Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.28.02
    Age
    53
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    56
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

    08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Distortion pedal for EVH sound?

    Hello All,

    Been a long, long time since I've posted. I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of an existing distortion pedal out on the market that could come close to replicating the early EVH sound. My rig is 2 fender all tube twins rigged together in stereo. Can't really come off the hip for a 5150. The guitars I play are a striped up Kramer 1984 and a homemade Frankenstein. I do also have the 2 MXR EVH stomp boxes. Any input is appreciated.
    Jim Bailes

  2. #2
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    08.31.02
    Age
    35
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    58
    Last Online

    12.11.09 @ 07:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtymovie View Post
    Hello All,

    Been a long, long time since I've posted. I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of an existing distortion pedal out on the market that could come close to replicating the early EVH sound. My rig is 2 fender all tube twins rigged together in stereo. Can't really come off the hip for a 5150. The guitars I play are a striped up Kramer 1984 and a homemade Frankenstein. I do also have the 2 MXR EVH stomp boxes. Any input is appreciated.
    There is a great company called cmat mods that makes pedals. They have one called the Brownie that does a real convincing hotrod marshall type tone. I highly recommend this place. THe guy who owns it is named Chad. He was real helpful and friendly when I bought his "tube slammer" pedal which is sort of a modified tube screamer type of pedal.

    Jason T

  3. #3
    Hot For Teacher mike-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.04.07
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    263
    Last Online

    02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Brown Sound in a Box II

    But I'm not a fan of transistor clipping. Ever consider modelling? The Vox Tonelab has an awesome VH setting

  4. #4
    Eruption hotforteacher921's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.15.07
    Age
    25
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    798
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

    06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    i use a BOSS DS-1, nothing too out of the ordinary, but i can tweak my amp and pedal enough to get a damned good VH tone. but i also use it with a BOSS GE-7 Eq pedal.

  5. #5
    On Fire TAMPA VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.18.07
    Age
    51
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    331
    Favorite VH Album

    VH2
    Favorite VH Song

    OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

    09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotforteacher921 View Post
    i use a BOSS DS-1, nothing too out of the ordinary, but i can tweak my amp and pedal enough to get a damned good VH tone. but i also use it with a BOSS GE-7 Eq pedal.
    I use a Boss OS-2 Overdrive, EVH Phase 90, and a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor through a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. I play a Peavy Wolfgang, Fender Strat, and a Les Paul Studio. Believe it or not, the LP studio produces more of the "brown sound" than the wolf or strat. In a way, i guess i am like any other guitar player in the fact that although i "like" my sound i don't love it, and i have never been totally satisfied with it since i started playing 24 years ago. Actually i would love to recreate the guitar song of Kings X, any suggestions?

  6. #6
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    In a way, i guess i am like any other guitar player in the fact that although i "like" my sound i don't love it, and i have never been totally satisfied with it since i started playing 24 years ago. Actually i would love to recreate the guitar song of Kings X, any suggestions?
    Tampa: Funny story for you here...

    Ty Tabor of King's X has twice told me he's never liked his sound, but finally just came to accept it ten or twelve years ago. He is also just like every other guitar player who liked his sound but didn't love it! Crazy, though, because a lot of people have wanted to emulate what he's done--especially from the first few KX albums.

    I've been able to talk with Ty numerous times and also just simply read about his gear. He does a lot of POD and modeling stuff now. In the past he used Strats or single coil guitars and a lot of solid state pre-amps. A lot of that old gear he's since sold on eBay. These days he's playing Yamaha AES 920 guitars through Randall high gain amps, and he's been into the high gain thing since the late-90s. I know I still really like his playing and tone, but his approach to getting both is completely ass-backwards of everything I do and like--even how he mikes stuff up in the studio. He makes it work, though.

  7. #7
    5150 Edson's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.03
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    568
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

    11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtymovie View Post
    Hello All,

    Been a long, long time since I've posted. I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of an existing distortion pedal out on the market that could come close to replicating the early EVH sound. My rig is 2 fender all tube twins rigged together in stereo. Can't really come off the hip for a 5150. The guitars I play are a striped up Kramer 1984 and a homemade Frankenstein. I do also have the 2 MXR EVH stomp boxes. Any input is appreciated.
    To be honest Ed's distortion doesn't come from pedals, it never has, even in the old days when his tone was a little cleaner (b4 Van Halen I), it all came from the amp and his fingers. The amp you are using is a real nice amp, but not the right sound for Ed, you might be able to get close with different pedals, I would just experiment and see what you like the best, every pedal sounds different with a different amp and guitar so whatever pedal suggestion I come up with will sound different with your particular rig. Good luck!!

