Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast
    Last Online

03.21.19 @ 05:43 AM
    Liked 9,545 Times in 5,163 Posts

Premium Member

Drivin’ N’ Cryin’: Rockers aren’t ready to rest on 33-year career

When it performs Saturday at The Spinning Jenny in Greer, the veteran Atlanta quartet Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ will be more than happy to play the hits.

You’ll hear the towering riff of “Fly Me Courageous,” the chugging rock-radio hit “Build A Fire,” and the immortal neo-country ballad “Straight To Hell,” along with all the other staples from the band’s 33-year career.

But bassist Tim Nielsen, who forms the nucleus of Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ alongside singer-songwriter-guitarist Kevn Kinney, is quick to add that the band isn’t a nostalgia act and, if he has anything to say about it, it never will be.

“It’s about keeping the story interesting,” Nielsen says. “It’s about keeping our fanbase engaged and having a reason to go on the road. It’s not just ‘we’re going on the road to play the hits.’ We’re going to play the hits, but the goal is to be promoting something.”

In this case, the band is promoting a new, limited-edition 45 rpm single containing a rerecording of its pile-driving rocker “Powerhouse” with “Livin’ By The Book’” on the B-side. But that’s just one of many projects the band has in the pipeline.

Members are finishing up a new collaborative album with Aaron Lee Tasjan, a fast-rising alt-country artist who was once Drivin’ N’ Cryin’s lead guitarist. The band recently reissued its cult-classic 1989 album “Mystery Road,” which is where “Straight To Hell” first appeared. There’s even a tentative plan to release Kinney’s 1990 solo album “MacDougal Blues” on vinyl for the first time. Perhaps most notably, after decades of being a band too country for rock radio and too rock for country radio, the band’s friend, Darius Rucker, took “Straight To Hell” into the mainstream country Top 40 (with some help from Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan on vocals) when he released it as a single from his 2017 album “When Was the Last Time.”

“It took a lot of cojones for Darius to be a black mainstream country singer in the South singing a song called ‘Straight To Hell’ and expecting it to get played on country radio,” Nielsen says with a laugh. “It was crazy for him to try to pull that off. But it’s going to help new people discover all of our other music, which is the bottom line.”

The flurry of activity is part of a five-year plan of releases and other projects that Nielsen and Kinney have undertaken since deciding to manage the band themselves, a move Nielsen says is one of the best decisions they’ve ever made.

“We make our career decisions together, and we’ve experienced a lot of great success over the past couple of years, both musically and as a business,” he says. “I think it’s partially because we’ve cut out all of the BS that these managers we’ve had in the past have tried. If we decide we want something, we go get it. We figured out how to get ‘Mystery Road’ rereleased. We’ve maintained strong relationships with guys like Darius, who has always been a fan, so he decided to cut ‘Straight To Hell’ and get it on mainstream country radio. The story keeps on going; we don’t want to be a band that rests on one or two hits from 25 years ago.”

And at the heart of it all is the relationship between Kinney and Nielsen, a friendship and partnership that’s lasted for nearly 40 years.

“It all started when I saw this guy pop up onstage at a club one night and play a couple of songs,” Nielsen says with a laugh. “I went up to him after he came offstage and said, ‘Who are you? That was really great! You sound like Ray Davies and you look like Johnny Ramone!’ He played me a cassette of his demos, and they were really great, and I suggested that we should do something. And for some reason, we’ve really just continued to click together.”

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/1...rR8SBLt-LFw2f4

Last Online

Premium Member

Last Online

Premium Member

SEE YOU ON THE ROAD!

DEC 28 FRI
    40 Watt Club
    Athens, GA, United States

DEC 29 SAT
    Hargray Capitol Theatre
    Macon, GA, United States

DEC 31 MON
    Buckhead Theatre
    Atlanta, GA, United States

JAN 11 FRI
    Tybee Post Theater
    Tybee Island, GA, United States

JAN 12 SAT
    Tybee Post Theater
    Tybee Island, GA, United States

JAN 19 SAT
    30A Songwriters Festival
    Miramar, FL, United States

JAN 20 SUN
    30A Songwriters Festival
    Miramar, FL, United States

FEB 9 SAT
    City Winery DC
    Washington, DC, United States

FEB 12 TUE
    Sellersville Theater
    Sellersville, PA, United States

FEB 13 WED
    The Crafthouse Stage & Grill
    Pittsburgh, PA, United States

FEB 14 THU
    The Broadberry
    Richmond, VA, United States

FEB 15 FRI
    Capone's
    Johnson City, TN, United States

FEB 16 SAT
    The Grey Eagle
    Asheville, NC, United States

MAR 2 SAT
    First Avenue
    Minneapolis, MN, United States

MAR 9 SAT
    Alzheimers Music Festival
    Tampa, FL, United States

Close... but no cigar!

Last Online

Premium Member

A hOLIDAY message from kevn kinney

Are you ready?
    To Rock!!
    Brothers and Sisters
    Welcome to the New Years Eve Rock n Roll Earthquake!!
    A 9.9 on the Rocket Scale!
    Drivin n Cryin and Dan Baird’s Homemade Sin?!!!
    Yep!
    Unbelievable wall of awesome....
    We will be playing something old something new something borrowed something blue ... as in honeysuckle !
    Our new record ,produced by Aaron Lee Tasjan is going to be an instant classic Drivin n Cryin recording ...
    Hear it here first !
    Live on stage at The Buckhead Theater
    Atlanta Georgia brought to you by Live Nation .
    December 31 2018
    Our New record features a variety of styles ,thoughts ,ideas ,memories ,Love and tomorrow’s.
    One of the feature tracks is a tribute to Ian Maclagan
    Featuring a cameo performance by non other than Dan Baird .
    Dan’s former rock n roll
    Cauldron the Georgia Sattelites featured Ian on more than one Album, so when I was writing it I immediately thought about Dan.
    Let’s talk about this Baird fellow !
    One of the nicest people we have ever met .
    The very first person to congratulate me when we first got signed.. took me out for Chinese on Buford Highway!
    Homemade Sin featured us on the bill in England a couple years ago for our first real tour in Great Britain .
    Yes. it took us thirty years and we lived and loved every minute .. the cook books at the truck stops are unbelievable.
    But Ladies and Gentlemen
    Boys and Girls
    this New Years Eve .....is the night where the gloves come off !
    A real Rock n Roll Battle Royale
    In this corner .. hailing from Nashville Tennessee ,
    Before the whole world heard about hot chicken and Americana .. the original guitar slinger Ring ding swinger .. original member of Jason and the Scorchers ... Warner Hodges!!!
    ( crowd goes wild )
    And in this corner , originally from the great country of Estonia and now hailing from East Nashville ...
    the unbelievably talented and enigmatic wonder of the thunder ... Laur Joamets!!!
    Crowd goes wild ..!
    I hope I have encouraged you to come join a bunch of my best friends in the entire universe throw a party you’ll never forget!
    I’m truly looking forward to it .
    I can not wait to show off the new songs and delight in watching y’all sing classics like Fly Me Courageous and Straight to Hell with me .
    Oooooo lady
    Won’t you take it easy!
    We are all looking forward to seeing you there !
    Live
    The Love
    Beautiful
    Kevn Kinney
    8:01 PM
    December 20
    Atlanta Georgia
    PS
    Sorry about all the exclamation marks ....
    but DANG IT ,
    I’m excited!!!
    And one side note ... concert tickets make phenomenal
    Holiday Gift ... FYI
    ( that means- for your information- my kids taught me that )

Last Online

Premium Member

Drivin N Cryin brings retrospective show to Tybee

Singer and songwriter Kevn Kinney looks back and looks ahead

SINCE the '80s, Drivin N Cryin has walked the line between criminally underrated and critically lauded. They’re a band that isn’t confined by genre, and often seem to musically do whatever they want. That sense of creative freedom has awarded them some commercial success over the years — particularly with their acclaimed 1989 album Mystery Road and the follow up Fly Me Courageous.

The band has experienced something of a resurgence in the last several years, thanks to a multi-generational following as well as some higher profile artists covering their songs. Songwriter and band leader Kevn Kinney formed the band in Atlanta in 1985, and continues to push the group ahead with a consistent output of new music. The band is prepping a new album for 2019, but is set to start the year off with a pair of shows at the Tybee Post Theater on Jan. 11 and 12.

