CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Largest Beef Recall in U.S. History

By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer Mon Feb 18, 6:03 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - An undercover video showing crippled and sick animals being shoved with forklifts has led to the largest beef recall in the United States and a scramble to find out if any of the meat is still destined for school children's lunches.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday ordered the recall of 143 million pounds of beef from a Southern California slaughterhouse that is the subject of an animal-abuse investigation.

The recall will affect beef products dating to Feb. 1, 2006, that came from Chino-based Westland/Hallmark Meat Co., the federal agency said. The company provided meat to various federal programs.

Secretary of Agriculture Ed Schafer said his department has evidence that Westland did not routinely contact its veterinarian when cattle became non-ambulatory after passing inspection, violating health regulations.

"Because the cattle did not receive complete and proper inspection, Food Safety and Inspection Service has determined them to be unfit for human food and the company is conducting a recall," Schafer said in a statement.

A phone message left for Westland president Steve Mendell was not returned Sunday.

Agriculture officials said the massive recall surpasses a 1999 ban of 35 million pounds of ready-to-eat meats. No illnesses have been linked to the newly recalled meat, and officials said the health threat was likely small.

Officials estimate that about 37 million pounds of the recalled beef went to school programs, but they believe most of the meat probably has already been eaten.

"We don't know how much product is out there right now. We don't think there is a health hazard, but we do have to take this action," said Dr. Dick Raymond, USDA Undersecretary for Food Safety.

Federal officials suspended operations at Westland/Hallmark after an undercover video from the Humane Society of the United States surfaced showing crippled and sick animals being shoved with forklifts.

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/..._source=gaba89

Two former employees were charged Friday. Five felony counts of animal cruelty and three misdemeanors were filed against a pen manager. Three misdemeanor counts illegal movement of a non-ambulatory animal were filed against an employee who worked under that manager. Both were fired.

Authorities said the video showed workers kicking, shocking and otherwise abusing "downer" animals that were apparently too sick or injured to walk into the slaughterhouse. Some animals had water forced down their throats, San Bernardino County prosecutor Michael Ramos said.

No charges have been filed against Westland, but an investigation by federal authorities continues.

About 150 school districts around the nation have stopped using ground beef from Hallmark Meat Packing Co., which is associated with Westland. Two fast-food chains, Jack-In-the-Box and In-N-Out, said they would not use beef from Westland/Hallmark.

Most of the beef was sent to distribution centers in bulk packages. The USDA said it will work with distributors to determine how much meat remains.

Federal regulations call for keeping downed cattle out of the food supply because they may pose a higher risk of contamination from E. coli, salmonella or mad cow disease since they typically wallow in feces and their immune systems are often weak.

Upon learning about the recall, some legislators criticized the USDA, saying the federal agency should conduct more thorough inspections to ensure tainted beef doesn't get to the public.

"Today marks the largest beef recall in U.S. history, and it involves the national school lunch program and other federal food and nutrition programs," said U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin, chairman of the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry. "This begs the question: How much longer will we continue to test our luck with weak enforcement of federal food safety regulations?"

Advocacy groups also weighed in, noting the problems at Westland wouldn't have been revealed had it not been for animal right activists.

"On the one hand, I'm glad that the recall is taking place. On the other, it's somewhat disturbing, given that obviously much of this food has already been eaten," said Jean Halloran, director of food policy initiatives at Consumers Union. "It's really closing the barn door after the cows left."
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Dang, man. Shouldn't they know sick animals are not for eating.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Dang, man. Shouldn't they know sick animals are not for eating.
    no, they certainly aren't. they're for baseball mitts and belts!!!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

It's in my back yard.

Wonderful!:

(TULSA, Okla.) February 18 - Schools are scrambling to make sure they're not serving any recalled beef to students.

It's all part of the biggest meat recall in the United States. The Humane Society accuses the Hallmark/Westland Packing Company of California of abusing cattle.

FOX23 News found out schools in Muskogee, Bartlesville and Broken Arrow all had the meat, but are not serving it to students.

Beef from Hallmark/Westland has been on the Broken Arrow school menu for years. In fact, it was served just last week.
    Now the supply is part of an investigation and marked "do not issue."

In the disturbing video that sparked the recall, cattle are seen being pushed out of vehicles and prodded, all attempts, according to the USDA, to get the cattle up and legal to slaughter.

"As an industry we expect our cattle, when they leave our farms and ranches, to be handled appropriately and humanely. As an industry we are very disappointed in the way it was handled." Heather Buckmaster, executive director of the Oklahoma Beef Council, says it is illegal for a downed cow to be processed for human consumption.
    The video shows clear violations, but the meat made it onto plates all over the nation, including Broken Arrow school cafeterias.

