Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Distortion pedal for EVH sound?

Hello All,

Been a long, long time since I've posted. I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of an existing distortion pedal out on the market that could come close to replicating the early EVH sound. My rig is 2 fender all tube twins rigged together in stereo. Can't really come off the hip for a 5150. The guitars I play are a striped up Kramer 1984 and a homemade Frankenstein. I do also have the 2 MXR EVH stomp boxes. Any input is appreciated.
    Jim Bailes

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.09 @ 07:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtymovie View Post
    Hello All,

Been a long, long time since I've posted. I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of an existing distortion pedal out on the market that could come close to replicating the early EVH sound. My rig is 2 fender all tube twins rigged together in stereo. Can't really come off the hip for a 5150. The guitars I play are a striped up Kramer 1984 and a homemade Frankenstein. I do also have the 2 MXR EVH stomp boxes. Any input is appreciated.
    There is a great company called cmat mods that makes pedals. They have one called the Brownie that does a real convincing hotrod marshall type tone. I highly recommend this place. THe guy who owns it is named Chad. He was real helpful and friendly when I bought his "tube slammer" pedal which is sort of a modified tube screamer type of pedal.

Jason T

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brown Sound in a Box II

But I'm not a fan of transistor clipping. Ever consider modelling? The Vox Tonelab has an awesome VH setting

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i use a BOSS DS-1, nothing too out of the ordinary, but i can tweak my amp and pedal enough to get a damned good VH tone. but i also use it with a BOSS GE-7 Eq pedal.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotforteacher921 View Post
    i use a BOSS DS-1, nothing too out of the ordinary, but i can tweak my amp and pedal enough to get a damned good VH tone. but i also use it with a BOSS GE-7 Eq pedal.
    I use a Boss OS-2 Overdrive, EVH Phase 90, and a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor through a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. I play a Peavy Wolfgang, Fender Strat, and a Les Paul Studio. Believe it or not, the LP studio produces more of the "brown sound" than the wolf or strat. In a way, i guess i am like any other guitar player in the fact that although i "like" my sound i don't love it, and i have never been totally satisfied with it since i started playing 24 years ago. Actually i would love to recreate the guitar song of Kings X, any suggestions?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    In a way, i guess i am like any other guitar player in the fact that although i "like" my sound i don't love it, and i have never been totally satisfied with it since i started playing 24 years ago. Actually i would love to recreate the guitar song of Kings X, any suggestions?
    Tampa: Funny story for you here...

Ty Tabor of King's X has twice told me he's never liked his sound, but finally just came to accept it ten or twelve years ago. He is also just like every other guitar player who liked his sound but didn't love it! Crazy, though, because a lot of people have wanted to emulate what he's done--especially from the first few KX albums.

I've been able to talk with Ty numerous times and also just simply read about his gear. He does a lot of POD and modeling stuff now. In the past he used Strats or single coil guitars and a lot of solid state pre-amps. A lot of that old gear he's since sold on eBay. These days he's playing Yamaha AES 920 guitars through Randall high gain amps, and he's been into the high gain thing since the late-90s. I know I still really like his playing and tone, but his approach to getting both is completely ass-backwards of everything I do and like--even how he mikes stuff up in the studio. He makes it work, though.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtymovie View Post
    Hello All,

To be honest Ed's distortion doesn't come from pedals, it never has, even in the old days when his tone was a little cleaner (b4 Van Halen I), it all came from the amp and his fingers. The amp you are using is a real nice amp, but not the right sound for Ed, you might be able to get close with different pedals, I would just experiment and see what you like the best, every pedal sounds different with a different amp and guitar so whatever pedal suggestion I come up with will sound different with your particular rig. Good luck!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Carl Martin's "PlexiTone".

MI Audio's "Crunchbox".

Supposedly the best in the business. You're welcome.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

If you want a plexi marshall sound look no further than the ZVEX Box of Rock.

The Vexter edition goes for $199 and its the best damn distortion pedal on the market. Has a boost too.

When I use it with my Fender Blues Junior and my Maxon delay, MXR flanger and phaser...its almost identical.

Another pedal that is cheaper is the Kaden Brown Creeper pedal.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post

The Vexter edition goes for $199 and its the best damn distortion pedal on the market. Has a boost too.

When I use it with my Fender Blues Junior and my Maxon delay, MXR flanger and phaser...its almost identical.

Spectacular pedal. The best 'brown sound' pedal I've tried.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

EVH

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post

Oh man, i just listened to that Kaden. It sounds pretty freakin' close.
    I think I will go and get one. OH MOM!!!!
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While all of the pedals metioned in this post are great, I 'm just not a fan of getting my distortion from a pedal. To me distortion begins and ends with the amp. The beauty of Ed's Brown Sound was that it came from his fingers and his amp. In fact it's not even distortion it's just his tone, I mean it's his fingers and his amp. Pedals have a place in your sound when it comes to coloring but distortion, overdrive, tone or what ever you want to call it starts with the amp.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TopJoey View Post
    While all of the pedals metioned in this post are great, I 'm just not a fan of getting my distortion from a pedal. To me distortion begins and ends with the amp. The beauty of Ed's Brown Sound was that it came from his fingers and his amp. In fact it's not even distortion it's just his tone, I mean it's his fingers and his amp. Pedals have a place in your sound when it comes to coloring but distortion, overdrive, tone or what ever you want to call it starts with the amp.
    While I agree that amp distortion is the best, not many people can dime their amps, even at gigs. Hell, I used to have an 18 Watt TMB and it was very loud on 6-7. So for most people in practical situations, a pedal is the only way to get that creamy, cranked amp tone and not get arrested.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

EVH

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

right i'm gonna chime in with a slightly different solution that no one else has mentioned....being as you are using all valve amps, its worth considering a "booster" pedal to push your amp/valves to saturation at lower volumes
    something like the twinstomp pedal...
    www.twinstomp.com
    its hand wired in the u.k. and offers 2 boost levels the maximum being around 22.5dB and should not colour you tone to a great degree other than bringing that sweet spot down to more ear friendly levels.
    just my 2 cents...its worth a try.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gproud5150 View Post
    While I agree that amp distortion is the best, not many people can dime their amps, even at gigs. Hell, I used to have an 18 Watt TMB and it was very loud on 6-7. So for most people in practical situations, a pedal is the only way to get that creamy, cranked amp tone and not get arrested.
    Another option is to buy a variac and lower the voltage and boost your amps volume which is what Eddie did right?

However, you probably still cant go to the volumes that Eddie did/does so why not get a pedal to reach that tone?

The kaden pedal is really close with tons of saturation. It does lack some bottom to it.

The Zvex is also close with tons of bottom end but lacks a little on the saturation. That's why I use the boost with it also.

Enjoy