Ahead of the sold-out shows, which Kinney says will be a unique and special career retrospective, we spoke to Kinney about the evolution of the band, his guitar heroes, and that Darius Rucker cover.

CS: When you started this band, was it a vehicle for anything you wanted to explore musically? Or did you say, “I’m going to do a straight up rock thing, or Southern rock thing, or folk thing,” etc.?

Kevn Kinney: It started off definitely not a southern rock thing. The southern rock part of Drivin N Cryin was kind of just a fluke. We had a song called "Honeysuckle Blue" which is really about New York City, and a radio station picked it up. It has a Skynyrd-esque kind of thing, but it's also part Television and part other things.

I’ve never owned a Lynyrd Skynyrd record. I’ve become friends with them when we play with them, and I really like them for totally different reasons than other people do. They had guitar cables and a limited light show. They didn’t have all this pizzazz.

Drivin N Cryin has always been, for me, whatever we want to do. We called ourselves more of a psychedelic band in the first few years. We were attempting to be a psychedelic band, but I didn’t want psychedelic-meaning-sitars. I wanted psychedelic meaning challenging - it messes with your preconceived notions of what you think this is. So Scarred But Smarter has a little bit of jazz on it, some Sabbath riffs, some Hendrix licks. It’s got that X and Ramones, and that almost pre-Nirvana thing.

CS: If you think about even the psych-rock bands of the ‘60s like 13th Floor Elevators, it was exactly what you said - just sort of challenging music for the time.

Kinney: And it was raw, and it was unexpected. Our thing was, let's have a rock song and actually put a poem in there. Which is what I learned from being a Patti Smith fan.

CS: Who were your heroes growing up as a guitar player? There is the Richard Lloyd/Television thing that happens with the guitar interplay, and the Ramones punk rock - you're playing Mosrites and that sort of thing. Were those guys your heroes growing up?

Kinney: Yeah. Johnny Ramone was definitely one of my heroes. I have three other guitar heroes. Robin Trower — and Robin Trower wouldn't be Robin Trower without Hendrix. Lenny Kaye from Patti Smith Group is one of my heroes. Johnny Ramone, I love Jimmy Page, I love Tony Iommi. All the riffs come from Tony Iommi.

CS: Those early Sabbath records are unreal.

Kinney: Unreal, and he's a little underappreciated. Pete Townshend, of course, with the jingle jangle. Duane Eddy and Glen Campbell for all those solos that I do, Link Wray, and then for the jangle and the counter melodies I'd say Peter Buck.

CS: R.E.M. is my favorite band of all time.

Kinney: I would love for some DJ to put together the intro licks to R.E.M. records and do a mix of it — maybe do "So. Central Rain" and then put it back in the middle, and then at the end construct a song with just Peter Buck's intro licks.

CS: So much of that stuff was not of its time. He's a rhythm player, but it's all hooks.

Kinney: I think that his intro licks are some of the best ever written.

CS: The last thing I want to ask about - I think everybody knows the "Straight to Hell" thing with Darius' cover. I'm curious if you ever thought a song like that would have a second life like it has in that context?

Kinney: It's a very courageous and bold thing for Darius to do. If the song was called, "Just Like My Mama Said," and if it wasn't so many straight-to-hell's in a row, it probably would be a hit on country radio. But I don't think that Starkville, Mississippi, is quite ready for that yet.

I thought it was fantastic that Darius did that. It took a lot of balls for him to do that. They even did the video, and he got every country star he knew to be on it. He fucking committed, and I was so proud of him for it. I sing it every night, so I know that there’s a lot of people who are kind of a little ashamed [laughs]. Because I know the Baptists out there, but it’s all good!

We don’t ask people to commit and we’re a heavy metal, hard rock, pop rock band. But country music is the last closed society of songwriting. It’s the last vestige of the Hollywood system. There were no independent filmmakers writing their own movies in 1940 and 1950. It was about finding the right screenwriter - everybody had their place. Everybody did was Universal said, or what MGM. That’s what you did.

Country music is the last part of that - it’s all about the Opry, getting inducted, who you are and who writes the songs. It’s fascinating. People are like, “We don’t need that anymore. We need to go back to old fashioned country and outlaw country.” Outlaw country is just fine the way it is.

