Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default New Custom AT Mini Ash Strat!

I believe I have now reached "pumping them out" status with regard to my custom guitars. (And there are several more still in the works!)

Yesterday saw the completion of yet another custom guitar--a mini Strat! Don't be fooled by its size; this little demon is made of all top-notch materials and parts, and it screams just the same as a full-size axe.

There isn't much to describe that can't be seen in the accompanying photos. One of my favorite parts builders did a limited run of "mini" pieces, and I decided to build a guitar that could be specifically used for some of the capo writing I've been doing. This one is tuned one-and-a-half steps higher than standard tuning and features a 20" scale (approximately three-quarters the size of a normal guitar).

Again (again), Ted Vig from My Music Store filled his usual role of "finalizer" by seeing a few important aspects through on the mini Strat: He did the wiring, soldering, and filed the nut down for precise string height.

Pictures of this guitar in progress, along with my other guitar projects, can be found in the photos section of my MySpace page: www.myspace.com/andrewthomassolomusic.

The parts list and photos are below!

Musikraft Solid Ash Body--Translucent Sunburst Finish
    Musikraft Maple/Rosewood Neck--1 5/8" Tusq Nut, C-Shape Profile, 10" Radius, 6230 Thin Frets, White Pearloid Top Inlays, White Side Inlays, Oil/Wax Finish
    GFS Crunchy Pat High Output Humbucker Pickup w/ Chrome Pickup Ring
    Chrome String-Thru Hardtail Bridge
    500K Volume Potentiometer w/ Black Knob
    Black Plastic Control Cover
    Switchcraft Jack w/ Black Jack Plate
    Gotoh Mini Chrome Tuners
    Nickel String Ferrules
    Graph-Tech String Trees
    Chrome Neck Plate
    Chrome Strap Buttons

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great looking little guitar , Andrew !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Heh...KEWL little guit there, AT!

If you ever get around to doing a little Wolf, LET ME KNOW - I'd LOVE to have one...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love it!

Sounds like it's made from good quality parts too.
    I think I would have installed a Floyd though.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Very cool. Awesome job.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I've always wondered about these "Mini-Me" guitars...what does one do for strings? Simply use a regular set and cut off the ends with a pair of snips? Must one use a light gauge to avoid over-stressing the damned thing? Does some company actually manufacture strings for these things?

I'm fairly curious, as the various "turd-hunts" I had to engage in attempting to find strings for my short scaled bass have put me off odd length guitars forever.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I've always wondered about these "Mini-Me" guitars...what does one do for strings? Simply use a regular set and cut off the ends with a pair of snips? Must one use a light gauge to avoid over-stressing the damned thing? Does some company actually manufacture strings for these things?

I'm fairly curious, as the various "turd-hunts" I had to engage in attempting to find strings for my short scaled bass have put me off odd length guitars forever.
    Actually, depending on how you tune a shorter scale guitar, you most often want to use thicker strings to achieve correct string tension. The body and neck are made from the same materials as a full size guitar. (Maple is often used for guitar necks because it is so strong.) So there aren't really any issues with stress. I've set this mini Strat up for G standard (one-and-a-half steps higher than normal tuning). I strung it up with 10s and have still found the tension to be just a little "flappy," so I'll likely go with 11s from here on out. If I ever decide to set it up for standard tuning I'll use either a 13 or 14 set. That sounds crazy thick, but the tension will be about the same as a 9 or 10 set on a full scale guitar. The strings used are just normal guitar strings, there's just a few extra inches of slack to be cut off.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Actually, depending on how you tune a shorter scale guitar, you most often want to use thicker strings to achieve correct string tension. The body and neck are made from the same materials as a full size guitar. (Maple is often used for guitar necks because it is so strong.) So there aren't really any issues with stress. I've set this mini Strat up for G standard (one-and-a-half steps higher than normal tuning). I strung it up with 10s and have still found the tension to be just a little "flappy," so I'll likely go with 11s from here on out. If I ever decide to set it up for standard tuning I'll use either a 13 or 14 set. That sounds crazy thick, but the tension will be about the same as a 9 or 10 set on a full scale guitar. The strings used are just normal guitar strings, there's just a few extra inches of slack to be cut off.
    From a structural point of design, I find that astounding. And I do not doubt you in any manner Andrew, as you appear to know what the hell you are talking about.

