Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is Eddie's Hearing Going Bad?

Here is a quote from MelodicRock.com dated 2-26-08:

Quote Originally Posted by MelodicRock.com
    Now, the strongest rumor per what I have been told:
    - There are suggestions that Eddie is having health issues to do with his hearing and that is starting to impact on how well he is playing. He keeps making mistakes and forgets where he is in songs and that in turn has started to frustrate David Lee Roth. There is a lot of talk about a blow-up after one of the most recent shows, where Eddie lost patience again towards or at the end of the show. It was at this point it was decided to take a small break before re-examining things - hence the cancellations of a few current shows (but not all upcoming shows).
    DLR is very frustrated at this, Eddie is also frustrated, but I'm told there is still a desire to make things work.
    - There is also speculation and talk that Eddie is drinking again, due to his health frustrations, but that remains unconfirmed. As stated I'm still waiting to hear from my 2 best and most trusted sources...sorry it isn't more right now, but stay tuned.
    If this is true, it would certainly explain a lot. If you can't hear, you won't know what your playing sounds like. Listening to one of Eddie's recent solos would make me guess that this could very well be the issue. This would also explain Eddie being out-of-synch with the rest of the band half the time, and his problem not hearing that his guitar is out of key with the synth track on "Jump". Not to mention the constant problems Ed has had with not being able to hear his stage monitors (i.e. flipping them over in a seeming rage on several occasions).

With Ed's pride as a guitar god being in the way, it would also make sense that he might not want to admit to a hearing problem or publicize it. That would be like a champion race car driver having to admit that he cannot see the road anymore.

Let's hope that if this is the case, Eddie gets some professional attention for it. Hey, he finally broke down and got some new teeth. If Rush Limbaugh can get a new set of ear drums - surely Eddie Van Halen can.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, FW, 1984 W/Sam: Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Any CVH
    Last Online

05.01.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post

If this is true, it would certainly explain a lot. If you can't hear, you won't know what your playing sounds like. Listening to one of Eddie's recent solos would make me guess that this could very well be the issue. This would also explain Eddie being out-of-synch with the rest of the band half the time, and his problem not hearing that his guitar is out of key with the synth track on "Jump". Not to mention the constant problems Ed has had with not being able to hear his stage monitors (i.e. flipping them over in a seeming rage on several occasions).

With Ed's pride as a guitar god being in the way, it would also make sense that he might not want to admit to a hearing problem or publicize it. That would be like a champion race car driver having to admit that he cannot see the road anymore.

Let's hope that if this is the case, Eddie gets some professional attention for it. Hey, he finally broke down and got some new teeth. If Rush Limbaugh can get a new set of ear drums - surely Eddie Van Halen can.
    Well he has abused his ears to the extreme through the years. It's highly likely that his hearing is in bad shape, and it would be a terrible shame. How much affect that would have on his playing, we can only guess obviously. Things that make you go hmmmm....
    "...And then our children will form a family band, and we will tour the countryside and YOU WON'T BE INVITED!" ~ Ron Burgundy
    ---------------------------------------------------

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I think it's doing good. I'm not sure if he colors it or not but I'm glad it's short. He looks better than when it was long and scraggly.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess there is a real chance Ed's hearing is not good. Sam complained about how loud the shows where in '04 and Eddie's perfomances are off and on with a lot of attention given to the sound engineers. This may also be the reason Ed does almost no interviews anymore. Just speculation but Ed may be having trouble dealing with his hearing loss.

People say Ed has moved closerr to Alex because of vertigo when this could easily be a way for him to better feel the percussions.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post

It could also explain his "seemingly dizzy" episodes on stage as well. Hearing loss can cause you to have vertigo issues
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I had my suspicions about Ed's hearing way back when he moved his whole guitar setup over next to the drum kit. I wish I had posted them then, because now I could link back to it and say "I told you so".

The science of sound engineering for rock concerts is well-charted territory. There are thousands and thousands of sound technicians in the business around the world who know how to set up a stage so the musicians can hear themselves and the mix. I've never, never seen a large-scale concert where the guitarist was forced to jam his amps up full blast and stand right in front of the drum kit so he could hear what was going on. There's absolutely no reason for that other than, I guess, if the guitar player was mostly deaf and not willing to admit it.

By the way, if the guitarist's stage volume is so loud that it can be heard forty rows out into the audience, then that plays havoc with the rest of the mix for the house engineer. He usually has to add more guitar into the mix anyway so that it's distributed evenly around the arena, but then he also has to make sure the other instruments can be heard too. Especially the vocals. The result is--surprise--a very loud concert with a lousy sound mix and hard-to-hear vocals. Sound familiar?

Is this kind of problem enough to make Ed start drinking and/or using again? Of course. Then again, alcoholics and addicts will always find a reason to use. Good news, bad news, it doesn't matter. That's why we need help from some kind of support group and some kind of program of recovery. If it's just you against the drug, you will lose almost every time.

Reprinted from "Any Reason for the Cancellation?" with permission. Copyright 2008 Wassamatta University Press. All rights Reserved.

Don't read this.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I think it's doing good. I'm not sure if he colors it or not but I'm glad it's short. He looks better than when it was long and scraggly.
    So you DO have carnal knowledge of Ed after all....

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had my suspicions about Ed's hearing way back when he moved his whole guitar setup over next to the drum kit. I wish I had posted them then, because now I could link back to it and say "I told you so".
    I remember when you posted that. It's now beginning to make perfect sense.

While it may sound like a bad thing for Eddie's hearing to be going bad, it could end up being a mixed blessing. Even the worst hearing problems can be repaired with modern technology. If this is what has been affecting Eddie's playing for the past few years, I can only imagine how much better it would be if he gets it fixed!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way, if the guitarist's stage volume is so loud that it can be heard forty rows out into the audience, then that plays havoc with the rest of the mix for the house engineer. He usually has to add more guitar into the mix anyway so that it's distributed evenly around the arena, but then he also has to make sure the other instruments can be heard too. Especially the vocals. The result is--surprise--a very loud concert with a lousy sound mix and hard-to-hear vocals. Sound familiar?
    Sounds very familiar.

Is this kind of problem enough to make Ed start drinking and/or using again? Of course. Then again, alcoholics and addicts will always find a reason to use. Good news, bad news, it doesn't matter. That's why we need help from some kind of support group and some kind of program of recovery. If it's just you against the drug, you will lose almost every time.
    You got that right bro.

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

click

Boy does this make the light turn on or what....hearing issues would explain lot...like in 2004 Ed singing at the wrong time...and not singing the right thing ..along with the numerous guitar playing issues hes had on the last two tours...wow...
    Someone else mentioned Rush Limbaugh speaking about hearing loss...and that he got his ears fixed...this is true...but another point to be made is...Rush lost his hearing from being addicted to and taking too much oxy contin...maybe a similar problem for Ed? I know hes had to have been on some kind of pain killers with the major surgeries hes had..
    More fuel for the speculation fire....
    keVH

Favorite VH Album

I, II, FW, 1984 W/Sam: Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Any CVH
    Last Online

05.01.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevohman View Post
    Boy does this make the light turn on or what....hearing issues would explain lot...like in 2004 Ed singing at the wrong time...and not singing the right thing ..along with the numerous guitar playing issues hes had on the last two tours...wow...
    Someone else mentioned Rush Limbaugh speaking about hearing loss...and that he got his ears fixed...this is true...but another point to be made is...Rush lost his hearing from being addicted to and taking too much oxy contin...maybe a similar problem for Ed? I know hes had to have been on some kind of pain killers with the major surgeries hes had..
    More fuel for the speculation fire....
    Much more likely that the mountain of Marshall's turned up to 11 right behind him for his entire life have had an affect! So why even go there?
    "...And then our children will form a family band, and we will tour the countryside and YOU WON'T BE INVITED!" ~ Ron Burgundy
    ---------------------------------------------------

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of course his hearing is shot. Most musicians develop a problem over time if they don't protect their ears. After playing guitar for 24 years I've finally started wearing ear-plugs because I started to notice a difference in my hearing. Inner-ear monitors would help Ed but he doesn't seem to fond of them.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

On a related note, I just finished Eric Clapton's Autobiography and he mentioned in the final chapter that he has also destroyed his hearing and is essentially deaf at this point in his life. Despite this, he played and sounded great on his most recent world tour. Of course, having Doyle Bramhall and the amazing Derek Trucks in your line-up does wonders to help the overall sound. From the reviews I read, he played very well. He is playing a few shows with Steve Winwood and an all star band this week. First show was apparently fantastic.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Don't forget Pete Townsend. His tinnitus is so bad he can't take any loud noises at all.
    He uses sheets of clear plexiglass to isolate himself from the drums and other stage volume and plays through a tiny little monitor box at a volume you can practically talk over.
    The last time I saw The Who, I was afraid that this would make for a lame performance, but not so. They rocked the house!

Don't read this.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From an article in the Baltimore Sun:

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreSun.com
    A survey by the Ear Foundation projects that nearly half (49 percent) of the baby boomers are having difficulty with their hearing. More than half report difficulty using cell phones because of hearing loss while 75 percent say they find themselves in situations where people are not talking loudly enough or clearly enough.

Bill Clinton, Phil Collins, Bono, Eric Clapton and Cher are among the boomers who have experienced hearing loss.

"This is a generation that has grown up with very loud music and in a world with a lot of environmental noise like power mowers and leaf blowers," says Sharon Beamer, associate director for audiology professional practices of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. "But the biggest issue is music: Concerts, personal hearing systems like Sony Walkmen turned up very loud. ... Noise exposure is one of the most common causes of hearing loss."

Often avoided by previous generations as clunky, unsightly, difficult and stigmatizing, the new generation of hearing aids is becoming more acceptable - if not exactly desirable.

Attitudes are changing in part because of the design and advanced technology of these devices and in part because everyone seems to have a Bluetooth or an iPod hanging over, or out of, their ears, says Baltimore audiologist Deborah Doyle Allen.

There's also the incentive of finally being able to hear what the boss is saying at those two-hour meetings.

Allen, 54, uses one of the market's hippest new devices: The Delta by Oticon. She says her hearing loss stems from noise exposure - "machinery and going to concerts" - as well as a strong family history.

Being in the business, she began noticing her hearing loss earlier than most. About five years ago, she realized she was missing out on high frequency sounds and certain consonants.

"There are certain birds I can't hear any more," she says. "Also cicada and tree frog kind of sounds. In speech, it's more difficult to differentiate between words like "tape" and "take" and "cake." The hearing loss makes it more difficult to distinguish the speech attributes we need for understanding and intelligibility."

Half of the people older than 50 have trouble understanding speech in noisy listening situations, according to the Ear Foundation.

Allen wears a "champagne beige" Delta. The tiny triangle-shaped device, which sells from $1,500 to $3,000, comes in 17 different colors including cabernet red, samoa blue, mother of pearl and a leopard skin-pattern. And whenever she goes to a pop or rock concert, she slips in custom earplugs to help preserve her hearing.

To prevent accelerated hearing loss, she says, people should begin wearing hearing devices as soon as they become aware of a deficit. That helps preserve the brain's memory and recognition of the sound which is essential to what we consider "hearing."