Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11,026
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Likes
    245
    Liked 595 Times in 365 Posts


    Donor

    Default NJ/NYC reliable custom guitar shops?

    For PVS...

    I'm trying to find out if there are any reliable custom guitar shops in the nj/nyc area (preferably nj) at which i can have a 5150 guitar assembled setup and painted properly? im using my 86/87 baretta and adding a custom neck.

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Contact Frankenstraat.

  3. #3
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    David Schwab
    Montclair NJ
    (973) 233-4979

    He does all my work and my bassplayers. Great setup and repair work. Resonable prices, especially for the NY/NJ area and he's very fast. He used to work for American Showster:

    http://www.vintagekramer.com/company45.htm

    I've never had him paint anything, but he can do just about anything (makes his own pickups, etc.) and he also has a partner. Even if they can't paint it, they probably can refer you to someone.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Contact Frankenstraat.
    Scratch that ...
    I just read that you needed someone to paint a 5150 paintjob and that would violate the copyright/trademark agreement.

    I'd suggest checking out his site for some awesome reference pics and information on how to do it yourself.
    www.frankenstraat.com

    There are plenty of talented guys over there that would be happy to help you out, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 02.28.08 at 11:07 AM.

  5. #5
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    11.04.07
    Posts
    8
    Last Online

    08.04.08 @ 08:05 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Scratch that ...
    I just read that you needed someone to paint a 5150 paintjob and that would violate the copyright/trademark agreement.
    well *ahem* what i actually meant was that i want to find someone who could hypothetically paint an accurate 5150...not that i would actually want that particular paintjob, of course.

    :edit:

    @Otis5150: thanks. i'll contact him soon and see if he can help (montclair is like 15 min from me so that would be awesome)

    @Dino5150: is he located around the ny metro area? (no address on the site). i specifically want to avoid dealing with shippers.
    Last edited by PVS; 02.28.08 at 12:36 PM.

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PVS View Post
    well *ahem* what i actually meant was that i want to find someone who could hypothetically paint an accurate 5150...not that i would actually want that particular paintjob, of course.

    :edit:

    @Otis5150: thanks. i'll contact him soon and see if he can help (montclair is like 15 min from me so that would be awesome)

    @Dino5150: is he located around the ny metro area? (no address on the site). i specifically want to avoid dealing with shippers.

    Here's the info. as shown found on his site (www.frankenstraat.com) ...

    James duffy
    118 Route 9 North
    PMB #130,
    Englishtown, NJ, 07726

    Sorry ... no phone #

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PVS View Post
    @Otis5150: thanks. i'll contact him soon and see if he can help (montclair is like 15 min from me so that would be awesome)
    .
    Really? Your profile says VA? David's a good guy. Quick story: when he was working for American Showster (the '57 Chevy tail-fin shaped guitars) he devloped a contact switch for the tremolo so that when you depressed it the tail-light would light up. The guy is like a mad scientist. He can build anything from scratch, if he can't buy it. He's done a lot of work for me and my bass player and it's always high-quality. Let me know how/if it works out.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  8. #8
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    10.19.03
    Age
    43
    Location
    Bryan, Ohio
    Posts
    120
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Here's the info. as shown found on his site (www.frankenstraat.com) ...

    James duffy
    118 Route 9 North
    PMB #130,
    Englishtown, NJ, 07726

    Sorry ... no phone #

    I'm crying bullshit on this one Dino. Check some of my other posts in the guitar forum to see how Mr. James Duffy has ignored and screwed me for about two years now. I have called him out on here time and time again with absolutely ZERO response. (he goes by JAMES IN NEW YORK or something similar).

    I note that you are into fixing guitars and building instruments yourself. If you think I'm full of shit on this one, I would be more than happy to send you the POS 5150 he way over charged me for and pay you to fix it. I'm getting really tired of having a way overpriced unplayable piece of wall art.

    And Dino, please don't interpret this as sarcasm or as deriding you in any way. I am dead serious about sending you the guitar to fix if you are willing to take it on.


    Feel free to contact me at rylizthomp@msn.com

    Here is my Daytime Contact Phone Number: (419) 636-7000


    Ryan S. Thompson

  9. #9
    Romeo Delight throb's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.10.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    87
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rs812 View Post
    I'm crying bullshit on this one Dino. Check some of my other posts in the guitar forum to see how Mr. James Duffy has ignored and screwed me for about two years now. I have called him out on here time and time again with absolutely ZERO response. (he goes by JAMES IN NEW YORK or something similar).

    I note that you are into fixing guitars and building instruments yourself. If you think I'm full of shit on this one, I would be more than happy to send you the POS 5150 he way over charged me for and pay you to fix it. I'm getting really tired of having a way overpriced unplayable piece of wall art.

    And Dino, please don't interpret this as sarcasm or as deriding you in any way. I am dead serious about sending you the guitar to fix if you are willing to take it on.


