WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ford Escape or Edge?

So, I'm in the market for a new car. We can get the A Plan from Ford, so that's where we look.

I used to have an Explorer Sport and loved that. I actually cried a little when I had to turn it in (lease). I'm such a girl. After that, I had a Taurus, which is a very nice, reliable car, but my MOM drives a Taurus, you know? Then baby #2 came along, and we got the Windstar. I do not have a soccer ball sticker on the back, but a VH sticker, thank you very much.

I have been in love with the Ford Escape since it came out. It just screams "Shari." I want one so badly. My SIL has one, as well as my MIL (which is just not a deterrent). They both like theirs.

My husband thinks the Escape is too small, and I should get an Edge. The Edge is nice-looking, but it's big - almost as big as the Windstar, and the gas mileage is no better. I really wanted to get a smaller car and not have to pay $65 to fill the gas tank.

Yesterday I did some online research on these two vehicles. I am SO sad to read of the issues with the Escape. Transmission problems, unexplainable stalling problems, weak A/C, the list goes on. However, it seems that people either love this car, or hate it. They either give it a 4 or a 5 out of 5, or a 1. It's wonderful, or it's a piece of junk. They either have these problems, or have never had a single issue in years and have no idea what these other people are talking about. This is not helpful to me. LOL

As far as the Edge, it was just introduced last year so there isn't a lot to go on as far as having long-term problems. The main complaint I've seen about it is the poor gas mileage.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to test-drive both of these vehicles. I have a list of things I want to check out on both.

We are not sure if we are going to buy or lease. However, I'm thinking a lease might be the better option for the Escape if it has issues. Then it would all be covered (tho a pain to keep taking back to the dealership) and I'd be done with it after the lease was over. If it was a good one and we didn't have all those problems, then maybe we could buy it after the lease is up.

Anyone have either of these vehicles? Better yet, anyone a mechanic who can tell me how good or bad they are? Anyone want to recommend another small SUV?

Thanks!
    Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

My wife was a Ford girl for many years. Probe, Mustang, Explorer Sport. All leases for 3 years each. Now she's a Jeep Grand Cherokee driver.

The Fords were always dependable. Good service plan for leases. If I had to choose, I would go with the Escape (spoken like Dora from Nemo) :-) We have a couple of Escapes at work. They're not bad on the inside as far as size goes. They're no Windstar, but roomy enough. (I've got 2 little ones and drive a PT Cruiser!)

You're right about people either hating them or loving them. Kinda like redhead girls in high school. They're either drop dead georgeous or crunch-berry beasts. But that's another converstation.

Anyway like you said, the Edge is too new. Don't take that risk and find out that something really big may be wrong with the vehicle. I took a chace back in '93 with the brand new Nissan Altima. First year for the model. I lucked out and got 93K out of her, but you read about some people that had nothing but problems. I always chalked that up to their buying lemons.

Good luck with the test drives. You will pick the right one!
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Not sure about the Escape, but my sister likes the Edge and they have been looking at them. One thing that they don't like is that for a vehicle that size, it gets horrible gas mileage, especially the AWD version.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I rented a Freestyle for a weekend one time, I think they call them the Taurus X now. It's a glorified wagon, but has enough SUV look that to me it worked. I liked it a lot driving it around, plenty of room, rode like a car, etc.

If I had to buy a Ford for the family, I'd look at an Explorer, Edge, and the Taurus X. Probably in that order. The Escape is just too small.

Last Online

04.14.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a Ford Taurus and it was the worst car ever! It was in the shop more than on the road. I bought a Toyota Camery 5 years ago and other than new tires and oil changes it has never been in the shop. I'll never buy a Ford again.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick View Post
    ...Anyone want to recommend another small SUV?

Thanks!
    Shari
    We're always driven Hondas. Currently an '01 CR-V & '04 Oddesey. They typically do cost more up front but the dependability & re-sale more than make up for that. IMO
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by im198451503 View Post
    I had a Ford Taurus and it was the worst car ever! It was in the shop more than on the road. I bought a Toyota Camery 5 years ago and other than new tires and oil changes it has never been in the shop. I'll never buy a Ford again.
    I'll bet you got the bad engine.

Ford had two different engines they used in the Taurus. One was a 3.O liter, and the other one is a 3.2, (I think).
    We have a Taurus with a 3.O, and it's got 120,000 miles on it and no problems. The other engine destroys transmissions every six months.

Handy tip for potential Ford customers: Check under the hood.

Anyway, I'd rather have a Camry, but I got a great deal on the Ford.

There's a Ford in the barn here, isn't there?

(This is my 999th post. I need to get a life.)

Don't read this.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

My girlfriend bought a Ford Edge SE back in Late October. I had been researching cars on various websites for months as I had anticipated a new purchase myself. She had driven a Jeep Cherokee Sport for about 5 and 1/2 years previous to the purchase and wanted another SUV or one of the now very popular CUV (Cross-Over utility vehicle). Anyway, she ended up test driving a Ford Escape and Edge. The Escape is just too small for her as well as all the crap we haul around from time to time. I have a co-worker who absolutely loves his. She test drove the Edge and loved it. It's quiet, has lots of power, excellent standard safety features (which most of the CUV's now have), is very stylish, and has very comfortable seats.

