Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Mixer Problem

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Mixer Problem

Alright so I've recorded all instrumental tracks for my album and when it came time to record vocals - I thought just my BR-600 multitrack wouldn't be enough, so I've decided to buy a mixer, and an AKG condenser mike in addition. So the sound is crystal clear, I love the equalizer controls on the mixer and everything.

The problem is this - I can't record just a vocal track while sending instrumental tracks to the headphones. As far as my home recording knowledge goes here's what I get -

A) I plug the speakers out of my laptop into mixer's CD in. I can hear intrumental track, I can hear myself singing BUT - my multitrack picks up both vocals and instumental tracks.

B) Same connection - but now there is this "CD/tape to CONTROL" button on the mixer, that if pressed does NOT send the instrumental track to the recorder, BUT - I can't hear myself singing in the headphones. It does send the vocals track though - no problems there, but not being able to hear your voice is a huge drawback.

Here's the link to the mixer's tech specifications - http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/8544

and here's my setup -

I guess it's a long shot, but I'm sure there is some way to solve this thing and I hopw someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 02.27.08 at 09:54 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I wish I could be more help, but I can say that I'm certain that there is a way to do it. Some knob or something hasn't been panned the right way, something like that. I'm not familiar with that particular setup.

Have you tried running the music into just a regular channel on the board instead of the CD in?

Also, where are your headphones plugged in, the mixer or the recorder?

Don't read this.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Yeah like Bullwinkle said, there simply has to be a button you have not pressed that allows you to hear the vocal as you record them. The pictures are frankly too blurred for me to see if the button next to any of the level knobs (the square one) could be the problem.

Sorry, Mish. If I had the damned thing in front of me I could probably figure it out.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I haven't tried plugging the computer channel into line-in's, but I assumed that it would act the same way is if any other instruments would be used - they'd add the sound to the mix which would also appear on the recorder.

And I plug my phones into the mixer's slot. If I use the recorder's output - they I either hear both instrumental track and vocals, or just vocals - so it's no better than what I hear thru the mixer.

Man I'm so lost on this !

Edited: here're clear pictures of the mixer, maybe that might help -

Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 02.27.08 at 10:57 AM.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Mish, you've got the headphones running out of the mixer. Try running them out of the recorder instead. I'm not kidding, it may be that simple.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Check you soundcard's settings. There should be a way to tell it to monitor what's coming out, but only record the particular channel you're singing into via the board.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Mish, you've got the headphones running out of the mixer. Try running them out of the recorder instead. I'm not kidding, it may be that simple.
    It's gotta be something simple, like Chef said. Like slap your head in disbelief simple. On my old school mixer/ machines there is always a "cue" button along with a dedicated volume control so you can hear where your'e at so to speak. Is that what the CD/Tape buttons are for? I'll try to find out from my buddy who is a wizard with this stuff I'm not as familiar with this unit, but queing can be confusing especially as more tracks are added. Looking at the pics again, I'm getting confused!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My buddy took a look at your post and he thinks that you have connected everything right by your description. Some of these mixers have stereo input ring connectors on the right channel. Is this the case on your mixer? Just a question, are you using multi ring connector cables, or single instrument mono cables between machines? Just wondering if your vocals are panned hard left or right it is not being picked up thru the whole signal path if a mono cable is in the ring connector jack. Might be a long shot, but I had a similar problem with my old Akai mixer.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ha, I know what you mean! I have had such issues before with 1/4",1/8" cables connecting computer (stereo) with solidstate amps (obviously mono) - so I made sure I got all right transformers this time.

My mixer and the recorder are connected with RCA cables - so that wasn't the problem. Thing is, I did eventually figure out where the problem was (sound signal from the laptop should have been sent to control room, not mix lol) - but about the next day I had my studio monitors delivered, with TWO CHANNEL IMPUTS! So I scrapped the computer/mixer bus and plugged the laptop straight into monitors, as well as all the signal chain from mixer/recorder. I have now two separate volume control knobs on the monitors which are easier to balance than running back to laptop's master fader coz you can't control CD/tape in on this mixer.

Thanks for the replies anyway!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Ha, I know what you mean! I have had such issues before with 1/4",1/8" cables connecting computer (stereo) with solidstate amps (obviously mono) - so I made sure I got all right transformers this time.

My mixer and the recorder are connected with RCA cables - so that wasn't the problem. Thing is, I did eventually figure out where the problem was (sound signal from the laptop should have been sent to control room, not mix lol) - but about the next day I had my studio monitors delivered, with TWO CHANNEL IMPUTS! So I scrapped the computer/mixer bus and plugged the laptop straight into monitors, as well as all the signal chain from mixer/recorder. I have now two separate volume control knobs on the monitors which are easier to balance than running back to laptop's master fader coz you can't control CD/tape in on this mixer.

Thanks for the replies anyway!
    Is this mixer geared toward DJ use?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Is this mixer geared toward DJ use?
    I doubt that - it certainly doesn't have an A/B fader (although I suppose you can always use stereo channel knobs to fade one tune into another). Why?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    I doubt that - it certainly doesn't have an A/B fader (although I suppose you can always use stereo channel knobs to fade one tune into another). Why?
    I was just curious due to the fact it did'nt have a clearly labeled cue buton. I had an older small "DJ" mixer similar to this that a tenant in my building gave to me when they moved and that's exactly what it had. Stereo volume sliders, but with an amp output mute function to help que up your next track. No A/B dedicated selector.Yours is way more advanced of course. All smaller mixers however seem to multi-function some of the components to pack as much in as possible for their size.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.09.09 @ 11:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

interesting how they placed the toggle switches for ptich and tone on the opposite side of each other along with all other sound adjustments horizontally