Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Harvard Complying With Muslim Students' Request

In response to a request by female Muslim students, Harvard University has created women-only workout hours at one of its campus gyms. The decision has angered some students at the Ivy League university.

Since Jan. 28, the Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center has been open only to women from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays.

The change was prompted by a request from the Harvard College Women's Center, which was approached by six female Muslim students, said Robert Mitchell, communications director of Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

"It was done for religious purposes, but it's not closed to other women who may want to participate," he said.

Ola Aljawhary, a student and a member of the Harvard Islamic Society, said the women-only gym is needed.

"These hours are necessary because there is a segment of the Harvard female population that is not found in gyms, not because they don't want to work out, but because for them working out in a co-ed gym is uncomfortable, awkward or problematic in some way," she told Boston University's Daily Free Press.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, in Washington D.C., said modesty may prevent some Muslim women from exercising in a co-ed environment.

"If the women are dressed in a manner that makes it more comfortable to exercise, they may not feel itís appropriate for them to be viewed by men in that particular attire," he said.

But the change has angered students like Nicholas Wells, a junior who called the change a "lose-lose" situation in an opinion article he wrote for the Harvard Crimson newspaper.

"It is an unreasonable policy that is unjust to men and useless to women," he wrote.

"Rather than a genuine attempt to provide comfortable workout hours for women and religious observers who might be uncomfortable working out around men, this policy beats around the bush by offering the least utilized and the most inconvenient hours and gym space," he said. "No one benefits from womenís only hours."

The Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center is one of three large recreational facilities on the Cambridge, Mass., campus, though most of the 12 residential houses also have workout facilities, Mitchell said. A large Harvard athletic center is also available for use on the Boston side of the St. Charles River.

Harvard has made many accommodations for students' religious needs, Mitchell said. Those include prayer areas for Hindu and Muslim students as well as the rescheduling of exams to accommodate religious holidays.

"This is just yet another of what we thought was a reasonable request for some special times because of religion, not because of gender," Mitchell said.

The women-only hours are being tested on a trial basis and will be evaluated at the end of the semester, he said.

Reports of the Harvard decision have sparked discussion in student publications across the country, including the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, where an athletics department spokesman said such a measure would be "hard to pull off" in the campus' primary gym.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Things like this BREED HATRED for minority groups. This doesn't help us coexist. Just assimilate and we won't have to deal with all this bullshit. A fucking waste of time.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Things like this BREED HATRED for minority groups. This doesn't help us coexist. Just assimilate and we won't have to deal with all this bullshit. A fucking waste of time.
    Exactly. Are they going to start a "nudes only" time because some people like to work out with no clothes on because of their "religion"? If you need something special, look at it as an opportunity to have a niche market and start your own workout facility.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I have no problem with tolerance, as long as it flows both ways. I don't see a problem with this gym giving some of its hours over to "women only" - it was a total of what - 6 hours spread out in 3 two hour chunks? In one facility out of three? Would you feel any different about it if it was battered or sexually assaulted women who wanted to be able to work out without men present?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In a way yes because everyone thinks they are special for one reason or another. What if they have Jews who do not want to work out with Muslims or visa versa or as you said, abused women who don't want to work out with men. This is a gym used by everyone on the campus and the hours they are setting aside are some of the busiest as the one person said. If you need something special, go some place special rather than change a very public facility, IMO.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

If State and/or Federal funds are involved, then religion should not be taken into consideration.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

American society continually giving way to Islam. Guess we better get used to it.

If they want to adhere to Islam that's great. Making a university restrict other students times to work out because they are "uncomfortable", well, imo that's Bullshit.

I just don't get it. Islam is an oppressive religion towards women. Can't show yourself in public etc. So they come to America (Freedom) and they want our society to make exceptions for them, thereby punishing others (non-muslims)

IMO, any religion, group, etc. that doesn't like to look at women is really fucked up.

