Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Florida Loses Electricity, No Reason Known...

Florida Hit With Major Power Outages

MIAMI (CBS4) ―

Florida Power & Light is reporting massive power outages throughout South Florida, including Miami, Doral, Westchester, and Pembroke Pines. Reports of outages extended into Palm Beach, and across the state of Florida.

The outage hit shortly after 1 p.m., and at first appeared to be a local issue in South Florida. However, calls from across the state south of Orlando started complaining of power problems, and the scope of the problem quickly widened.

A Florida Power and Light spokesman told CBS4.com that that the utility is aware of the situation, but has no further information at this time.

The Miami-Dade Police Department said it is hearing that FPL is experiencing a massive transmission failure from Daytona Beach to Miami.

CNN reports some areas of Palm Beach county are without power.

The Florida Highway Patrol office in Doral, west of Miami, learned of the problem the way most people did, when the lights went out. Spokesman Lt. Pat Santangelo said the regional office does have telephone service, and troopers are still on patrol.

Santangelo warned that many traffic lights were darkened by the outage, and urged drivers to treat them as 4-way stops to prevent accidents.

Troopers were reporting widespread signal failures.

Miami-Dade Public Schools said schools have been locked-down, meaning children will be kept in their classrooms and parents will not be allowed to pick them up.

Some Broward County schools were without power, but a similar lockdown is not in effect there.

http://cbs4.com/local/FPL.power.elec....2.663084.html
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

chef, I find it somewhat suspicious that you still have power.

"Do you realize what you've done?!?!"
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    chef, I find it somewhat suspicious that you still have power.

"Do you realize what you've done?!?!"
    Just got it back. It's God's way of editing me I suppose, as I was in the midst of a rather lengthy and tedious posting when the power went down.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Florida Hit With Major Power Outages

MIAMI (CBS4) ―

Florida Power & Light is reporting massive power outages throughout South Florida, including Miami, Doral, Westchester, and Pembroke Pines. Reports of outages extended into Palm Beach, and across the state of Florida.

The outage hit shortly after 1 p.m., and at first appeared to be a local issue in South Florida. However, calls from across the state south of Orlando started complaining of power problems, and the scope of the problem quickly widened.

A Florida Power and Light spokesman told CBS4.com that that the utility is aware of the situation, but has no further information at this time.

The Miami-Dade Police Department said it is hearing that FPL is experiencing a massive transmission failure from Daytona Beach to Miami.

CNN reports some areas of Palm Beach county are without power.

The Florida Highway Patrol office in Doral, west of Miami, learned of the problem the way most people did, when the lights went out. Spokesman Lt. Pat Santangelo said the regional office does have telephone service, and troopers are still on patrol.

Santangelo warned that many traffic lights were darkened by the outage, and urged drivers to treat them as 4-way stops to prevent accidents.

Troopers were reporting widespread signal failures.

Miami-Dade Public Schools said schools have been locked-down, meaning children will be kept in their classrooms and parents will not be allowed to pick them up.

Some Broward County schools were without power, but a similar lockdown is not in effect there.

http://cbs4.com/local/FPL.power.elec....2.663084.html
    It was the bar fight between Ed and Wolfie.

Wolfie tripped on a random plug. And....well......I don't think I have to tell you what happened after that
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

That's alright, we lost phone service through at&t last week for 3 days with no explanation. That meant no phone orders, faxes or emails at my business.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I didn't do it.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

FPL Fla, Turkey Pt reactors shut due to power outage

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:24pm EST

NEW YORK, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Both 693-megawatt units of FPL Group Inc's Turkey Point power plant in Florida shut due to the loss of off-site power, a spokeswoman for the plant said Tuesday.

She could not comment on reports of widespread outages in the Miami area, noting only that the nuclear units lost power.

Officials at FPL were not immediately available for comment, and their Web site was not operating.

Officials at the Florida Public Service Commission said they had to look into the outages.

CNN reported that eight power plants in South Florida in the Miami area were out of service.

The 2,196 MW Turkey Point station is located in Florida City in Miami-Dade County, about 25 miles south of Miami.

There are several units at Turkey Point: the 398 MW oil/natural gas-fired Unit 1, the 400 MW oil/gas-fired Unit 2, two 693 MW nuclear units, 3 and 4, the 1,150 MW combined-cycle gas-fired Unit 5, and a handful of 2 MW and 3 MW oil-fired turbines.

One MW powers about 300 homes in Florida.

Unit 1 entered service in 1967, Unit 2 in 1968, Unit 3 in 1972, Unit 4 in 1973 and Unit 5 in 2007.

FPL, of Juno Beach, Florida, owns and operates more than 31,000 MW of generating capacity across the United States, markets energy commodities, and transmits and distributes electricity to more than 4.4 million customers in Florida. (Reporting by Scott DiSavino; Editing by John Picinich)
    http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?...35797520080226

Power Outages Reported in South Florida
    MIAMI (AP) ó Florida is experiencing widespread power outages Tuesday, with the state's largest electric company saying it has not determined a cause.

Miami-Dade County Emergency management coordinator Frank Reddish says the outages appear to be concentrated in the southeast portion of the state, including Miami. The outages began shortly after 1 p.m. EST.

A Florida Power & Light spokeswoman told The Miami Herald that the company is investigating the cause. FPL did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press.

Many stop lights are out and police officers are directing traffic at intersections in downtown Miami.

An official at the Miami International Airport says the facility is working on a generator backup but that no airline delays were reported.

A Miami-Dade Police Department spokeswoman tells WSVN-TV that they are working with FPL to assess the situation. It is unclear how many people are affected.
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...Xbz1QD8V26AC81
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

It's Florida. There's your reason. Some stupid hillbilly was probably wrasslin' an alligator or something and nicked the main line. Florida strikes me as a place where one line could be cut and the whole state would lose power. Why? The "Only in Florida Thread."

It's good to see chef hasn't lost the ability to surf the links and provide is with random pictures for punchlines.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

I still have it.(knocks on wood).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    I still have it.(knocks on wood).
    While knocking on said wood, Menlow knocked out power to his entire county. Way to go Menlow.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    While knocking on said wood, Menlow knocked out power to his entire county. Way to go Menlow.
    Apparently, it doesn't take much more than that today.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    Apparently, it doesn't take much more than that today.
    Seriously, every nitwit in my neighborhood was running their A/C today, as it truly is unseasonably hot. Wanna bet...
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Seriously, every nitwit in my neighborhood was running their A/C today, as it truly is unseasonably hot. Wanna bet...

Awww c'mon Chef, gimmie a break! The current temp at MIA is a whopping 84 with humidity at 46%! That's beautiful.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    Awww c'mon Chef, gimmie a break! The current temp at MIA is a whopping 84 with humidity at 46%! That's beautiful.
    You really need to live here to understand. To us, the outdoor life is the space between the air conditioned house and air conditioned car.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

You really need to live here to understand. To us, the outdoor life is the space between the air conditioned house and air conditioned car.
    Au contraire, I have lived there. Never looked back when I left. Spent 10 years between Melbourne and Ft. Myers.
    Been back a handful of times to visit some friends that haven't figured it all out yet. Once the kids are a little older we'll probably visit . Visit being the operative word.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.