"The meat that we have has arrived in two shipments. One in August and one in November." Broken Arrow schools spokesman Keith Isbell says the district has a total of 1,600 pounds of the meat. The USDA instructed schools to keep it away from students.

Buckmaster says the recall has more to do with broken protocol than your health.

The Muskogee and Bartlesville school districts also serve Hallmark/Westland products.

The Muskogee School District has pulled 328 pounds of meat and the Bartlesville school district has pulled 380 pounds.

School officials think the USDA will pick up the beef in the coming days.

The Oklahoma Department of Human Services reports that seven truckloads of ground beef have been received this year at facilities across the state.

Of that, 1,800 cases have been consumed but no sickness reported. DHS says it will work with officials to make sure the meat is destroyed.
    Last edited by Nostalgia Act; 02.18.08 at 07:36 PM. Reason: HIGHLIGHTED SHIT THAT PISSES ME OFF!!
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

One is better off is one doesn't think about what one's eating, unless one has the wherewithal to 100% produce one's own food!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

I wonder if they're going to try and blame it on one lone dumb cow that wandered on down from Alberta, again.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sisca View Post
    no, they certainly aren't. they're for baseball mitts and belts!!!
    Nice!
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eat more pussy.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    Eat more pussy.
    Mmmm...the only meat I eat
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey. We all like a hot pink center.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post

Buckmaster says the recall has more to do with broken protocol than your health.
    Isn't that a contradictory statement? The protocol is there so that contaminated meat does not get into the food chain and make people sick therefore, it is about your health.

There is such a small percentage of food which is inspected, it's scary to think about. The USDA is severally under funded and has too few inspectors to adequately check the meat and produce grown in this country, let alone the amount that is imported. They are also required to give advance notice that they will be inspecting a facility. How can you possibly catch someone doing something wrong if you tell them "Hey, we'll be there a week from Tuesday" unless they are complete morons. The Humane Society caught this company with undercover video. Why isn't the company responsible and punished for any of this? Great, they fired two employees. You mean to tell me NO ONE in management knew this was happening? It's always the rogue employees, never the company. BS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

I saw footage like that about 15 years ago, I would almost swear it was the same footage, but anyway after seeing it back then I gave up eating red meat. Of coarse I also gave it up for health reasons and have recently started eating again.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

From the article:

Officials estimate that about 37 million pounds of the recalled beef went to school programs, but they believe most of the meat probably has already been eaten.

That's a conversation I'd like to hear.

Scene: The, somewhat dingy, office of the Public Relations Division
    of the Westland/Hallmark Meat Company. The USDA Meat Inspector sits across the cluttered desk form the Westland Meat Company Rep.

USDA Inspector: Has any of the unsafe meat left the facility?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Well, yes. Some of it has...

USDA Inspector: Can you recall it?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Sure...except...well...no.

USDA Inspector: Why not?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Well...it's already been eaten.

USDA Inspector: Hmmm. How do you know?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Well, that shipment was part of our special "feed the children" program.

USDA Inspector: Uh huh. So the meat went to...

Westland Meat Company Rep: ...Schools.

USDA Inspector: So, you gave unsafe meat to school children?

Westland Meat Company Rep: No! Of course not! Except...well...yes.

USDA Inspector: (sigh) How much of the unsafe meat was eaten by school children?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Um...I have that figure here somewhere. Let's see...oh, here it is. It says 37...something...pounds.

USDA Inspector: So, thirty-seven pounds of unsafe meat was eaten by school children?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Yes...37...something...

USDA Inspector: What's the "something"? Can I see that piece of paper?

Westland Meat Company Rep: No, no. I can read it, it's just hard to make out....I think it says...um...(cough)yes..."million".

USDA Inspector: ...Million?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Yes. I'm pretty sure that's what it says.

USDA Inspector: You gave thirty-seven million pounds of unsafe meat to school children?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Well, yes. In a manner of speaking...

USDA Inspector: And you can't get it back?

Westland Meat Company Rep: Um...no.

USDA Inspector: Because they've already...

Westland Meat Company Rep: Eaten it.

USDA Inspector: ...eaten it.

Westland Meat Company Rep: Yes.

USDA Inspector: I'm six months away from retirement...

Westland Meat Company Rep: So, are there some forms I need to fill out?

CURTAIN

Don't read this.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

LMFAO!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

This reminds me of the rat's milk that made it to Bart's school on the Simpsons.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One