The thing about “Straight to Hell” is that it doesn’t belong to me anymore. So many bands have played it, and I’m so honored that they’ve done it. Bob Schneider has done one of the most beautiful version. I love it because when I’m singing it I see my own movie in my head. I see my own living room as a kid, I see my mom and I see my sister, and it’s all real to me. I hope everybody else has their own version of that.

CS: The thing about Darius’ version that makes it so amazing is that he obviously has this huge platform, but at the end of the day it’s just a song that he loved in college and he just went to bat for it.

Kinney: Because he knows that it's not about going to hell. It's about your mom's preconceived idea that she doesn't want you to end up like her. She wants you to be in love and love the one that you pick. The song looks a lot more dangerous than it is. It's a love song, you know? I wish it would've been a bigger hit for him, because I know that he put a lot of effort into it. He was hoping that the people in country music would've embraced it and read the book not the cover.

CS: Thanks so much for taking the time to chat with me. I'm super excited for these shows.

Kinney: Well, they're going to be very unique Drivin N Cryin shows. It's kind of my homecoming. It was the first city I ever lived in Georgia. I lived there for a month.

When I moved from Milwaukee I moved to Tybee Island. It was the first time I ever knew that there was salt in the water, the first time I ever saw a palm tree.

A lot of my best friends live on Tybee, so that was a catalyst for this. They offered the show and so we turned it into a two-night thing. It’s going to be a career retrospective kind of show.

https://www.connectsavannah.com/sava...HdQf7NABZ_7G9o

Last Online

Premium Member

Last Online

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

03.20.19 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 22,018 Times in 12,552 Posts

Premium Member

Drivin' …

Cryin' …

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Last Online

Premium Member

get out now

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Last Online

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

03.21.19 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 2,548 Times in 1,180 Posts

Last Online

Premium Member

I'm hard!

Drivin N Cryin

· 31 mins ·

#soldoutshow #2 Tonight at Tybee Post Theater #photo by @brahdukes

Last Online

Premium Member

INTERVIEW WITH KEVN KINNEY OF DRIVIN N CRYIN

I had the chance to talk with founder and a 33-year member of Drivin N Cryin, Kevn Kinney. We talked about the band’s new and upcoming album, what’s on his current playlist and what Kevn likes to do when he gets home from traveling.

Started in the mid-’80s in Atlanta, GA Drivin N Cryin has been dubbed the band’s band. With never quite hitting the mainstream market the band still has a loyal and dedicated cult following filled with well known and inspiring musicians. They blazed the trail for the bands that don’t fit into a certain genre and being hard to market. The band loves to say that their music is for the misfits of society because the band is created from misfits.

>How do you think 2018 turned out for the band?

“Every year it gets a little better, we have a new guitar player his name is Laur Joamets.” and “we’ve been working together in Nashville on a new album that will come out in June”

> What can people expect from the new album, especially with a new guitar player in the mix?

“The title of the record is “Live To Love Beautiful” there’s a song on there called “Free ain’t Free” it’s sorta my favorite, its an anthem.” “It’s a story about a woman who’s all paid up, living in a neighborhood and her husband died. So she’s living in this house paying her taxes and the guy next door builds a house and then the whole neighborhood starts building houses and all of a sudden her taxes quadrupled and she has to move. Free ain’t free ya know?” “It’s an eclectic mix of Drivin N Cryin, just like all of our records. Just a little bit of everything, we have always created our own little universe and we’re still living in our own world….It sounds like that.”

>What are some memorable stories/gigs in NC?

“We use to play at Ziggy’s a lot, that was one of our favorite venues. I drove up there once to see the Ramones play there.” “Chapel Hill was also one of our favorite places to play back in the 80s.” “Mitch Easter is from Winston-Salem, he was big on the early R.E.M productions. A lot of great bands come out of NC too, like a band out of Charlotte called Fetchin Bones that we opened up for in the 80s.”

>How do you think you being from Milwaukee has affected the bands sound?

“Well, There are a couple of answers to that.” “Sometimes as a writer, it’s easier to write about something when you get away from it. When I was living there it was hard to write about my feelings growing up there because I was in it. When I moved down south I had this southern tinged filter over things and I saw it a little clearer or less clear.” “How I was lucky to get out.” “In the south, I saw things with a little different perspective, because things were slower here. One of our most famous songs Honeysuckle Blue sounds like a southern rock song but it was written about NYC and a homeless kid I saw on the streets. I felt like if I could take this kid and bring him down south he would have a different perspective as I did.”

