Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Epiphone / Yamaha Guitar Poll

Hi.

Let me know which you would choose...

One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I own one of the semi-hollow Yamaha AES620 guitars. It's a great instrument and kicks the shit out of most Epiphones. As a matter of fact, it's even better than the lower line Gibsons.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My cheap epi les paul is ok. The pickups were garbage so I put EMG's in it, and now it is kind of a joke guitar. I would go for the Yamaha.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Never been a fan of Epiphone guitars, especially the LPs. I've played some that were ok, but, to me, I feel they are crappily made (Crappily is a very "cromulent" word).

I've played Yamaha stuff that was hit or miss, but the mid-line stuff is usually pretty consistent.

Go for the Yamaha.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

every epi ive owned has needed re-fretting within the 1st year and i normaly ended up changing the volume pots quite quickly aswell because they become crackly very quickly.
    yamaha's seem more consistant (mid price to top price range) even the pacifica lines are pretty decent and gigable, so i would go for the yammy
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    every epi ive owned has needed re-fretting within the 1st year and i normaly ended up changing the volume pots quite quickly aswell because they become crackly very quickly.
    yamaha's seem more consistant (mid price to top price range) even the pacifica lines are pretty decent and gigable, so i would go for the yammy
    The store I teach at has been selling the Pacifica as its starter guitar for several years now. They're well built and most importantly consistent. The fret work and nut are both good, and the guitar can be intonated across the fingerboard and maintain that intonation decently. I can't say the same for the average Epi, low-line BC Rich, Squier, and especially not those Wal-Mart/Target/Costco Starcaster things.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

man , i really like my epiphone 1991 les paul custom pawn shop find . granted i threw a gibson 500t in the bridge and a dimarzio fred in the neck and disconeccted the tone pots. but the action super low , at this point it needs a refret and some new tuners.

maybe ill put emg s in there but just worried how they ll sound through my 5150 head.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    man , i really like my epiphone 1991 les paul custom pawn shop find . granted i threw a gibson 500t in the bridge and a dimarzio fred in the neck and disconeccted the tone pots. but the action super low , at this point it needs a refret and some new tuners.

maybe ill put emg s in there but just worried how they ll sound through my 5150 head.
    one has to wonder just what kind of fret wire epiphone use, everyone i know thats owned one and used it regularly has the same trouble...they just seem to wear real quick, the metal seems a little too soft and of low quality...they're finished well enough none of mine were high and the ends were ok but just crappy materials. i have for a while been considering one of my guitars re-fretted with stainless steel frets like the parker fly guitars....should last a lifetime of abuse.
    the emg's should sound ok (which ones are you thinking of using? 81, 85?) if you like active pup's (i dont) its mainly down to personal (tonal) preferences just be sure theres room for all the extra bits in there or you'll have to do some routing for things like the batery holder and any ciruitry they may have.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

spend some extra money and go to a mid level guitar. you won't regret it. you get what you pay for.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    spend some extra money and go to a mid level guitar. you won't regret it. you get what you pay for.
    im talking about my high end guitars...lol
    just one less piece of maintainance that means the guitar stays with me when i need it and not at a luthiers

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

im talking about my high end guitars...lol
    just one less piece of maintainance that means the guitar stays with me when i need it and not at a luthiers
    go for the yamaha. im not a fan of any gibson except my firebird.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

go for the yamaha. im not a fan of any gibson except my firebird.
    mate its not my thread...lol
    im not considering a yamaha or an epiphone and i only own 1 gibson an old mIII which is the only gibson i ever liked playing even though it looks like an 80's hair metal mess...lol

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

mate its not my thread...lol
    im not considering a yamaha or an epiphone and i only own 1 gibson an old mIII which is the only gibson i ever liked playing even though it looks like an 80's hair metal mess...lol
    those are the best ones, the ones with character.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

those are the best ones, the ones with character.

its a really unusual guitar for gibson
    24 fret neck with reverse headstock
    hum single hum layout with 21 switching coil tapping options
    original floyd rose bridge
    and just a bizzare body shape...i'll take a pic of it later (i think theres one of me playing it at a gig in the "show us yer mugshot" thread
    its a solid rock it NEVER goes out of tune no matter what ive done to it, its been thrown, dropped and i've even stood on it a few times not to mention the exesive wammy abuse it gets...everything on it is original from the factory (exept the straplocks) and lasted very well...although its been semi retired from gigging and now only see's the studio

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

heres a pic of me with it.
    it was taken about 15yrs ago before i joined the army so please excuse the state of me...