Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wiring Schematic

i bought a Seymour Duncan Custom humbucker, which has coil splitting. im building a frankenstein for myself but i cant find a wiring schematic for what i want.

standard mexican strat pickup in the neck (im just bumming it off a friend of mine)

3 way selector switch

humbucker in rear cavity with coil splitting enabled.

again, it's [the humbucker] a Duncan Custom SH-5.

any help?
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The neck pickup is not connected on the franky, it is for show.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

If you're building a Frank all you need to wire is the humbucker.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Here's the diagram you're looking for, if you want to be able to split the humbucker:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...hum_1vol_split

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i play some Stevie Ray Vaughan and bluesy stuff though, so i wanna wire it with the neck pickup hooked up, and with the coil splitting enabled on the hum. im building this one mostly the same as Ed's, but with a few additions for myself. i even did my own striping pattern, still r/w/b, but with a totally different pattern and my name taped on the back of it.
    Last edited by hotforteacher921; 03.10.08 at 09:14 PM.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds cool ... post some pics!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Good for you

I think it's great that you wired up the front pickup. In fact, it's such a wast to have the pickup installed and not terminated. The whole thing about one pickup and one knob is limiting to say the least.

And Ed's idea that other pickups inline messing with the sound is a false misconception. He should have a guitar with single coils to get the women in love tone. I applaude you be hooking those cool options up. The guitar will still look the same and get many great tones.
    Last edited by bosstone.net; 03.11.08 at 04:04 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    I think it's great that you wired up the front pickup. In fact, it's such a wast to have the pickup installed and not terminated. The whole thing about one pickup and one knob is limiting to say the least.

And Ed's idea that other pickups inline messing with the sound is a false misconception. He should have a guitar with single coils to get the women in love tone. I applaude you be hooking those cool options up. The guitar will still look the same and get many great tones.
    well i havent wired it yet, because i cant find a friggin schematic anywhere. i emailed Seymour Duncan but they havent responded yet.

also, what do all you folks reccomend? my own custom striping (still red, white and black) or the pattern on eddies original frankenstein?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's an easy diagram to figure out. Go to seymourduncan.com and look at the options and diagrams. As far as the stripes go.....why not be unique and do your own pattern, I think thats a cool idea myself.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    It's an easy diagram to figure out. Go to seymourduncan.com and look at the options and diagrams. As far as the stripes go.....why not be unique and do your own pattern, I think thats a cool idea myself.
    trouble is, this is the first guitar ive tried to build and have no wiring experience. so i cant really figure it out by myself. i looked on the website and cant find it there.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Use this diagram and omit the tone knob and the middle pickup.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...2s_1v_1t_5w_pp

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do you have one like that with a 3 way switch?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This diagram will work fine for you. The 5 way is wired the same as a 3 way. And you will omit the middle wire. Trust me this will be no problem if you take your time.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can someone look in the Telecaster section of the wiring diagrams in the Seymour Duncan website and tell me if their 1 humbucker, 1 single coil, 1 push/pull layout would work with my combination?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok i have 3 questions.

1-why is 1 pickup on a strat wired to the bridge?

2-my pickups appear to be made to be mounted to a pickguard. could i build a little wooden step for these to rest on to get them closer to the strings? would this have any negative effect

3-my duncan custom has all the little screws in the bottom of it. are those meant to hold the covering on, or do i lossen them and then tighten them into pilot holes in the body?