Flame away

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I have no problem with tolerance, as long as it flows both ways. I don't see a problem with this gym giving some of its hours over to "women only" - it was a total of what - 6 hours spread out in 3 two hour chunks? In one facility out of three? Would you feel any different about it if it was battered or sexually assaulted women who wanted to be able to work out without men present?
    You can't be serious. People need to get over all this PC bullshit. Where does this shit end? I know your intentions are good in trying to take care of everyones inadequate, self conscious, fragile state of mind, but you will just start the snowball rolling and you'll never make everybody happy.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Big fucking deal.

When I was stationed at Fort Knox, we had a women's gym there. Why? Because plenty of women feel more comfortable working out when there aren't guys around watching them or hitting on them. Commercial women's gyms exist for the same reason (Curves).

Some of you want this to be a religious issue, but it's a sex issue. If a group of fat chicks (regardless of their religion) had approached the college to do this nobody would be talking about it. If this encourages more women to work out, I'm all for it.

People need to stop getting their undies in a twist about things that simply do not matter. We're a nation of fatties, and this is an opportunity to address that problem in a positive way.

Are all of you chubby-chasers? Is that why you're so upset?

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Big fucking deal.

When I was stationed at Fort Knox, we had a women's gym there. Why? Because plenty of women feel more comfortable working out when there aren't guys around watching them or hitting on them. Commercial women's gyms exist for the same reason (Curves).

Some of you want this to be a religious issue, but it's a sex issue. If a group of fat chicks (regardless of their religion) had approached the college to do this nobody would be talking about it. If this encourages more women to work out, I'm all for it.

People need to stop getting their undies in a twist about things that simply do not matter. We're a nation of fatties, and this is an opportunity to address that problem in a positive way.

Are all of you chubby-chasers? Is that why you're so upset?
    The problem is that they are changing something that already exists and works well for most people. Open a female only gym and the problem is solved. Don't change something for a select few when it already works for so many.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Open a female only gym and the problem is solved.
    Yep
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The problem is that they are changing something that already exists and works well for most people. Open a female only gym and the problem is solved. Don't change something for a select few when it already works for so many.
    Wow, what a great idea. You'd spend great sums of money to provide another gym, when a reasonable accommodation can be had for almost nothing.

Look, I'm all for being racist and xenophobic. A little hate wrapped inside a warm fuzzy blanket of principle is a great thing--at least when a person has the courage to admit what it is.

If a private school wants to do something that will encourage more of its students to work out, why are you all huffy about it?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If Harvard wants to play this game it's their headache.

I don't understand why they don't just section off or build a seperate gym. The issue now is what will happen if a group of white, republican males want special hours?

I say this only because in Harvard's case "Muslem Students" = Saudi, Qatari nationals who's parents have big $$$$ to throw around so I'm pretty sure the Dean's chin smells like a Camel saddle...if you catch my drift....
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Wow, what a great idea. You'd spend great sums of money to provide another gym, when a reasonable accommodation can be had for almost nothing.

Look, I'm all for being racist and xenophobic. A little hate wrapped inside a warm fuzzy blanket of principle is a great thing--at least when a person has the courage to admit what it is.

If a private school wants to do something that will encourage more of its students to work out, why are you all huffy about it?
    First of all, I don't really care what Harvard does. I was merely giving an opinion when you condescendingly injected the whole race and hate thing into it. In reading your posts, you seem to have a problem with making judgements about people with whom you know nothing about. Why don't you just try and get off the self rightous thing for a while and really try and listen with an open mind.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    If Harvard wants to play this game it's their headache.

I don't understand why they don't just section off or build a seperate gym. The issue now is what will happen if a group of white, republican males want special hours?

I say this only because in Harvard's case "Muslem Students" = Saudi, Qatari nationals who's parents have big $$$$ to throw around so I'm pretty sure the Dean's chin smells like a Camel saddle...if you catch my drift....
    Exactly my thought. Why is it that people have to make a big issue over something as mundane as working out. Either work out or don't. If you are too embarassed or it's against your religion to do it in front of males, buy a threadmill. You're going to Harvard for heaven's sake, slurge on a $400 piece of workout equipment and they even make them so they fold up and will fit under your bed. Or better yet, go to Curve's. It's a national chain located everywhere that's just for women. Wouldn't that be easier?