Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Building a Strat! First problem....

So my girlfriend went and bought me a strat body for my birthday. I've got all of the parts on order now, and am getting ready to assemble it.

Here's the first of what I'm sure will be the many problems I'll be running into... The neck I got on eBay has different neck screw spacing than the body. I figure it's no big deal, I'm just gonna go to home depot, get some appropriate sized wood dowels, and wood glue 'em in, right? Anyone think I'll have a problem with that method, or have better ideas?
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 03.01.08 at 08:02 AM.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm not a luthier. In a former life however, I framed metal and hung drywall. You are saying that you have essentially a hunk of wood with four holes in it, which you plan to fill and then drill four more holes into? Hey, that sounds terrific if you are making a paper-weight for your desk.

Yet this chunk of wood will have several pounds of pressure on it from guitar strings, not to mention continued stress from actual use.

Ever heard the phrase "measure twice, cut once"? In other words, why take half measures? Chuck the piece you have, and get the correct neck. Do not be in such a rush to finish the project that you compromise it's integrity. Doing the job correctly not only gives one pause for satisfaction, it also creates piece of mind not having to worry or possibly make adjustments in the future because of poor planning or execution in the construction.

Simply my take, others may differ.
    craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

did she get you an aftermarket body or what? Do you know what kind it is? There are really two reasons I can think of that the screw spacing is different:

1. The body/neck is from a Squier strat, which are really bad, in which case you should dump that piece.
    2. The body/neck you have is from a newer deluxe with a contoured heel which has one screw offset. This is a good piece, keep it.

Any chance you can give a little more info and maybe throw up a pic of the pieces?

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Two words:

Mighty Putty!

No, really it shouldn't be a problem if you dowell the holes use a good quality carpenter's glue.

Chefcraig's point is well taken, but the reality is when putting a project like this together, it's never going to be perfect. You will more than likely have to shim the neck to get the correct angle, where the ideal situation would be a perfect fit in the neck pocket for maximum wood to wood contact. You just can't order parts and get them to fit that perfectly, unless you get a kit specifically designed to fit together.

Anyway, just do the best you can with what you've got. Experiment with this one and learn some lessons on what and what not to do. You will make mistakes, and learn from them. Then, when you feel comfortable enough, order a kit from frankenstraat, and try your luck with that.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dowell the holes...
    It's a common practice and will work just fine.

Never "assume" that the holes drilled in any neck are just going to "magically" line up with any other body, even if it's the exact same make and model.
    Chances are, it's just not going to happen.
    Just make sure the neck fits the pocket and check the neck and body to make sure they are both the same scale.

Dowel your holes and makes sure the surface of the heel is completely flat.
    Then clamp the neck to the body and string up the 1st and 6th strings.
    Shift the neck into position and use these strings to help align the neck properly, then drill your pilot holes from the backside.

Then remove the neck, take it to your drill press and drill your holes nice and straight ... and please remember to mark your bit so you don't drill through your fretboard.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dino5150; 03.01.08 at 09:52 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

while i understand chef's comments that its always better to have a perfect fit first time, you should be ok with doweling it and re-drilling the correct spacing (just be sure the neck fits the pocket wit no sizable gaps on either side), i did this with my mongrel strat that i built from parts of several strats and a gibson and the only ajustmets i had to make afterwards was to shim the neck (a .75mm guitar pick did the job PERFECTLY) which many top name guitars have done at the factory, so its no bad thing.
    i have to say that the guitar i built is perhaps one of my favourte players and im fortunate enough to have some great guitars....from then on its a quite simple proccess to put together until you get to the wiring, which is simple enough if u know what you're doing but if not then theres plenty of people on here to ask.
    then its just a case of a good set-up again ask here or take it to a luthier (this is the point you'll discover the best shim size to go for)
    plus theres plenty of sites that cover most of this, one i used quite a bit when i started building guitars was http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm

hope this is of some help
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks guys! Dino, your post was especially helpful! I just doweled the holes. Looks like it'll be just fine. I'll be sure to post pics and specs when the guitar is done.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I'm not a luthier. In a former life however, I framed metal and hung drywall. You are saying that you have essentially a hunk of wood with four holes in it, which you plan to fill and then drill four more holes into? Hey, that sounds terrific if you are making a paper-weight for your desk.

Yet this chunk of wood will have several pounds of pressure on it from guitar strings, not to mention continued stress from actual use.

Ever heard the phrase "measure twice, cut once"? In other words, why take half measures? Chuck the piece you have, and get the correct neck. Do not be in such a rush to finish the project that you compromise it's integrity. Doing the job correctly not only gives one pause for satisfaction, it also creates piece of mind not having to worry or possibly make adjustments in the future because of poor planning or execution in the construction.

Simply my take, others may differ.
    craig

AS usual, Chef is dead wrong. I have doweled holes on a neck many times. It will work just fine. He can't seem to stay out of every single thread. Whether he knows dick( wanted to make sure I get my vulgarities in for Chef) about it or not. Carry on my wayward son!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    AS usual, Chef is dead wrong. I have doweled holes on a neck many times. It will work just fine. He can't seem to stay out of every single thread. Whether he knows dick( wanted to make sure I get my vulgarities in for Chef) about it or not. Carry on my wayward son!
    Uh-huh. Doing something properly (with the correct parts) in the first place is dead wrong. Thanks for the lesson. In the future I'll ask your permission where and when to post.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Gentlemen can you please keep your personal stuff out of this, take it private, whatever.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

I do have to agree with others, there is no issue with doweling the holes. I go to a great luthier who sets up stuff for huge bands and he's doweled body holes for me before, no issues at all. It shouldn't be a big deal, very common practice.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!