Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to Church with kids - advice?

How do you get kids to sit through a church service? We haven't attended very often because our 15 mo. old is pretty active and doesn't sit for too long. Any advice? Are we bad parents for not going even though we feel that the crying and constant moving is a distraction to other church-goers? Does utilizing the church nursery make it worse when we want her to attend services with us or should we wait until she's older and can understand? For the first 3 months, our child had no problems making it through a service because she slept most of the time, but once she became more active and vocal we stopped going, much to the dismay of some family members, but it stresses us out so we don't get much out of the service.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Id say your a good parent for NOT taking them to church, LOL, kidding

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

That's what the church nursery is for. You can always keep her with you for the first part of the service, then once she gets restless, take her to the nursery.

At the church we've most recently attended, the kids go to their own service right after a brief kids sermon. It works out pretty well.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanRoth07 View Post
    Id say your a good parent for NOT taking them to church, LOL, kidding
    At times, I think that at least to the one we attend(ed)

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mojavebassman View Post
    At times, I think that at least to the one we attend(ed)
    what kind of church is it? I used to go to non denominational churches, charismatic churchs, It was ok for a while, but now i dont think i could go to church at all, im so liberal now days

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

My family and friends have tried this method to help teach their children "how to act" in church (i.e. teaching them that it's NOT OK to run around up and down the aisle and through the pews or scream like it is at McDonald's): They take their child to the church service, so the child can learn what it's about but then take their child to the nursery right before the sermon. This is respectful to others so they are not distracted by the child and it's also fair to the child. As an early childhood educator of 12yrs., I know that it is NOT possible for a 15mo. old to sit quiety through an hour-long (or even 30min) service. If you're able to force it, you're just making your child and yourself miserable. I always reminded parents to think about how squirmy they get after about 45min. of sitting in a meeting, church service, etc. Now, think about what it must be like for kids. Their attention span is only a few minutes at that age and unless you can pack your entire nursery into a diaper bag to have a million different distractions and things to do, your baby is not physically going to be able to handle an entire service. I do think it's important, however, if you ARE church-goers to help teach your child what a church service is about and how to behave but you have to do it gradually over time. You can't expect a 15mo. old to grasp that yet.

A lot of churches now offer more contemporary or "family" oriented services. My sister attends a service where they actually have tables in the back for families with young children so the children can color, etc. It's a casual, laid back atmosphere. Maybe your church offers something like that?
    Meet me in Cabo!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Unless you're sitting in the back which is usually reserved for parents with children, there probably isn't anything you can do.

When ours were old enough for nursery, my wife would volunteer to be a helper. She was able to watch closed circuit T.V. of the service while watching babies with 3 or 4 other women. Plus she would be given the CD or tape of the service afterward if she liked.

No, you're not bad parents for putting them in nursery. You will have more anxiety than them, trust me on that! But after doing it for a couple weeks you begin really start enjoying the service and plus you'll realize that your kids actually had some fun there.

It is very thoughtful to take other people around you into consideration if you always have to get up, etc. It's just practical, that's all.

I’ve also seen the really protective parents (excessive) that would never put them in nursery. The moment the first cry came out, it was over, they would almost go home. But I can say after having numerous children and having to put them in nurseries, just gut it out and they’ll grow up just fine. Can’t shelter them forever, do it early while their memory isn’t developed yet!
    Last edited by Mister T.; 02.15.08 at 03:04 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Make sure your 15-month old has a few things to do: toys, books, Cheerios, etc. It's OK for your child to make some noise...I love hearing little children in church because it means they are in church (know what I'm saying?). You just have to make sure you take 'em to the nursery once they start making too much noise.

Like ktgiles said, if you gotta use the nursery, use the nursery (everything she offered up in her post was solid). Another thing that helps as kids get older is to make sure you explain to them what's going on during the worship service, too.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 02.15.08 at 03:06 PM. Reason: So I could put the name of Yeshua the Christ in this post.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    I love hearing little children in church because it means they are in church (know what I'm saying?).
    yeah, brainwash 'em early.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,698 Times in 3,718 Posts

we're pretty lucky as our church has a seperate closed off section for those of us who have little ones. The kids are almost always well behaved.

Eruption
    Last Online

wow, lots of church goers up in this trailer, who would have thunk it?!! LOL

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,698 Times in 3,718 Posts

we're not all savages like Cerrano.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Good advice given so far. To answer your question directly, you can't ("get them to sit through a church service"). The nursery is your only refuge to being able to get your fill. As somebody else mentioned, once YOU are over the separation anxiety of dropping your youngster off at the nursery, you'll wonder why you didn't do that many months ago.

I should stipulate that your nursery staff should be a staff you're comfortable with and know will take good care of your baby. We're really lucky at our church. I'd trust all of our staff with my my kids. All trained in cpr, basic teaching fundamentals etc., and love the kids. If yours meets at least those minimums, for goodness sakes, let em' go!
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Use the nursery if you're comfortable with the people. You will be able to enjoy the service and usually the nursery will start to teach the children things that are appropriate for their age such as songs and simple prayers. It may not all sink in but you would be surprised how much they retain when lessons are presented in a manner they can relate too and that's what it's all about.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

We take our kids to nursery/classrooms. 2 yr old is pretty much a nursery, 5 yr old is more of a Sunday school class. I trust the people there.