    Feel free to contact me at rylizthomp@msn.com

    Here is my Daytime Contact Phone Number: (419) 636-7000


    Ryan S. Thompson

    I agree wholeheartedly with you about James "Frankenstraat" Duffy. He has screwed many people on this forum and at eddievanhalen.com. Stay away from him. He's bad news!!!!!

  10. #10
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    10.19.03
    Age
    43
    Location
    Bryan, Ohio
    Posts
    120
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by throb View Post
    He has screwed many people on this forum and at eddievanhalen.com. Stay away from him. He's bad news!!!!!

    WOW! That's real surprising to me about the folks over at eddievanhalen.com. Everyone over there seemed to think he was the messiah.

    I have posted my personal contact info here time and time again with no response from him or his promoters. Even the other guitar builders who consistently recommend him won't contact me to investigate the pile of shit I received. He does post here under "JamesfromNY" or something similar and he does see these posts. I would love more than anything to post a glowing review of the spectacular customer service I received and to ultimately reach the conclusion that my guitar was an anomaly. To date, however, my experience has been that my guitar is representative of the majority of his work. When and if this situation is corrected I will gladly post a forthright review of the proceedings and ultimate outcome. More than two years since sending my money off to Mr. Duffy, however, I have yet to be acknowledged.

    Ryan S. Thompson
    rylizthomp@msn.com
    419-636-7000
    Last edited by rs812; 03.01.08 at 04:40 AM.

  11. #11
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rs812 View Post
    WOW! That's real surprising to me about the folks over at eddievanhalen.com. Everyone over there seemed to think he was the messiah.

    I have posted my personal contact info here time and time again with no response from him or his promoters. Even the other guitar builders who consistently recommend him won't contact me to investigate the pile of shit I received. He does post here under "JamesfromNY" or something similar and he does see these posts. I would love more than anything to post a glowing review of the spectacular customer service I received and to ultimately reach the conclusion that my guitar was an anomaly. To date, however, my experience has been that my guitar is representative of the majority of his work. When and if this situation is corrected I will gladly post a forthright review of the proceedings and ultimate outcome. More than two years since sending my money off to Mr. Duffy, however, I have yet to be acknowledged.

    Ryan S. Thompson
    rylizthomp@msn.com
    419-636-7000
    Ryan,
    Not to contradict you, but I've PM'd you with my email address and offered to repair whatever it was that was wrong ... and got no response.

    If you'd prefer to post complaints and not fix the guitar, that's cool.
    But please don't insinuate that I never offered to help.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 03.01.08 at 09:35 AM.

  12. #12
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    10.19.03
    Age
    43
    Location
    Bryan, Ohio
    Posts
    120
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Ryan,
    Not to contradict you, but I've PM'd you with my email address and offered to repair whatever it was that was wrong ... and got no response.

    If you'd prefer to post complaints and not fix the guitar, that's cool.
    But please don't insinuate that I never offered to help.
    Hi Dino

    Just got the PM. Check your e-mail.


    THANKS!!

  13. #13
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    03.01.08
    Posts
    43
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

    Amsterdam
    Last Online

    03.18.11 @ 07:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by throb View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with you about James "Frankenstraat" Duffy. He has screwed many people on this forum and at eddievanhalen.com. Stay away from him. He's bad news!!!!!
    It seems that many people are upset with this frankenstraat guy. I noticed the forums on his website are closed. Maybe too many negative posts? Just a guess. I've never dealt with him. I'll be interested to see if any of these people get their money back.

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levelhead View Post
    It seems that many people are upset with this frankenstraat guy. I noticed the forums on his website are closed. Maybe too many negative posts? Just a guess. I've never dealt with him. I'll be interested to see if any of these people get their money back.
    The Administrator for that website likes to shut down the site on occassion, then blames other sites and/or "gremlins" for hacking in and taking it down. Then he asks for more money, guitars, or whatever else to bring it back up and won't do it until he gets what he wants.
    Then when he brings the site back online, everybody praises him for all his "hard work".
    As a former moderator for that site, I can assure you, the fact that the site is down has nothing to do with "negative posts" or James Duffy's work.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 03.02.08 at 06:31 PM.

  15. #15
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    11.04.07
    Posts
    8
    Last Online

    08.04.08 @ 08:05 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    boy do i love intense debate :P hehe

    anyway, i chose another route as i came across a sweet 1984 reissue on ebay, paintjob included. i have to have the action lowered, and the tremelo is as low as it will go, so i'll give david shwab in monclair a call. thanks again for your help guys. sorry to hear that you got hosed on your guitar rs812. i'd be furious as well.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Guitar By Edd And Wolfie
    By Wolfgang_'99 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11.06.06, 04:59 PM
  2. Finally finalized my custom guitar! specs inside
    By Rockguitarstar in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.07.06, 11:19 PM
  3. check out my custom evh guitar.
    By Van_Halen_4_Life in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08.13.05, 08:03 AM
  4. Custom Shops ?
    By Lodewijk in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.13.05, 02:57 PM
  5. Your opinion on Wolfgang Custom Shop Guitar
    By PROJECT-5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11.13.02, 10:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •