Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has Eddie ever commented in print as to what his favourite Dave Era song is? I know his musical tastes were a little different between 77-84.

I would guess he would say something like Secrets or Cathedral.

As a side note to this, I met Eddie backstage during the III Tour for the "meet n' greet photo opp" shit, and I said to him these words...

"I want to hear 10 Fire in the Hole's on the next record", and he turned to me and said "Nah"...

I replied: "What are your favourites", he replied "Josephina & Once".

But I think I impressed upon him that "Fire in the Hole" was the only song us fans we're happy with off the VH3 record. He seemed to be taken aback. I hope his musical tastes go back to something more hardcore now that he has "Once" out of his system.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I seem to recall reading in Guitar World (me thinks) a few years ago that the song he was most proud of was "Jump". He reasoning was I believe that because it was such a big departure for the band at that juncture and many (including Dave) did not want to do it 'cause it was a keyboard song from a guitar hero. That indirectly answers your question (I think)

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think you are right that it is jump, that song was written 2 years before it was put on 1984.
    so if i'm right that means if it made it 2 years eariler it would have been put on fair warning? could be wrong.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

09.28.16 @ 04:29 AM
    Liked 188 Times in 107 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You know, if the singing and production was better, I would've loved Once. In fact, the video on the web site for the tune had much better singing than the CD, and I was diggin it.

I don't want these guys doing 10 Fires, or Panama's, or whatever. VH has never been about cookie cutter music. I used to look forward to Ed doing something a bit different with each new album of the Hagar era, as that's when I got into them. And, with a song here and there, he always did have something new and different. 5150 with the heavy keys on Dreams and Love Walks In, OU812 with Mine all Mine, Finish What Ya Started, and Feels So Good, then Right Now, and to an extent, Pleasure Dome, Don't Tell Me and Feeling were pretty different, as well as Not Enough, the first real slow ballad they'd done. Even Humans Being and MWM were different than what came before, although they have a very similar sound to each other. Yes, 3 was a bigger departure, but not THAT big. Not too many tunes on that album that I couldn't picture Sammy doing.

Since I came on this board, I've started spending some quality time in the car with the original 6 discs, and I was astounded by the diversity of tunes on them as well. If you want the same thing over and over again, go listen to AC/DC.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Ed preferred those tunes, especially Once. He obviously loves the piano, it was his first instrument, and it makes sense he'd want to head that way for something "new". And I personally thought Josephina was awesome in concert with just the two of them.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Shit, I just realized I went off topic above. Oops. I'd guess based on snippets I've read and the concerts I've gone to that it would probably be Unchained. I also remember he used to love getting everybody fired up by playing the Mean Street riff during his solo.

To give Gary a little bit of props, I was psyched when they did Mean Street on that tour. Yeah, I'd have prefered Dave doing it, but seeing 3/4 of the original is better than no original. The only other way I see that song is if a local band plays it, at least this way it's Ed playing.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with comments on the VH3 tunes. I have to admit that although that album completely pales in comparison to all other VH records, I don't think at a "core level" it's that bad a record. Everybody always cuts up the "songwriting" but I don't think that is THE problem that happened with this record. I think the songs are actually pretty killer. And believe it or not I have some "inside" info why this record got fucked up in it's vibe:

1. Alex was never there, he was going through a long-drawn out divorce at the time and basically mailed in his performance. Alex is a driving force behind the spirit of VH's music and without him things went sour. This was the only VH record Alex was absent for. He was a mess at the time.

2. The technological recording of the record was completely fucked up...unexcuseable in my opinion.

3. The backing vocal sound of Mike was completely absent. Enough Said.

4. Eddie tried to take over too many duties (for reasons I don't know about)and things got confused.

5. Gary's voice was not recorded the way it should of been. Gary IS an excellent singer. Just go out and but III sides and I 100% guarantee you will respect him. His voice could of sounded twice as good.

I think that if they recorded it again and maybe took out Eddie's solo song and replaced it with TWILY, the album would of created a completed different vibe to VH fans, and who knows, Gary would probably still be in Van Halen today. It's a funny thing how little details can change history in the long run!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

You know Subway, if true, that's interesting stuff. Not to turn this into a 3 thread, but did Ed play drums? There were 4 things about 3 that always jumped out at me, and that was:

1. The drums were never in synch/keeping up with the guitar, I always thought it was Al losing a step or two. Very obvious in Without You.

2. No Mikey on backing vocals (or bass, but that's not AS obvious)

3. Gary sounded very flat and toneless at times

4. Production very muddied and sloppy

I've heard and discussed 2-4 here, but never heard that about Al that could explain 1.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not saying Alex didn't actually play, he DID play, it's just that when the songs were being written and developed HE WASN"T THERE and Eddie or someone else would play. Eventually Al would get up to the studio and throw down a very simple "unthought out" drum part. If you notice, all the drumming on this record is very basic stuff, with a mild possible exception of "Ballet or the Bullet".

Trust me, this record could easily been way better then it turned out.

There were just a lot of bad decisions and mistakes made during it's recording.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

09.23.16 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 199 Posts

ed was asked what song vh did that he would put in a time capsule and he said jump.

but i think ed's favorite dave era vh song is unchained

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    ed was asked what song vh did that he would put in a time capsule and he said jump.

but i think ed's favorite dave era vh song is unchained

JMJ
    I think I remember reading an interview that his favorite solo was the solo for Unchained. He said "I still get chills, when I listen to that one sometimes" or something like that. I'm sure he also took a lot of pride in Jump. Because I remember him saying Dave and Al gave him shit for the keyboard part, and I've even seen a TV interview where Al said that too, but it turned out to be one of their biggest songs, so I'm sure he's got to be pretty proud of that one.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.07.16 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

....I thought it was secrets....guitar player interview
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 248 Times in 89 Posts

Donor

Time capsule was Jump. Song may have been unchained but I dont'know, but in guitar player, his favorite quoted solo was jump.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I read it was Unchained. This was during the 3 tour.
    Throughout the Hagar years he used to jam on that song in rehersal but Hagar refused to sing it. Dont get me wrong on the 93 tour it was played sparingly.
    Im sure Ed likes all of the classic Halen why would they have cranked it all out for the VHIII tour ?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Incredible Edible Dude:
    You know, if the singing and production was better, I would've loved Once. In fact, the video on the web site for the tune had much better singing than the CD, and I was diggin it.

I don't want these guys doing 10 Fires, or Panama's, or whatever. VH has never been about cookie cutter music. I used to look forward to Ed doing something a bit different with each new album of the Hagar era, as that's when I got into them. And, with a song here and there, he always did have something new and different. 5150 with the heavy keys on Dreams and Love Walks In, OU812 with Mine all Mine, Finish What Ya Started, and Feels So Good, then Right Now, and to an extent, Pleasure Dome, Don't Tell Me and Feeling were pretty different, as well as Not Enough, the first real slow ballad they'd done. Even Humans Being and MWM were different than what came before, although they have a very similar sound to each other. Yes, 3 was a bigger departure, but not THAT big. Not too many tunes on that album that I couldn't picture Sammy doing.

Since I came on this board, I've started spending some quality time in the car with the original 6 discs, and I was astounded by the diversity of tunes on them as well. If you want the same thing over and over again, go listen to AC/DC.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Ed preferred those tunes, especially Once. He obviously loves the piano, it was his first instrument, and it makes sense he'd want to head that way for something "new". And I personally thought Josephina was awesome in concert with just the two of them.
    I'll agree with you on ONCE, buddy. While I really don't like the singing (it's the singing that causes the song to go nowhere for me), I agree that the music is pretty creative, and musically it's a nice piece of work.

As for the first six albums, yeah. Keep cranking them. There are a lot of surprises. Some Sammy-era hardcores occasionally have the misconception that the six albums all sound like the debut album. But that simply isn't true. IN A SIMPLE RHYME, WOMEN IN LOVE, PUSH COMES TO SHOVE, EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!, SECRETS all have Edward presenting great innovation (and Dave too!). While I am a Dave-era fan first and foremost, I agree that Edward probably had more freedom to experiment during the Hagar years, and that can be very exciting. In fact, the only time I think experimentation slapped him in the face was VH3. The only Dave-era album that I think Eddie had license to completely experiment and explore completely new ground on was 1984, which just happens to be my favorite VH album of all time. It's just a 100% solid listen from beginning to end, with my favorite production sound and the best performances ever from everyone involved. The bass also sounds better on that album than on any other Dave-era album except maybe FAIR WARNING.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by subway:
    I'm not saying Alex didn't actually play, he DID play, it's just that when the songs were being written and developed HE WASN"T THERE and Eddie or someone else would play. Eventually Al would get up to the studio and throw down a very simple "unthought out" drum part. If you notice, all the drumming on this record is very basic stuff, with a mild possible exception of "Ballet or the Bullet".

Trust me, this record could easily been way better then it turned out.

There were just a lot of bad decisions and mistakes made during it's recording.
    I did read one Eddie interview where he did declare that a couple of the drum parts on the album were actually him playing. Also, you'll notice no Alex on ONCE. I bet if Alex were there, the song probably would have had a part by him on it.

And yes, Mike definitely is not doing all the bass parts. But I believe he's on WITHOUT YOU and BALLOT OR THE BULLET and maybe a few others. FIRE IN THE HOLE?
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR