Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default Could have used some help today checking out a Wolfie

I was in a local guitar store today and for the first time in many years I saw a used Wolfie for sale on the wall. Unfortunately, I really didn't know what to look for in terms of how good this particular Wolfie was so I'm hoping some of you can help me out. It looked exactly like the one on top here. Same exact design and color. It had a price tag of $1,199 on it.

I thought the salesman said some things that didn't sound right. Ok, some of it sounded like all-out bullshit. First off, he told me it was the top of the line Wolfgang as indicated by Eddie's signature on the back. He showed me the sig on the back of the headstock and said, "that right there shows how unique this model is. It has his signature." I told him that the Wolfgang Specials have that as well and he insisted that they don't, only this particular line does. There were at least 4 times where he mentioned Eddie's signature as a sales pitch to me and he even pulled out a Vintage Guitars 2008 Price Guide to show me the details on this guitar. When looking at the Wolfie details in the book he commented, "hmmm....for some reason they don't mention Eddie's signature." Is there anything to this at all?

Then when explaining the pickups he said they were Dimarzio's and that "the beauty of this guitar is the incredible tone you get from the pickups because they're mounted right to the guitar. The secret to this guitars amazing sound is in those mounted pickups." He's wrong about the Dimarzios, right? And after reading the other thread I get the impression that mounting the pickups to the guitar really doesn't make much of a difference. He was harping on this as if it was THE key element to the guitar.

Also, does the price tag of $1,199 for a Wolfie Standard seem low to anyone else? I'm not too well versed in resale of Wofie's but don't the Standards usually command closer to $1,500 and up? He kept telling me this was a $2,400 guitar and that the $1,199 was a steal. The fingerboard showed significant use but overall the guitar looked pretty awesome to me.

Anyways, it would have been great to have one of you with me because I really wanted to get the skinny on this Wolfie and I don't think that guy knew what the hell he was talking about. Not that I'm in the market to drop over $1,200 on one but I really wanted to understand just how good this Wolf was and definitely could have used a little help.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In short ... the salesman didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
    If you're in the market for a Wolfgang, this is a great site for information on the different models and price ranges.

http://www.wolfgangregistry.com/

Good luck.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

DD:

I'm out the door right now, so I can't respond in full. $1,200 for a Wolfgang Standard is a good price (if it's in good shape and comes with original case, etc.). The sales guy, however, is full of shit. All Wolfgangs had EVH's branded signature. The pickups are not DiMarzio; they are made by Peavey. The direct mount shit is just a guy talking out of his ass (he must have been proud he knew the difference).

If it's an arch top, has both a tone and volume knob, has cream binding, and has a birdseye maple neck, then it's the Standard. If it has a flat top it's a Special.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

LOL the signature is on the back of all Wolfies, my '97 Pat Pending Standard has it.

Yes they are Peavey pickups wound to Ed's specs. They are NOT DiMarzios. And as we were just talking about yesterday, direct mounting doesn't change the sound hardly at all, if any. It's just for aesthetics more than anything else. That guy was 100% full of crap. They're direct-mounted because that's how Ed likes them, not because it makes any difference in sound.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually I think some the first Korean models did not have the sig. But yes all standards do.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The one in the picture you linked to,, , , some idot put pick up rings on ! I wouldn't buy that its damaged goods LOL!
    AT is right on allaccounts the guy selling to you doesn't know squat! $1199.00 is a good price if its all original, but I've found them cheaper on Harmony Central !
    Martin

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

An uninformed person at a guitar store? Hahahaha...go on, tell me another one!! Next you're going to tell me all the guitars had the E tuned down to D....I just can't believe it
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    An uninformed person at a guitar store? Hahahaha...go on, tell me another one!! Next you're going to tell me all the guitars had the E tuned down to D....I just can't believe it

What surprised me was that this was the owner of the place. He's a guy who has to be at least 60 years old and I would think he'd be much more informed, especially since he told me owns a Music Man.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Hey DD, trust me, just because somebody works at a guitar store doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about. In fact, just because somebody is an excellent guitar player doesn't mean they know what the hell they're talking about. The last person you should listen to is the guy trying to sell you a guitar.

There is alot of good information on just about any guitar on the internet. Most guitar brands have a forum. These are a wealth of information.

Your local 60 y.o. guy could probably tell you all you want to know about Fender, Gibson or PRS and be 100% accurate. He is, no doubt, trying to stay informed about a brand that he doesn't take particularly seriously judging by his age alone. He showed that he researched the Wolfgang just enough to demonstrat his ignorance about it. It's a fairly common phenomenon among older guitar retailers. Their anchor guitars for their stores are commonly the big guitar names, and they can't take Peavey seriously as a high end guitar.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Actually I think some the first Korean models did not have the sig. But yes all standards do.
    That's correct. The first run of the Korean models didn't have the sig. Mine doesn't. That means it's really rare and worth tons of money. Way more than those 1st year quilts.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    That's correct. The first run of the Korean models didn't have the sig. Mine doesn't. That means it's really rare and worth tons of money. Way more than those 1st year quilts.
    i'll buy it from you for a bag of peanuts and a half eaten twinky!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Only the very early Wolfgang Special EXPs lacked the signature--because the decals hadn't been made yet.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

The other thing as well is to look at the serial number on the back of the headstock... If the first two numbers are 91, then it's a US built guitar. If it's not, then it's a Korean piece of shit...

The salesman probably knows they have some profit or something to be puttin' on the hard sell on ya... If it a legit US guitar, offer him a thousand bucks out the door and then shut up... The first one to speak after that loses...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

[QUOTE=fast98dodge;941064]The other thing as well is to look at the serial number on the back of the headstock... If the first two numbers are 91, then it's a US built guitar. If it's not, then it's a Korean piece of shit...

Piece of shit is a little harsh. For a $500 guitar, I find the Korean Wolfgang to be just fine. I've had mine since '02 and have yet to have any problems. Actually most of the player reviews I've read on it over the years have been positive. But it's always seemed to get a bad rap on these boards.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

OK, I'll retract my statement based on the instrument's price point...

It's still Korean which pisses me off because Peavey used to be so proud of having anything with their name on it to be US built...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60