Her sister has owned a Nissan Murano for a few years now and drove the Edge this week for the first time while here visiting. Her Murano is a very sweet ride, but she commented that she really likes the Edge as it has more power and zip (probably because the Murano has a Continuously Variable Transmission that makes the zip a bit lacking.....but also gives it better gas mileage than the 3.5 Liter six speed Edge). There are a couple things I dislike about her Edge having driven it several times now. First, it can be hard to see out the back window for fairly tall people when backing up. Secondly, while it is very roomy in both the front and rear seating areas, it can be a pain in the ass getting into if your, again, fairly tall. However, despite these drawbacks, it's definitely worth test driving. As I mentioned, she has the bare bones SE with AWD. If you take a good at all the models (SEL, and for 2008, the SEL Limited, you'll note they have a great deal of sweet options available.

Lastly, I also researched was is now called the Tarus X. I even spoke with a few people who owned one. I heard nothing but great things about this car both at Edmunds.com (highly recommend this website) and from actual owners. Test drive this model as well since you're going to a Ford dealership anyway. By the way, Ford's reliability has improved greatly in the past few years. They won five different categories in the 2007 JD Power Associates car rankings. The most of any nameplate, including luxury automobiles like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. They are making in-roads, give Ford a look.....and good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I have had a few Ford pick ups. They are great trucks untill about 60,000 miles then they start to nickle and dime you.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

04.14.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bullwinkle;942140]I'll bet you got the bad engine.

Ford had two different engines they used in the Taurus. One was a 3.O liter, and the other one is a 3.2, (I think).
    We have a Taurus with a 3.O, and it's got 120,000 miles on it and no problems. The other engine destroys transmissions every six months.

QUOTE]

LOL, you are so right!!

I had the 3.0 and my transmission died 2 times! It cost around $2000.00 each. That was only the tip of the iceburg of it's problems. It was 4 years old when I bought it. It was my company's car they was always take care of the fleet cars. I knew the owner and he was good to the car, never drove it rough. Low mileage too.

Within the first year I had to replace so many things. The fan, shocks, starter, alternater, battery, door lock, brake cylinders, rad, window roll down motor, head gasket, a/c compressor, etc. The dealer did all the repairs. I even went to a few Ford dealers thinking they were breaking stuff so I would have to come back.

I took good care of that car and it did nothing but let me down. When the transmission died the second time I decided to get rid of it and buy a new Camry. I could afford a new car instead of all the repair bills. It was so stressfull never knowing if I would get to where I was going.

I hate ford and will never buy another one. I recommend the Japanese cars. They are well built!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

[QUOTE=im198451503;942282]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

QUOTE]

LOL, you are so right!!

I had the 3.0 and my transmission died 2 times! It cost around $2000.00 each. That was only the tip of the iceburg of it's problems. It was 4 years old when I bought it. It was my company's car they was always take care of the fleet cars. I knew the owner and he was good to the car, never drove it rough. Low mileage too.

Within the first year I had to replace so many things. The fan, shocks, starter, alternater, battery, door lock, brake cylinders, rad, window roll down motor, head gasket, a/c compressor, etc. The dealer did all the repairs. I even went to a few Ford dealers thinking they were breaking stuff so I would have to come back.

I took good care of that car and it did nothing but let me down. When the transmission died the second time I decided to get rid of it and buy a new Camry. I could afford a new car instead of all the repair bills. It was so stressfull never knowing if I would get to where I was going.

I hate ford and will never buy another one. I recommend the Japanese cars. They are well built!
    Most foreign cars cost an absolute fortune to repair. They last quite well generally speaking, but when they're broke, they are usually fucking broke.
    Your Taurus is obviously an exceptional case. Some particular individual cars are problematic right off of the assembly line. Example: people bitch and bitch and bitch about Dodge Neons, but I got 435,000kms out of my 1995, while only replacing a couple of head gaskets and basic maintenance. The thing still ran too, but the body was just so rusted I had to retire it.
    Anyways, I'll talk to my father about which vehicle to chose, he's the mechanic.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am not much of a Ford fan....but one day i was sittin' in traffic behind an Edge that was that so-purple-it's-almost-black color...and it didn't look too bad.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Anyway, I'd rather have a Camry, but I got a great deal on the Ford.

There's a Ford in the barn here, isn't there?

(This is my 999th post. I need to get a life.)
    I've got a 2000 model with 173,000. 3.0. One spring, and a headlight. That's it other that tires, brakes and oil change every 3000. Best car I've ever owned. Took it 1000 miles round trip during Thanksgiving.

If I were comparing an SUV to the Edge, I'd check out the Explorer over the Escape. It's more comperable in size and I own 5 of the third gens (2004 and up). We beat the hell out of them off road on a daily basis. They've held up nicely to our abuse and they're still nice on the road.

I had mine burried to the rocker panels in mud Wednesday, and I'll be taking it to Charlottesville tomorrow. So far they seem to be a nice versitile vehicle. Having said all that, my wife is dying for the Edge. I'm trying to get her to hold out unitl the old Taurus hits 200000.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I subscribe to Consumer Reports. According to them all fingers point to the Edge. That would be my pick of the two also. Good luck with your choice!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    That's it other that tires, brakes and oil change every 3000.
    Damn, your car goes through a lot of tires and brakes!!!!!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.