Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

Default Al forced Ed into rehab pre-tour

Forgive the direct title of the thread. Sorta conveys more "drama" than it should. But it seems people have missed an interesting quote from Bertinelli in one of her interviews recently. I forgot which one (wasn't Oprah, radio interview I think?), anyway I read it right here in one of the Val threads, buried deep within. I think people were bitchin at each other so much it got overlooked.

Anyway, she said that Al told Ed he had to go to rehab or there would be no tour. To me that's a hefty bit of insider type info. Something we're all intrigued by and crave. Anyway, just curious if people were aware of this happening. Good for Al, that's what a big brother is for, times like that.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

01.26.16 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    Forgive the direct title of the thread. Sorta conveys more "drama" than it should. But it seems people have missed an interesting quote from Bertinelli in one of her interviews recently. I forgot which one (wasn't Oprah, radio interview I think?), anyway I read it right here in one of the Val threads, buried deep within. I think people were bitchin at each other so much it got overlooked.

Anyway, she said that Al told Ed he had to go to rehab or there would be no tour. To me that's a hefty bit of insider type info. Something we're all intrigued by and crave. Anyway, just curious if people were aware of this happening. Good for Al, that's what a big brother is for, times like that.

This was also in her book
    Jomama

1984 - Dallas
    1987 - Dallas
    1992 - Dallas
    2008 - Jan 26
    2008 - April 24
    1987 DLR - Dallas

2006 Sammy - Dallas
    2007 Sammy - Dallas

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

She says Wolfie said he would not tour after a particularly bad photoshoot unless Ed went to rehab. Geez guys, we have enough disinformation here, don't add to it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    She says Wolfie said he would not tour after a particularly bad photoshoot unless Ed went to rehab. Geez guys, we have enough disinformation here, don't add to it.
    I'm telling you, Valerie was quoted as saying what my post said. I'll go find the thread and post when I have some time.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jomama View Post
    This was also in her book
    better update that March 3rd 2008 to April 24th 2008, if they make it that is, just sayin

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    I'm telling you, Valerie was quoted as saying what my post said. I'll go find the thread and post when I have some time.
    How about reading the book for yourself, which I did, and knowing what was actually written rather than searching posts where there could have easily been a typo made.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At risk of referring to bickering that got another thread closed down by Brett, what I kinda think that is interesting is how people are saying "they (or Dave) should shut the tour down and give Ed enough time until he is ready and completely ready to go". Then the beration of Dave begins how he is caring more about money etc...

Well I hate to ask it, but isn't that what they did prior to the tour starting - shut the tour down and let Ed have as much time as he needed? There comes a point where Ed has to adapt his behaviour to his scheduled commitments - people have been pretty considerate of him from all I've seen - again they've shut the tour down for a few more weeks to enable him to function fully again - whether its alcohol or another problem (or a combo).

I don't think you can blame Dave too much for wanting to do the tour while it's possible - maybe this is the best Ed gets and keeping him on the road with a reason to stay sober, functional and with a professional/personal purpose to his life might be the most facilitative thing they can do to support his rehab. From reports I've read he wasn't exactly passing away days at home knitting and at some stage he has to leave rehab...

Here he has his brother with him on the road, he has his son with him, Valerie who cares about him, Dave who may care about him more than we know, and a hell of a lot of fans who (while they do provide some expectation) also provide some positive reinforcement (and negative when he's messed up)...
    If he was to ditch the tour amidst all this, it would be fairly certain that there would be a built up association between touring/falling off the wagon - for him to end this tour successfully - well it gives him a lot more hope for the future and lets him know it is still possible. I think it's pretty important for him personally to finish this tour off sober and see the benefits of doing so...

just another perspective.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanRoth07 View Post
    better update that March 3rd 2008 to April 24th 2008, if they make it that is, just sayin
    thanks bro I did that
    Jomama

1984 - Dallas
    1987 - Dallas
    1992 - Dallas
    2008 - Jan 26
    2008 - April 24
    1987 DLR - Dallas

2006 Sammy - Dallas
    2007 Sammy - Dallas

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    How about reading the book for yourself, which I did, and knowing what was actually written rather than searching posts where there could have easily been a typo made.
    she did say it to I read it somewhere Al said he wasnt doing to tour unless he was sober
    Jomama

1984 - Dallas
    1987 - Dallas
    1992 - Dallas
    2008 - Jan 26
    2008 - April 24
    1987 DLR - Dallas

2006 Sammy - Dallas
    2007 Sammy - Dallas

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

both wolf and al wanted ed in rehab. its in the book. also if you read the book as sad as it is, it dosent seem like ed cares wether he gets better or not. when you beat cancer and continue to smoke, drink, and do coke then i dont think you really care. if your wife of 20 yrs says get clean for good or i am divorcing you and your response is fuck you, divorce me. i think ed has some real bad demons and we should just hope the best and be happy with what we have from him. there are so many runing around wanting new shit from ed. it pisses me off. i would rather have the memories and ed not play another note and be healthy then to be so selfish and demand stuff from him. you get the since in vals book that he was able to stay somewhat clean and life was good between albums and tours but as soon as he hit the studio it was back to the booze and coke.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Sounds like a whole lot of people told Ed to go into rehab.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Al made it clear that he didn't want to tour unless Ed was sober. Then the capper was when Wolfie came home extremely upset one day after a photo shoot. He'd also run out of patience and said something like "I'm telling Dad that I'm not doing the tour". He didn't want to tell me what happened or whether he'd spoken to his father about it. Soon after, though, Ed checked himself in for treatment. " page 256 from Losing It.

It seems the comment about Al was there but I took it saying that the capper was Wolfie saying he would not tour was the driving force, the final straw so to speak.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

It's a sad story.

You certainly know that Wolfie is learning a lesson in what not to get yourself into. Unfortunately, it comes at his father's expense.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    It's a sad story.

You certainly know that Wolfie is learning a lesson in what not to get yourself into. Unfortunately, it comes at his father's expense.
    I agree with this post.
    As long a Wolf doesn't start, he'll be fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Ed's Future Ex-Wife
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.06.08 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bolivraga View Post
    At risk of referring to bickering that got another thread closed down by Brett, what I kinda think that is interesting is how people are saying "they (or Dave) should shut the tour down and give Ed enough time until he is ready and completely ready to go". Then the beration of Dave begins how he is caring more about money etc...

Well I hate to ask it, but isn't that what they did prior to the tour starting - shut the tour down and let Ed have as much time as he needed? There comes a point where Ed has to adapt his behaviour to his scheduled commitments - people have been pretty considerate of him from all I've seen - again they've shut the tour down for a few more weeks to enable him to function fully again - whether its alcohol or another problem (or a combo).

I don't think you can blame Dave too much for wanting to do the tour while it's possible - maybe this is the best Ed gets and keeping him on the road with a reason to stay sober, functional and with a professional/personal purpose to his life might be the most facilitative thing they can do to support his rehab. From reports I've read he wasn't exactly passing away days at home knitting and at some stage he has to leave rehab...

Here he has his brother with him on the road, he has his son with him, Valerie who cares about him, Dave who may care about him more than we know, and a hell of a lot of fans who (while they do provide some expectation) also provide some positive reinforcement (and negative when he's messed up)...
    If he was to ditch the tour amidst all this, it would be fairly certain that there would be a built up association between touring/falling off the wagon - for him to end this tour successfully - well it gives him a lot more hope for the future and lets him know it is still possible. I think it's pretty important for him personally to finish this tour off sober and see the benefits of doing so...

just another perspective.
    Great post.