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,945
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Likes
    286
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Carl Martin's "PlexiTone".

    MI Audio's "Crunchbox".

    Supposedly the best in the business. You're welcome.

  9. #9
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    If you want a plexi marshall sound look no further than the ZVEX Box of Rock.

    The Vexter edition goes for $199 and its the best damn distortion pedal on the market. Has a boost too.

    When I use it with my Fender Blues Junior and my Maxon delay, MXR flanger and phaser...its almost identical.

    Another pedal that is cheaper is the Kaden Brown Creeper pedal.

  10. #10
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    07.25.04
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    If you want a plexi marshall sound look no further than the ZVEX Box of Rock.

    The Vexter edition goes for $199 and its the best damn distortion pedal on the market. Has a boost too.

    When I use it with my Fender Blues Junior and my Maxon delay, MXR flanger and phaser...its almost identical.

    Another pedal that is cheaper is the Kaden Brown Creeper pedal.
    Spectacular pedal. The best 'brown sound' pedal I've tried.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

    EVH

  11. #11
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    07.02.07
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    108
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

    A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

    07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    If you want a plexi marshall sound look no further than the ZVEX Box of Rock.

    The Vexter edition goes for $199 and its the best damn distortion pedal on the market. Has a boost too.

    When I use it with my Fender Blues Junior and my Maxon delay, MXR flanger and phaser...its almost identical.

    Another pedal that is cheaper is the Kaden Brown Creeper pedal.
    Oh man, i just listened to that Kaden. It sounds pretty freakin' close.
    I think I will go and get one. OH MOM!!!!
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

  12. #12
    Romeo Delight TopJoey's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.14.08
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    53
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

    06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    While all of the pedals metioned in this post are great, I 'm just not a fan of getting my distortion from a pedal. To me distortion begins and ends with the amp. The beauty of Ed's Brown Sound was that it came from his fingers and his amp. In fact it's not even distortion it's just his tone, I mean it's his fingers and his amp. Pedals have a place in your sound when it comes to coloring but distortion, overdrive, tone or what ever you want to call it starts with the amp.

  13. #13
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    07.25.04
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TopJoey View Post
    While all of the pedals metioned in this post are great, I 'm just not a fan of getting my distortion from a pedal. To me distortion begins and ends with the amp. The beauty of Ed's Brown Sound was that it came from his fingers and his amp. In fact it's not even distortion it's just his tone, I mean it's his fingers and his amp. Pedals have a place in your sound when it comes to coloring but distortion, overdrive, tone or what ever you want to call it starts with the amp.
    While I agree that amp distortion is the best, not many people can dime their amps, even at gigs. Hell, I used to have an 18 Watt TMB and it was very loud on 6-7. So for most people in practical situations, a pedal is the only way to get that creamy, cranked amp tone and not get arrested.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

    EVH

  14. #14
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    right i'm gonna chime in with a slightly different solution that no one else has mentioned....being as you are using all valve amps, its worth considering a "booster" pedal to push your amp/valves to saturation at lower volumes
    something like the twinstomp pedal...
    www.twinstomp.com
    its hand wired in the u.k. and offers 2 boost levels the maximum being around 22.5dB and should not colour you tone to a great degree other than bringing that sweet spot down to more ear friendly levels.
    just my 2 cents...its worth a try.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  15. #15
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gproud5150 View Post
    While I agree that amp distortion is the best, not many people can dime their amps, even at gigs. Hell, I used to have an 18 Watt TMB and it was very loud on 6-7. So for most people in practical situations, a pedal is the only way to get that creamy, cranked amp tone and not get arrested.
    Another option is to buy a variac and lower the voltage and boost your amps volume which is what Eddie did right?

    However, you probably still cant go to the volumes that Eddie did/does so why not get a pedal to reach that tone?

    The kaden pedal is really close with tons of saturation. It does lack some bottom to it.

    The Zvex is also close with tons of bottom end but lacks a little on the saturation. That's why I use the boost with it also.

    Enjoy

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tonebone Hot British tube distortion pedal
    By Edward Van Halen in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04.19.06, 05:53 PM
  2. What is the best tube-based distortion pedal?
    By BigDBoy in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01.05.03, 06:02 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06.06.02, 08:36 PM
  4. Distortion pedal
    By Edward Van Halen in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11.04.00, 09:49 AM
  5. Your Favorite Distortion Pedal????
    By ERUPTION PART II in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08.24.00, 10:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •