$3,350 "buy it now".

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I don't think it looks that good...

The only way it would be worth that kind of money is if it's serial number is under 1000 so it would be a first run...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've never understood the fascination with the first year quilts. They are few, yes. They are unique, yes. But they are production model Wolfgangs; there is no difference in construction from the flame top models that succeeded them. And most of them, though some might argue otherwise, are just plain ugly. We would never accept such a low grade of quilt maple on an expensive guitar we'd purchase new now, so why do we on the early Wolfgangs?

I'm not like some out there. I have no desire to own a first year quilt top Wolfgang. And I REALLY don't have any desire to pay the prices most of them go for.

I think custom shop models are a more logical choice for collectors and players alike. There were fewer of them made, and the ones that were made were built to an even higher quality standard. And each one is most definitely unlike all others.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    $2,400 starting bid (reserve not met)
    $3,350 "buy it now".
    yeah and i bet he's set the reserve at something like 3,340!
    seriously if it sells for that then i'll eat my dog!

(ok maybe not MY dog but the neighbours have a nasty little fucker that i dont mind getting rid of!)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    yeah and i bet he's set the reserve at something like 3,340!
    seriously if it sells for that then i'll eat my dog!
    Be careful what you say.

I ate my words along with some barbeque sauce when Rat's purple Wolf sold for $3,100.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Be careful what you say.

I ate my words along with some barbeque sauce when Rat's purple Wolf sold for $3,100.
    here boy!!!.....gulp!!!!

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Be careful what you say.

That was a crazy price. I am happy for Rat though. If I were going to spend 3K I would spend it on a Custom Shop. You could get a Koa Wolfgang for less then that someone spent on that production Wolfgang.
    \m/ VH \m/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

It's funny because up until like 4 or 5 years ago, I had no idea a quilt was rare... What is also funny is the purple one the guy at wolfggangguitars has listed as the first production one he knows of like serial number 580 I could've bought brand new but I didn't because it was purple...

All I know is I love my guitar no matter if it's a quilt or not... It just feels like an extension of myself...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've never understood the fascination with the first year quilts.

I was never a big fan of the first year quilts and never understood why people wanted them either. I would have never paid what most people ask, based on how ugly most of them are. I bought one the other day only cause it was a pretty good price and cause it was one of the first 150 made. I also bought it with the intentions on reselling it. Well, I should have never played it because now it will probably have to be pried from my hands! OMG!! The sound quality, feel and even the neck on this guitar seems to blow my other WG's away! I am not sure if they were building them different or its just aged to perfection, but there's a definite difference! I read an article that Eddie played his for years for the same noted reasons. I now understand why!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dance The Night Away View Post
    I am happy for Rat though.

X2

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I was never a big fan of the first year quilts and never understood why people wanted them either. I would have never paid what most people ask, based on how ugly most of them are. I bought one the other day only cause it was a pretty good price and cause it was one of the first 150 made. I also bought it with the intentions on reselling it. Well, I should have never played it because now it will probably have to be pried from my hands! OMG!! The sound quality, feel and even the neck on this guitar seems to blow my other WG's away! I am not sure if they were building them different or its just aged to perfection, but there's a definite difference! I read an article that Eddie played his for years for the same noted reasons. I now understand why!!

X2

what people don't understand is that the first year quilts are rare for more reason than the quilt. almost all of them were put together and set up in house at Peaveys home base in Meridian by the better techs. many were set up by Steve Smith who is Peaveys main guitar tech to this day. same goes for the pat pend white and black wolfs from the first run. the quality control was better and a lot of the guitars were made with choice wood and necks even though the quilts are for the most part not that dramatic. i know Andrew has a lot of experience with wolfs and has an opinion on this which i respect. i also know there are plenty of gorgeous and really good ones from every year of production. i have a few of those too, but, i have 5 first year quilts and have played atleast 100 wolfs over the years, and i can tell you that those first year guitars are better than the vast majority of wolfs. they just feel different, broken-in like almost. remember, when those were being made, many of each color run were intended for and went to EVH himself. this i know for fact. i have 2 that were originally sent to his house for approval before going to a place here in hollywood that used to be called Johnny Guitar, which was the main Peavey dealer at the time, and still had his address on the packing boxes. same goes for the first run of specials.
    Last edited by tommytom11; 02.16.08 at 10:45 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I do agree the first year quilts met a consistent level of quality--and in that sense there's peace of mind with buying one. I've never played a first year quilt that didn't completely encompass the tone and quality intended from the Wolfgang. In fact, I think all of the early run (Patent Pending) Wolfs were made to very high standards. (I have yet to find otherwise.) My two best players, however, were made late in the run: 2003 and 2004, respectively. Perhaps both were "luck of the draw," but I've never played any other Wolf I like better than either of those two.

Just for the record, I'm not ever ripping on anyone here for owning or wanting to own a first year quilt Wolfgang. I don't question the quality at all (except for the tops, of course). I just wouldn't spend the kind of money they go for now for something I've already got in a few of my production run Wolfies.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is something really special about the first year quilts, and i cant put my finger on what it is !! . I was lucky enough to get one in each colour, and an extra amber one. They really feel, play, and sound better than any of the other wolfies that i own (IMOP), including a custom shop model !!! If you ever get the chance , go for a first year quilt, and you shall feel the differance !!

Here is a pic of them !

Doug

You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dg5150 View Post
    There is something really special about the first year quilts, and i cant put my finger on what it is !! . I was lucky enough to get one in each colour, and an extra amber one. They really feel, play, and sound better than any of the other wolfies that i own (IMOP), including a custom shop model !!! If you ever get the chance , go for a first year quilt, and you shall feel the differance !!

Here is a pic of them !

Doug

doug mate i'm jelous mate. they're some of the nicest quilts i've seen on wolfs anywhere ad that burst is very sexy indeed.

but....did you notice your dog was dead!!!