Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Clueless Democrats Initially Discount Florida Primary, Now Want It Run...AGAIN

Ya know, my wishes for social change in this country are usually hamstrung by two key factors...

#1. I'm a Democrat
    #2. I'm a Floridian

This is has gone beyond ridiculous at this point...

Floridians Might Get A Second Vote
    With their party's nominee still undetermined, Democrats considered holding RE-VOTES in Florida and Michigan.

BY LESLEY CLARK AND BETH REINHARD
    Posted on Thu, Mar. 06, 2008

The resurgence of Hillary Clinton's campaign against Barack Obama could force replays of the Florida and Michigan primaries as pressure mounts to break the deadlock over the Democratic nomination.

Democratic members of Congress from both states huddled Wednesday evening on Capitol Hill and pledged to continue to seek a solution, while Florida party officials said they would survey both candidates' campaigns to gauge interest in a new vote that could produce tie-breaking delegates. Clinton won the Florida and Michigan primaries in January, but didn't earn delegates because the early votes broke national party rules.

More than a dozen states are scheduled to vote over the next three months, but neither candidate is within reach of the 2,025 delegates needed to sew up the nomination.

''We're looking at an election going all the way to Puerto Rico [June 7], and the pressure is going to come for the Florida and Michigan people to cut a deal,'' said U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings of Miramar, a Clinton supporter.

Indeed, one day after victories in Texas and Ohio emboldened Clinton to keep running, she left open the possibility of new votes in Florida and Michigan. She had previously argued that do-overs would disenfranchise voters and that the votes from the January primaries should be counted.

''I don't think a Democrat can turn his or her back on Florida, so yes, I think Michigan and Florida should count. How we get to them counting is really up to the people and the leadership of those two states,'' she said on NBC's Today show. (NOW They realize this? How about when the primary was held, in JANUARY? )

Obama didn't say one way or the other in an interview following Clinton.

''We have played by whatever the rules DNC put forward and we will continue to play by those rules, and whatever the rules are, we think we'll do well,'' he said.

Clinton's position reflected a retreat from her hard line stance that the Florida and Michigan primaries should count toward her delegate total, even though the candidates ceased campaigning in the states and Obama wasn't on the Michigan ballot. Two of Clinton's top surrogates -- former Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe and Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell -- floated the prospect of revotes before the results came in Tuesday.

''The pressure started to build at 1 a.m. last night, the second they called Texas for Clinton, and it's going to be relentless,'' said Florida House Democratic Leader Dan Gelber, who has proposed a mail-in vote. ``Now it's up to the party leadership to figure out how to make sure Florida's voice is heard and its delegates counted, and that could mean a new process.''

Adding to the pressure, Republican John McCain will make his Florida debut as the presumptive nominee Thursday, getting a head start in the nation's largest battleground state. At his side in West Palm Beach: popular Gov. Charlie Crist, who helped him win the primary and has vowed to stump on his behalf until November.

For his part, Crist issued a statement Wednesday with Michigan's Democratic governor, Jennifer Granholm, calling for both states' delegates to be seated at the party convention in August.

He did not offer an alternative, but said he spoke with Democratic U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson and agreed that ''the only way to consider the possibility of that is to have the Democratic National Committee pay'' for a new election.

''They've got to honor the people in Florida,'' Nelson told The Miami Herald Wednesday. ``And I think they realize that now, that they've got to, if they want to win the election in November.''

Pointing to the state's grim economic outlook, state legislative leaders, all Republicans, ruled out paying for another primary. The Jan. 29 vote, which also included other statewide and local issues, cost about $18 million.

''There is no money this year,'' said House Speaker Marco Rubio, the West Miami Republican who spearheaded the idea of moving up the primary date to increase the state's clout.

The DNC last summer offered to cover some of the cost of a small, party-run vote in place of the state-run primary, but Florida party leaders refused. In a statement Wednesday, DNC Chairman Howard Dean listed two options: schedule a revote or appeal to a party committee convening this summer to recognize the Jan. 29 vote.

Florida Democratic Chairwoman Karen Thurman said talks are continuing, adding that any plan must cover the costs, earn support from both candidates and guarantee the participation of all Democrats, including including military members overseas.

''It is very possible that no satisfactory alternative plan will emerge, in which case Florida Democrats will remain committed to seating the delegates allocated by the Jan. 29 primary,'' she said.

U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek of Miami, who supports Clinton, is against a revote, noting that more than 1.7 million Florida Democrats voted Jan. 29.

But Obama supporters noted that Clinton had agreed to the national party's rules that kept Florida's vote from counting.

A bonus if Florida holds another Democratic vote between May 1 and June 10: National party rules award 30 percent extra delegates to states that hold out to the end of the primary season.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/flor...ry/445789.html
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.18.12 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's really ironic in a way here in Michigan. Had they just left the process alone and not moved the Primary, we would be getting all the attention they wanted us to get. But when all this went down months ago, Senator Clinton had a 30ish point lead over Senator Obama. That's why all the other Democratic contenders took their names off the ballet in Michigan. It's stupid, because they can't redo the vote....the only thing they could really do is a caucus. Either way, I think it's starting to show the lack of vision and leadership from within the Democratic Party. They are f*ucking up their own Primary!!! What are they going to do if elected President?? They need to get their sh*t together if they are going to make a serious run at the White House.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Demo's in the White House for the next for years????

Doesn't the Aztec calendar say that the world comes to a end in Dec, 2012? There's hope yet.

HH<-------Demo Party and a food blender are the same things--------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

No offense Chef, but after 2000, I think Florida delegates should stand up at the DNC Convention and in unison yell "ABSTAIN!"

If a good portion of people can't figure out the voting card, I have a hard time believing they made an educated decision on who to vote for.

What a ****ing mess. Only in Florida (and Michigan )
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    No offense Chef, but after 2000, I think Florida delegates should stand up at the DNC Convention and in unison yell "ABSTAIN!" If a good portion of people can't figure out the voting card, I have a hard time believing they made an educated decision on who to vote for.
    No offense taken, as I hear you loud and clear. Yet... let's face it, the voting machines have been replaced for the third time in as many elections, and even this one has bugs. For instance Independents could vote (normally they couldn't in our primaries), which was new, yet they could only vote for Republicans or Democrats. Certain issues pertaining to local municipalities oddly did not appear in their respective precincts, ect.

The woes of voting in this state can not be expediently blamed entirely upon the electorate. It just pisses me off to be handed a sticker upon leaving the voting station that reads "My Vote Counted" embossed next to an American flag, when in fact the statement proves to be a lie.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

And don't forget, some parts of Vermont apparently are a little confused themselves.

HH<---Thinks John McCain is on vacation right now-----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Democrap.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Democratic party as a whole are starting to look like a bunch of monkey's try to screw a football.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

"Starting to"?

Hello, President McCain.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    The Democratic party as a whole are starting to look like a bunch of monkey's try to screw a football.
    That is funny as hell !!!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    No offense taken, as I hear you loud and clear. Yet... let's face it, the voting machines have been replaced for the third time in as many elections, and even this one has bugs. For instance Independents could vote (normally they couldn't in our primaries), which was new, yet they could only vote for Republicans or Democrats. Certain issues pertaining to local municipalities oddly did not appear in their respective precincts, ect.