I just imagine if I built a miniature piano, different issues would apply.

For instance, consider "reverse engineering" for a moment, and you may understand my doubts regarding the whole thing...

To set this into perspective, my friend's brother was an engineering student at M.I.T. There was a speculative thesis based upon designing a "balsa-wood" constructed bridge, with a "stress test" at the end to offer a grade. Being a group of dopes that built/designed/flew balta wood airplanes, we asked via the attending student if we could design a bridge out of the same material. We were granted admission to this test, although we knew we were being humored as a bunch of dope-addled nitwits.

Now out of a class of future M.I.T. grads, our half-witted, semi logical knowledge of balsa wood, watching it break and beer drinking gained us the following:

Our dumb, non-linear approach came in third.

I believe the same "dumb" engineering to be at work here. As such, the "guitar" will never be put to the same stresses as applied to a "normal" sized instrument. So in effect, one could actually use liquorice for guitar strings, for all of the practicality it would suit as a serviceable device, right?

Yeah, I know it's a novelty. Now get back to building worthwhile things.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i tried stringing mine up with 8's once....it was horrible, i may as well have used rubber bands instead, it wouldn't intonate properly (not even close).
    so now i use 12's or 13's and tune it to g and i can still "overbend" when im getting a little too involved...lol. they're great fun guitars to have around though.
    looks like you've done yet another great job there A.T. now there's no excuse to not play little guitars when you're bored. plus im glad you kept the finish sensible and stylish and not get dragged into gimmicks...mini guitars don't need them and quite often the playability suffers....fitting a floyd would have made it a dog.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

A Floyd definitely would have been more novelty than anything. I'm always chasing tuning stability first, so on something like this mini guitar it only made sense to go with a hard tail.

It usually takes me a week or two with each custom guitar to get the setup "just" right. But I'll be recording with this little sucker very soon.

Side Note #1: This is the first custom guitar I've used a Tusq nut for. All of my others were either Floyds or bone. Tusq is what's used on the stop tail Wolfies. We shall see if I like it as much as the bone nuts (no bad jokes, y'all).

Side Note #2: I tried yet another GFS pickup in this guitar--the Crunchy PAF. Like the previous two applications (Vintage 59s in the Thinline Strat and Fat Pats in the Blue Sparkle Strat), I'm really liking it. I think they do an excellent job describing the tones on the website, which in turn makes it easy to decide what might work best in each project.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

How much did it cost to build that thing? If I were ever to want a custom guitar, that's pretty much what I would want, except fullsize of course... Strat with a hardtail bridge, and a humbucker. I'd go with a black finish to make it as cheap as possible...
    Last edited by EJC; 02.21.08 at 10:22 AM.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A Floyd definitely would have been more novelty than anything...

True, but let's face it ... the guitar itself is quite a "novelty".
    I really can't see that guitar being anyone's "main axe", know what I mean?

Great job on the build though.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    How much did it cost to build that thing? If I were ever to want a custom guitar, that's pretty much what I would want, except fullsize of course... Strat with a hardtail bridge, and a humbucker. I'd go with a black finish to make it as cheap as possible...
    There are so many options for parts... You could build a similar guitar in look for $200, and you could build a similar guitar in look for $900. A full size black ash Musikraft body and maple/rosewood neck will run you about $400 (give or take). Figure in hardware and electronics prices from there.

I only bought the mini body and neck because I got them for a good deal (about $160 for both). So in the end, with absolutely everything, it ran me about $275.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    True, but let's face it ... the guitar itself is quite a "novelty".
    I really can't see that guitar being anyone's "main axe", know what I mean?

Great job on the build though.
    Just to spite you, Dino, I'm going to play this mini Strat as my main axe for the next year straight. Oh, yeah! I'm completely telling the truth! 100% truth... The Wolfgangs are all going into storage. Casing them up now...

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just to spite you, Dino, I'm going to play this mini Strat as my main axe for the next year straight. Oh, yeah! I'm completely telling the truth! 100% truth... The Wolfgangs are all going into storage. Casing them up now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06