>I watched an interview a while back and you said one of Drivin N Cryin goals was to sound like a mixtape, so what would be on a good mixtape for you?

“Well, I would have some rockabilly, and some bubblegum music, The Ramones, The Rolling Stones, Lightnin’ Hopkins, and Patti Smith. The Clash and The Cramps, Rock Pile, Elvis Costello, and Chuck Berry. The list could just go on but, my favorite playlist I have on my phone is called “VooDoo Bubblegum” It’s The Boxtops, The Archies, Ohio Express and then it has a lot of really weird psychedelic rockabilly stuff. There’s a bunch of stuff on there that I don’t even know the name of or who they are.” “I love all sorts of music and I’ve always made records that reflected that.” I also love “Call Me Maybe”, that’s on my playlist and “Feel It Still” my granddaughter also got me loving Ed Sheeran, that song “Supermarket Flowers” is one of my favorite songs.

>So, talking about more recent artist’s who are some of your favorites?

“Well, ya know Ed Sheeran, I’m influenced a lot by my friends. Elizabeth Cook, and Aaron Lee Tasjan, Jason Isbell and Sadler Vaden. All of my friends also have some pretty eclectic records out. Elizabeth, one of my favorites shes never afraid to take a chance. She’s my Rock n Roll sister.” “Aaron produced our new album and Elizabeth actually sings on it”

>The band toured all through 2018 and Y’all are gearing up to start touring this year. Any recent road stories?

“The cool thing with what we do, we’re kinda like journalists, we get to see a lot of the America we hear and see on the tv. We get to go through it and see it first hand.” “I’ll tell you something that was eye-opening. The hurricane that went through Florida, and came up from North Georgia while we were driving from Florida to Mobile, Alabama up to Macon, Georgia. We saw all that devastation in the Georgia part.” “It was stunning, there would be a driveway and at the end of it would be a huge pile of garbage bags and wood and that was the house. It was gone and the trees were gone and debris was everywhere.” “We have a song on the new record that’s called “Step by Step” and that’s what they had to do. People just had to do it bit by bit and step by step, one day at a time.”

>What do you do when you get home from touring?

“I like to write in the mornings I’ll sit down at the table and write a little but not very often. My passion is cooking, I love to cook, I love trying new recipes.” “That’s my hobby, what I like to do is try going to a farmers market and look for things I’ve never done before. Like, I made tamales a couple of weeks ago. I had never made tamales before and it was fantastic, I was so pleased. It looked just like a tamale and I was like, ‘Wow, I made this!”. “I collect cookbooks and see what not to do and see what to do and come up with my own thing. I don’t follow recipes too closely like a standard stock is celery, carrots, and onions but for me, I use jalapenos and onions, fennel.” “ After 30 years of traveling I’m so sick of ordering off a menu and the closest thing to making dinner is going to subway and picking out what they put on your sandwich.” “So, the first thing I do when I come home is go to the grocery store and grab a few things and put together a stock.”

>Why do you think “Straight To Hell” was such a success?

“First off the chorus is very catchy but, I also think it’s a love story and something we can all identify with” “We’ve all felt misunderstood and the song itself is misunderstood. People are screaming straight to hell like its a beer drinking song, but it’s not its a song about Romeo and Juliet if they grew up in the south.” “I think people can also add their own story to it. You can fill in a lot of the empty spaces.” But at the end, it’s always a sing-along song. I don’t really know why it’s such a success all I really know is when I don’t play it people get angry.”

https://imwiththeband.blog/2019/02/0...k6aVK1JlCP9f_E

Last Online

Premium Member

The Unpredictable Journey of Drivin N Cryin's Kevn Kinney

I feel like I'm in a good place. I'm still writing songs. I'm still being honest. I think they're good songs. We're looking for a label for this amazing record we just made. We're all feeling really positive about things. We haven't had a record deal before we've cut the record in over 20 years. We make them all ourselves and find someone to distribute them. We're pretty proud that we can still make a great record for a few thousand dollars.