Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Default What has happened to Eddie?

Okay, this is just me thinking out loud. This is only based on by observations of the band, with no inside information.

The current state of Eddie's behavior has led me to wonder, when did he get this bad? Best I can remember, it wasn't really until after VH3 fell apart that Eddie really started going downhill. You didn't hear anything from him until the Sammy reunion it 2004, which was not great. The magic onstage was gone, and Eddie almost seemed to have an open hostility for the fans. This isn't the Eddie that I'd seen before. I thought about it for awhile, and this is what I've come up with.

David Lee Roth is a strong personality, with probably alot of influence over how the first six albums sounded. Eddie more than likely relented to most of DLRs directions about how the music should go. Eddie wanted to put keys on 1984, but DLR was against it. There was friction creatively, and the band broke up.

Enter Sammy Hagar. Sammy was great for the band, but again, a strong influence over the musical direction of the band. I think that even though they co-created the music, Eddie never really felt like "his" musical creativity was being heard. I came to this conclusion when I read something DLR and Sammy said. During the Hagar/Roth tour, they were talking about VH3, and I think it was Hagar that said it went too many directions, and that he had to reign Eddie in from that tendency to make a coherent song, and Roth agreed, and said he had that experience too.

So...............

Enter Gary Cherone.
    Here's a guy that is just happy to be invited to the party. He is in awe of Eddie, probably from when he was a kid. I'm sure his input as far as the music was concerned was, "Here's the song, go write some lyrics". The lineup of VH3 gave Eddie a blank canvas to openly express his musical vision, and say what you want about the music, but Eddie's playing on that album was absolutely incredible.

Here is where I think the change occurs. The fans reject Gary as a lead singer, and the album is a critical failure. I imagine Eddie was completely devestated by this, after all, this was HIS musical vision, unmolested by anyone, and it failed to generate excitement. So Eddie starts resenting the fans, and disappears into addiction. He reunites with Sammy to generate buzz about his Art Series guitars, and recoils once again, until this tour.

Just a theory.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not too bad really.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Well... yeah.

Nice summary though.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:46 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Your right he gave up after 3 and it was a shame because i liked that lineup
    couldn't wait for the second cd to come out.Maybe this is a wakeup call for Ed...i can only hope.

Say live and let live, so quick to judge
    Slow to forgive, when you're holding a grudge
    Don't always believe, all you need is love

Last Online

If we accept this theory as correct, it explains alot of what's going on presently. Many people here feel that Eddie doesn't give a fuck about his fans, and this would go a long way to explaining why. After years of Eddie seeing the fans as people that were there to see him because of his music, he had to face that fact that the fans rejected music that was truly his creation. After years of believing that Van Halen was just he and Alex, he had to come to the realization that it was as much about DLR and Sammy as it was him, musically speaking. I don't think he ever wanted to be a nostalgia act, but I think that's what he believes the fans want.

I believe that he was going to coast through this reunion tour like he did in 2004, but there was one very important difference, Wolfgang. He very much wanted Wolfgang to play bass, but he needed to straighten out before any responsible mother would let her teenage son go on tour with him. He got cleaned up, and I honestly believe he might have been genuinely excited about the tour. If Eddie did fall off the wagon, it more than likely brought back all those feelings of insecurity about the music, and resentment for the fans because of the success of the DLR/VH reunion.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

07.21.16 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually I think the wheels really started coming off with the death of their Manager Ed Lefler in 1993. That really hit the band hard all the way around. Note the dark tone of 'Balance' as they worked through their feelings on his passing. Then on Twister things really went south.
    Besides other interviews with Sammy since then that seem to indicate Ed started getting more difficult to deal with and was hiding his alcohol addiction.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

WHAT THE HELL!!!!

No snide remarks from h*bunter ?????

What is going on here?
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's cos they are doing it for the money, and have been for some time. 3 songs in 9 years makes it pretty obvious - how can a band be a real band when there is no new music? The Stones, Aerosmit etc all release something new occasionally, it keeps them fresh. Ed created some of the greatest music, but he is now only a performer, and a deteriorated one at that.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samhalen View Post
    Actually I think the wheels really started coming off with the death of their Manager Ed Lefler in 1993. That really hit the band hard all the way around.
    Bingo. Van Halen died with Lefler.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well NoBozos...I think your theory is about dead on. Ed is extremely talented and VH3 does have real brilliance on it but I don't listen to it...becuase the songs are all over the place and Cherone's vocals didn't fit the band as well as Roth or Hagar. I also think Ed was using Mike Post (TV/Movie soundtrack guy) as a sounding board and not SH or DLR who would be straight up with him. I remember even on the 3 2004 songs SH was complaining that Ed was taking 3 months to rework a song during recording.....but on VH2 they wrapped the entire thing in 2 weeks and it's a great CD that stands the test of time. Even the best guitar players need a solid writing partner to package things up. Slash is a great guitar player but VR sucks big time when compared to GnR...and the only difference is Axl dumb ass.

I think Ed wanted to evolve and his core fans wanted to have some party music. Use AC/DC as a comparison....they would never depart too far from their core sound or the fans would revolt....as what happened to Metallica on that last POS...St. Anger.

The thing I can't understand is Ed's guitar solo spot. He is arguable the greatest rock guitar player ever, but in 2008 he still plays the same old stuff he wrote over 20 years ago. I would like to think he can create all kinds of cool stuff to appeal to his core guitar playing fans....but for some reason he can't anymore. He must have a creative block that he can't get out of and it has to be very frustrating to him. Ed was always the kind of guy that has loads of songs coming into his head in the early years and he worked hard to get them on tape....but somewhere that must have stopped...and I'll bet he is depressed about it. If he was the old Ed he would have recorded an album with DLR before hitting the road just to throw in a few new tracks to spice up the tour for him.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Default mike post theme

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by samhalen View Post
    Actually I think the wheels really started coming off with the death of their Manager Ed Lefler in 1993. That really hit the band hard all the way around. Note the dark tone of 'Balance' as they worked through their feelings on his passing. Then on Twister things really went south.
    Besides other interviews with Sammy since then that seem to indicate Ed started getting more difficult to deal with and was hiding his alcohol addiction.
    Bingo, Bango, Bongo! I also happen to see the passing of Ed Lefler as the watershed moment in what started the downward spiral of the band - even if I really loved the dark and moody direction of Balance and Humans Being.

The bottom line is that none of us will really ever know what transpired to turn Van Halen into a dead ringer for Spinal Tap - but, for my money, this is what started the plunge into complete and utter wackiness.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Last Online

Yeah, Lefler is probably a major component in the equation. Maybe the one guy Eddie respected enough to be able to reign in his ego and addiction. Once you're surrounded by yes-men, you are doomed.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wip5150 View Post
    Bingo, Bango, Bongo! I also happen to see the passing of Ed Lefler as the watershed moment in what started the downward spiral of the band - even if I really loved the dark and moody direction of Balance and Humans Being.

The bottom line is that none of us will really ever know what transpired to turn Van Halen into a dead ringer for Spinal Tap - but, for my money, this is what started the plunge into complete and utter wackiness.
    But why was Ed Lefler so important? Was he the one that kept them from fighting, did he have that kind of control to keep the band in line.