"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:35 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Default Drummer Buddy Miles Dies At 60

from www.billboard.com:

February 27, 2008, 3:45 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Buddy Miles, who co-founded and played drums in Band Of Gypsys with Jimi Hendrix, passed away yesterday (Feb. 26) in Austin, Texas, at the age of 60. A cause of death has yet to be announced.

Miles was born Sept. 5, 1947, in Omaha, Neb., and was introduced to music at a young age by his father, who played in a band called the Bebops. As a young man he also played with Wilson Pickett, the Delfonics and the Ink Spots.

Miles met Hendrix in the early 1960s but didn't begin collaborating with him until 1969, when Hendrix produced an album by the Buddy Miles Express.

Miles, often decked out in sequined clothes and an enormous Afro, went on to drum on Hendrix's landmark "Electric Ladyland" album before officially joining Band Of Gypsys with bassist Billy Cox a few months later.

The group's lone self-titled album chronicled a New Year's Eve 1969/1970 concert at New York's Fillmore East, and is regarded by many as one of the best live albums of the era.

After Hendrix's death on Sept. 18, 1970, Miles contributed drums to a handful of posthumous Hendrix releases, including "Cry of Love" and "Crash Landing." He spent time in jail in the late 1970s and early 1980s on drug related charges, but returned to the spotlight in 1986 when he served as the voice for the hugely successful California Raisins claymation TV ads.

Miles and a studio band recorded a cover of Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" as part of the campaign, which became a minor radio hit in 1988.

In 2004, Miles and Cox revisited the Band Of Gypsys material for a live album, "The Band of Gypsys Return," which was released two years later.

Throughout his career, Miles played with such superstars as David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Carlos Santana, Barry White and George Clinton. According to his Web site, Miles' family is planning a tribute show with details to be announced.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Not another fellow in his early 60's. That's hardly inspiring.

I loved "Band Of Gypsies". I still believe it was a better band than the "Experience" when it came to being sympathetic to Hendrix' playing.

Play on, Buddy. That "You know they got a hell of a band" song gets truer each day.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

That cat could play.....RIP

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    That cat could play.....RIP
    Amen. RIP Buddy.

"It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece View Post
    Amen. RIP Buddy.
    There's a rather interesting story regarding that clip. If you notice, Hendrix performs while barely moving, minus his charismatic "showmanship". The reason for this being that Jimi had a rather heated conversation before the shows with the promoter, Bill Graham. Graham in addition to possessing a heftily inflated ego, had a heavy-handed approach to people to match. He believed that his opinions should be listened to, his words respected and if necessary, acted upon. This led to him dressing down Hendrix in front of the other "Gypsies", when Graham opined that Hendrix did not need all of the "shucking and jiving" he regularly used in a performance. Hendrix argued that he was entertaining people, while Graham maintained that it was unnecessary.

Embarrassed, Jimi Hendrix aquiesced to Bill Graham's demands, and performed standing stock-still...until it was time for the encore. He then walked back stage, abruptly found Graham and said words to the effect of "Did you like that? Now watch this motherfucker!" and went on to enact a full, no-holds barred and feedback drenched encore, complete with rolling on the floor, playing behind his back and his other outlandish routines.

Most of the album that was released features recordings made from this "standing-still" performance. Due to a recording conflict, the release came out on Capitol, not Hendrix's own label. The cover photo initially featured the Capitol logo above what appeared to be a supplicant Hendrix, a tactic Hendrix never got over.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 02.27.08 at 05:16 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RIP Buddy. (Damn, I need to get off the net before I find out some more of my heroes have left. I just found this out.)

Buddy, I loved your playing and I agree with Chef from above that pound for pound, the best stuff that Jimi put out was with you. Amazing all the way around. Thanks for the music. Say hello to Jimi for us. You will be missed.

I saw Buddy in the Duck Room in the fall of '99 at Blueberry Hill in the Delmar Loop in STL. Little room, maybe holds a couple hundred people. He played a long show. It was GREAT. His health was failing him even back then, but he played for almost 3 hours. Within his encore, he played Hey Joe and he played guitar (actually was pretty good). After the solo, he kind of started improvising the words a bit and started singing about where his brother had gone (meaning Jimi). Oh man, that made me cry like a baby.

Play on drummer.