the south of the direct route to the islands. Dubbed "the white shark café" by the researchers, just what the attraction is out there remains something of a puzzle. But what is clear is that all the sharks that summer along the California coast show remarkable fidelity; when they return to the mainland, they head for the same local neighborhoods that they favor every summer.

"These animals appear again and again at very specific areas," Jorgensen said. Despite the sharks' ability to move through the ocean to wherever they please, they stick to consistent routes and destinations. It is a striking finding, because white sharks are found off South Africa and Australia, in addition to the West Coast of North America, but what the TOPP team and other researchers have found is that the populations do not appear to mix. New data presented by the TOPP team indicate that even between Pacific Ocean basin populations there are genetic differences. This means that white sharks, at least the females, have maintained long term isolation in the Eastern Pacific.

"This is really important in terms of management, so that management can focus on these population units," Jorgensen said. "And this really sets the stage for us to census the population, now that we know it is a confined population in the eastern Pacific."

There is another group of white sharks that tend to congregate near Guadalupe Island, offshore from Baja California, south of the California population that the TOPP team has been studying, but it is not yet clear whether they are distinct from the central California group.

Most of the tags used by the TOPP researchers have been electronic tags that are monitored by satellite. Those tags provide location data when the sharks are on the high seas. The other tags are acoustic tags; sensors installed along the California coast pick up the signal whenever one of the tagged sharks swims by.

The TOPP program maintains a live access server that gives regular updates on the locations of the sharks that have been tagged. "My favorite activity is to wake up and check where the sharks are," said Barbara Block, the Charles and Elizabeth Prothro Professor in Marine Sciences at Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Why on earth would you do that??
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.16.08 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Man = "Tickle, tickle, tickle...."
    Shark = "oh ho, ha ha, stop that!"

Incredible shot. Thanks for posting. Interesting article as well.
    Victory Over Violence
    www.vov.com

Soka Gakkai Int'l USA
    http://www.sgi-usa.org/thesgiusa/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I guess nobody ever told that shark not to play with his food.

My Blog:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nonsense, even sharkys like a good belly rub.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.16.08 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    Nonsense, even sharkys like a good belly rub.

A little scratchie-poo under the fin...

Just don't try to pat him on the head.
    Victory Over Violence
    www.vov.com

Soka Gakkai Int'l USA
    http://www.sgi-usa.org/thesgiusa/

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

its a bad ass creature, but i dont believe the rap they get, however there is one out there that can take it out
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually two, but I don't have a picture of Roy Schieder to post.

Honestly, you gotta give great whites props. They are the perfect killing machine.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    So according to what I read, this "shark repeller" actually attracts them, then when they get to it, they bite it in half.............great.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    its a bad ass creature, but i dont believe the rap they get, however there is one out there that can take it out
    This is true.

The orca is the king of the seas. No question.

I'd be a bit skeptical to come near a wild one...but when exposed to man, they are quite the gental giant.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    This is true.

The orca is the king of the seas. No question.

I'd be a bit skeptical to come near a wild one...but when exposed to man, they are quite the gental giant.

Amazing how intelligent they are too. I wouldn't want to run across one in the wild.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Amazing how intelligent they are too. I wouldn't want to run across one in the wild.

Well that's the thing....if they can associate man with friend...then they are gental giants. There have been instances of orca attacks on humans, even in the water parks...but that doesn't always mean anything. It's like if you have an old dog that doesn't want to be messed with and it nips at you...
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion