Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Epiphone SG G-400 Deluxe

Picked this up a few days ago with the MF Stupid Deal of the Day.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ard?sku=512588

$299 is what I paid. Delivered to my house yesterday. Really impressed so far. First Epi I have owned that stays in tune without a pro setup.

I've owned the Gibson 62 reissue in the past, some may think I'm crazy but these pickups rival those on the 62...the 57 classics. A nice meaty growl to them. Action is nice and low, and it is one hell of a looker. For three hundy, I ain't complaining.

I know Epi's are hit and miss, but I got a good one here it seems. We'll see how it holds up over time.

I haven't been playing much for the past 6-8 months, (mostly concentrating on drums) it is amazing how quick you can lose your coordination on the fretboard, and at the same time, how quickly you can get it back....like riding a bike I suppose.

Anyway, I am enjoying my new guitar, can't hardly put it down. I know you guys know the feeling.
    Last edited by Southpaw; 03.08.08 at 10:46 AM.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted to edit my original post and add, but..timing is everything.

My original thought was for everyone to check out the MF Stupid Deal. Some good stuff on there sometimes.
    Last edited by Southpaw; 03.08.08 at 03:37 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Killer score.
    Epis are a crapshoot without a good setup.
    With that price though, you did well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Killer score.
    Epis are a crapshoot without a good setup.
    With that price though, you did well.
    Yeah thanks man, it was a killer score. I'm really digging this SG.

Either the neck doesn't feel as heavy as most SG's I've played or I have gotten quite used to them.....probably the latter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Epi's on a roll

Gotta say. Epiphone have finally got it right. Since Gibby opened up in China the quality is so much better.I sold my Gibson '91 les Paul (bought new) 5 yrs. ago from lack of use at the time. I got the jones to go buy me another last year, and almost had a coronary when I looked at the prices. I paid 1,200 bones for my wine Paul in '91 ,and for that same basic guitar today WITHOUT an ebony fingerboard was $3,999.99. Man....if I'd known that a relatively new standard Paul would tripple in price.....What an idiot! Any way. I picked up one of the new Epi's and gave it a whirl through an old Rivera Knucklehead at the store and I gotta tell you the differences between it and my old Grail where negligable. Aside from the neck not being as perfect as you'd expect from a product on this side of the Pacific, it played very well. Pickups sounded and felt a little on the chintzy side, but Iv'e got lots of em from old projects. For 3 or 4 hunny's you really cant go wrong. At least until Gibson come to their senses and knock a grand or so off a standard. Yeah Sure!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Yeah I picked up an Epi Korna Explorer a few years back for about $250. It had a busted toggle switch. I replaced that and put new tuners on it and that thing was a beast. It had a nice warm sound and was killer looking. Stupid me let my brother borrow it only to find out that he busted the fucking neck.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was thinking of picking up one of those doubleneck (white) epiphones they are pushing out there.

what do you guys think of those? do they stay in tune?

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post
    i was thinking of picking up one of those doubleneck (white) epiphones they are pushing out there.

what do you guys think of those? do they stay in tune?

I didn't find a white doubleneck out there...just this one...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518455

As far as staying in tune, from what I have seen it is hit and miss with Epi's. If it doesn't stay in tune, it probably just needs a setup. I actually complained to Epiphone about this years ago, and they mailed me a new set of tuners to put on. Their service people were quite helpful.

Personally, I think this one is quite the looker...

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...ollectionID=16

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

[ For 3 or 4 hunny's you really cant go wrong. At least until Gibson come to their senses and knock a grand or so off a standard. Yeah Sure![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I know Gibson is a top of the line product and all, but I think they price themselves out of quite a few sales. It almost seems kind of arrogant of them to ask 3-5 grand for a Les Paul. Plus, the higher end Epis are pretty damn nice for a fraction of the cost (even with upgrades). I can't imagine a lot of working musicians having that king of expendable dough for a guitar. I mean, you can buy a lot of other good equipment and a good guitar for 5 grand.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah I dig 'em. It still rubs me the wrong way a little to buy a foreign made job cause I like to support our workers first y'know? But hey it all comes down to playin' six strings on a piece of wood! That's what its really about.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    My original thought was for everyone to check out the MF Stupid Deal. Some good stuff on there sometimes.
    I check the Stupid Deal every day, and to date I've only bought one thing: the MF tweed bass gig bag that was up maybe a little more than a week ago. It was like $15 shipped.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I check the Stupid Deal every day, and to date I've only bought one thing: the MF tweed bass gig bag that was up maybe a little more than a week ago. It was like $15 shipped.
    I check it everyday too Andrew. Most of the time I couldn't be less interested. Very happy I ran into this one though. Saved me a $130 bones, and you can't complain about that. I know SG's aren't your style, but, this one has a nice grove to it.

Great guitar.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I check it everyday too Andrew. Most of the time I couldn't be less interested. Very happy I ran into this one though. Saved me a $130 bones, and you can't complain about that. I know SG's aren't your style, but, this one has a nice grove to it.

Great guitar.
    Actually, paw, I debated buying one of those as well! A few of their deals have tempted me quite a bit--the SG being one of them.

I'm glad you're into it. I love "surprise" guitars like that. My last Strat I built has turned into one of my favorite guitars ever, and I only meant for it to be a side project kind of thing.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Actually, paw, I debated buying one of those as well! A few of their deals have tempted me quite a bit--the SG being one of them.

I'm glad you're into it. I love "surprise" guitars like that. My last Strat I built has turned into one of my favorite guitars ever, and I only meant for it to be a side project kind of thing.

I've seen pics of your projects, looks like you do good work AT, as do many of the folks around these parts. I wish I could do that. I tried painting my first Frankie replica about a month ago, it was pretty much an abortion. However, I realize it was my first time trying anything like that so I have decided to give it another go fairly soon. Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes and it'll come out a bit more professional this time.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just keep at it. Gotta have the hunger.
    Whatta ya think my first guitars looked like?
    Crap.
    But I kept at it.
    Now they look yummy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com