The woes of voting in this state can not be expediently blamed entirely upon the electorate. It just pisses me off to be handed a sticker upon leaving the voting station that reads "My Vote Counted" embossed next to an American flag, when in fact the statement proves to be a lie.
    It's just funny that it doesn't seem like other states have this problem. Take Missouri for instance. I mean we always get some people here in the ghetto who are "disenfranchised" because they're too stupid to get a voting card or bring a valid state ID, and maybe we get a few dozen dead people voting democrat every election, but other than that, people seem pretty satisfied. It just doesn't seem like rocket science
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

It's just funny that it doesn't seem like other states have this problem. Take Missouri for instance. I mean we always get some people here in the ghetto who are "disenfranchised" because they're too stupid to get a voting card or bring a valid state ID, and maybe we get a few dozen dead people voting democrat every election, but other than that, people seem pretty satisfied. It just doesn't seem like rocket science
    Let me put it this way: There are several houses within two blocks of the post office (and four blocks of the police station) in my neighborhood that still have their Christmas lights up. The simplest notion, such as checking out at a grocery store and finding a competent cashier behind the register, is a near insurmountable task. There are still homes awaiting repairs from the hurricanes that swept past going on three years ago.

I'm not saying that all Floridians and their supposed leaders are complete nitwits, yet while visiting Charleston, South Carolina a few years ago, I thought that I'd landed on another planet. Courtesy, common sense and respect for another's dignity were three things I'd become so used to living without that upon encountering them I actually came down with a case of pleurisy. OK, that may not have been the cause, yet it did happen.

The thing is, the Democrats did not even campaign for our Primary, as the DNC decided not to honor the vote. Now these shitheads suddenly need the votes, so they wish to hold ANOTHER election. Why can't they use the results from the last one? Instead they mistreat folk, tell them their vote is absolutely meaningless, yet expect them to vote a SECOND TIME. Yeah, that ought to work out splendidly.

It's appallingly stupid and dreadfully misguided, as well as being narcissisticly arrogant. Yet most of all, it's God-damned disappointing.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03.06.08 at 09:33 AM.
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let me put it this way: There are several houses within two blocks of the post office (and four blocks of the police station) in my neighborhood that still have their Christmas lights up. The simplest notion, such as checking out at a grocery store and finding a competent cashier behind the register, is a near insurmountable task. There are still homes awaiting repairs from the hurricanes that swept past going on three years ago.

I'm not saying that all Floridians and their supposed leaders are complete nitwits, yet while visiting Charleston, South Carolina a few years ago, I thought that I'd landed on another planet. Courtesy, common sense and respect for another's dignity were three things I'd become so used to living without that upon encountering them I actually came down with a case of pleurisy. OK, that may not have been the cause, yet it did happen.

The thing is, the Democrats did not even campaign for our Primary, as the DNC decided not to honor the vote. Now these shitheads suddenly need the votes, so they wish to hold ANOTHER election. Why can't they use the results from the last one? Instead they mistreat folk, tell them their vote is absolutely meaningless, yet expect them to vote a SECOND TIME. Yeah, that ought to work out splendidly.

It's appallingly stupid and dreadfully misguided as well as being narcissisticly arrogant. Yet most of all, it's God-damned disappointing.
    It's that SC southern charm chef! Being born and raised a Carolina Girl I get really pissed here in crunchy liberal as hell Cville Va on a daily basis. (usually in the Whole Foods grocery store where anyone that's rude and is an asshole is required to shop and us normal decent nice people have to put up with their nastiness!)
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

What kills me about the Dem Party is this, last night Obama was up Hil's ass about her foreign policy stance, asking the question about her leaving the country 80 or so times last year to attend other countries and addressing the issues our and other countries share. He went on to say, "What has she done about foreign policy? She's been out of country 80 times and what has she done......?" Well, what in hell has Oboma done about it??? It seems they are quick to point fingers, without pointing fingers at themselves. I don't seem to recall Obama jet setting across to other countries addressing any issues, (not sayin that he hasn't, but what makes him an expert in foreign policies)?

The Dem's have had 8 years to get their shit together to make a run for the White House, and the party, esp with this campaign are showing that they are still not in a position to run the country. Hil and Obama are both loose cannons.

I can only imagine that John is sitting back, lighting a cigar and smiling.

HH<-----The Dem's are living up to their icon, ALL JACKASSES-------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

You just hit it on the head.. that's why I left South Florida for a saner part of the world. Sure, it's about to snow here (in March ), but I don't have to deal with some of the nitwits there anymore.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...